Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I cooked up some taco meat for Hubby, and I'm baking a couple of tilapia fillets with Elote seasoning from Trader Joe's on them for me. I made a crock pot of refried beans, and the Mexican rice is simmering. I'll heat up some flour tortillas, so we can build our own "burritos" with everything.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Tonight we had Quorn patties, oven fries, green beans and sourdough bread fresh from the oven.

Jorainna and Fillies Fan like this.
  3. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Tonight I made boneless baked pork chops , asparagus, corn, and vigo rice and beans.

Last night I made sausage and peppers on the grill and burgers.

I also made chili on Saturday as well as a vegan soup for D3.
    Great to use a lot of items from my pantry and fridge to make both meals.

Jorainna, Gardencook and Fillies Fan like this.
  4. Gardencook

Taco Bell had free Doritos Locos Tacos again today so we went with drive-thru for dinner.

Jorainna, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  5. XUfan

Last night I cooked a piece of round steak for my husband. He never met my mother, but he calls it "Mom's steak" since I got the recipe from her. I didn't have any veggie burgers in the freezer, and I wasn't in the mood for fish, so I just had mashed potatoes and some vegetables.

Tonight, I'm thinking about spicy shrimp with rice.

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  6. jastwins

Last night, I made butter lemon chicken and it came out great. Here is the recipe I used.

Lemon Butter Chicken
    Servings: 4
    Prep Time15 minutes

Cook Time15 minutes

Total Time30 minutes
    Ingredients
    • 4 (5 oz) chicken breasts*, pounded to an even 1/3-inch thickness
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 Tbsp olive oil
    • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, sliced into 1 Tbsp pieces, divided
    • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    • 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
    • 1 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional)
    Instructions
    1. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.

2. Place flour in a shallow dish then dredge both sides of chicken breasts in flour, one at a time.

3. Heat 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.

4. Add olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter, let butter melt, then add in chicken breasts in a single layer.

5. Sear until golden brown on bottom, about 4 - 5 minutes then flip and continue to cook until chicken registers 165 degrees in center, about 4 - 5 minutes longer.

6. Transfer chicken to a plate while leaving any little bit of excess oil in pan.

7. Reduce to medium heat, add garlic and saute 20 seconds, or until just lightly golden brown, then pour in chicken broth while scraping browned bits up.

8. Pour in lemon juice then bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat slightly and let simmer until liquid has reduced by about half, about 2 minutes.

9. Add in remaining 3 Tbsp butter and lemon zest, stir to melt butter.

10. Return chicken to skillet, spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley. Serve warm.

11. Recipe source: inspired by my Lemon Butter Salmon
    Recipe Notes
    *2 (10 oz.) chicken breasts may be used instead. Then simply butterfly and halve the breasts (cut through the thickness of the 2 large breasts), to create 4.

Copyright © 2020 Cooking Classy

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  7. Gardencook

Dug into the freezer and found a leg of lamb roast which will be dinner tonight. We'll have Moroccan Spiced Lamb made in the clay pot -- my favorite way of preparing lamb.

Sides will be whole wheat couscous with Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce (toned down, since DH isn't a big fan of anything too spicy) and roasted asparagus.

We'll also have a couple types of unleavened whole grain bread.

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  8. Gardencook

Baked Salmon, Whole Wheat Couscous with Moroccan Red Pepper Sauce and Roasted Asparagus

Jorainna likes this.
  9. XUfan

We had veggie quesadillas last night, with rice and beans for sides.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  10. Gardencook

We're going to have something really "exotic" tonight -- CHICKEN!

Yes, DH finally landed some at a decent price. It only took three or four weeks. :eek:

Unfortunately, the pieces are pre-seasoned. Not exactly what I wanted, but you take what you can get these days.

He got two packs of drumstick/thigh quarters on a Buy One, Get One Free deal. One pack had five smaller quarters and another had three larger ones. One was herb crusted and the other had a basic, nondescript meat seasoning.

The two packs came to $6.03 total, so we can't complain about the price -- about 75 cents for each leg quarter or 37 cents for each individual piece if we divided them.

Three packs of two quarters each are safely tucked away in the freezer. Gotta stretch them after it took so long to get them!

I think we'll still try to go with the lemon chicken with potatoes, garlic and onion concept for dinner tonight, the seasonings just won't exactly be "Greek." I might add some oregano to the mix anyway, however.

I saw a photo of a pear and blue cheese salad on the Internet last night and have been hungry for one ever since. I think we'll have that on the side since we have all the ingredients to make a tasty salad -- artisan lettuce, canned pears, blue cheese crumbles and sliced almonds. Might even toss on some Craisins. We'll probably make a simple honey Dijon dressing for it.

flowerkitty, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  11. Gardencook

We had turkey, white bean and spinach soup with homemade crackers -- all from ingredients we had on hand. It was delicious!

flowerkitty, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  12. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Ham along with broccoli & cauliflower salad (with cheese & bacon) ,plus twice baked potatoes.
    Plus I made a rabbit cake for dessert (tradition).
    No family gatherings this year... makes me sad.

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  13. XUfan

Last night, we had homemade salisbury steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, and carrots roasted with red bell peppers and onions. My "salisbury steak" was a Beyond Burger in Pioneer brown gravy.

We had a late lunch today...pizza and salad. I'm not sure what we're having for dinner, but I'm betting it's something easy from the freezer (wings, coconut shrimp, etc.)

14. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

I found top round steak cut into strips in the freezer, cooked with onions and peppers. Served over rice. I need to make a grocery store run in the next day or two so I can cover the next two weeks of meals. Chicken pot pie tomorrow. Trying to eat out of my freezer.

15. jastwins

Tonight we had stuffed shells ( pre made frozen from the butcher) my defrosted and heated gravy and grilled fillet mignon. Our sides were mashed potatoes, roasted asparagus, broccoli. I made Cuban black beans for D3.
    Everything came out great on this not so typical Easter.

flowerkitty, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  16. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I baked a small turkey breast, did deviled eggs, mac & cheese, asparagus, squash, cranberry sauce and rolls. The three of us will have left overs tomorrow night.

flowerkitty, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  17. XUfan

We decided to raid the fridge for leftovers last night. Between the two of us, we emptied 5 containers. I like when I can get at least two meals out of something I cooked. And I really like it when we can clear space in the fridge!

Tonight we might have the leftover salisbury steaks, but cook some noodles to go with it, since we ate the rest of the mashed potatoes last night.

flowerkitty, Gardencook and Cathy like this.
  18. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Tonite will be flatbread pizza. I have pepperoni,mushrooms,red pepper and onions in the fridge. The flatbreads that I found at Aldi are yummy.

19. jastwins

I fried chicken cutlets, made Mc Cain tater tots in my ninja foodie oven, cooked up frozen corn on the cob and reheated last night’s mashed potatoes .

20. Gardencook

I asked DH to pick up a rotisserie chicken today while he was dropping off my computer at the repair shop (Microsoft REALLY did a number on it with its updates while Coronavirus has been raging. The technician said there are at least 15 computers on which he's currently working with Microsoft update problems!!! :mad:)

Anyway, I was stunned to learn the store that normally charges $6.99 for rotisserie chickens is only charging $3.99 this week, so I had him get some more. Can't seem to get much raw chicken right now, so at that price we might as well enjoy them cooked.

We were supposed to have potato salad with it, but we got busy with other things and just ended up with chicken. Guess we'll have the potato salad with chicken tomorrow.

jastwins likes this.
Moderators: KimShaw