Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. MEN ON A BUDGET

MEN ON A BUDGET Member

Tonight we had corned beef sandwiches with Weight Watcher fries. You may have figured out that the corned beef was leftover from Tuesday's dinner.

Weight Watcher fries are simply cut potatoes that are soaked in a sugar/water mixture for about 15-20 minutes before baking. The sugar helps to crisp up the potatoes but without the grease of oil fried so they are healthier (and cheaper) than fast food. Sorry, McDonald's but when it comes to home-cooked, "I'm Lovin' It."

The break we took between Tuesday and tonight gave us a copycat recipe of "Bang Bang Shrimp" (Bonefish Grill) last night. We had bought the raw shrimp on sale for $6.50/lb so the main entree gave us a very nice dinner, filling as heck, for about $4/plate. Here was the recipe:
    https://dinnerthendessert.com/bang-bang-shrimp/

Tomorrow? Well, you're just going to have to stay tuned. I can assure you that it will more than likely be cheap and easy ((ironically two adjectives that fit me to a "t," proving the expression "you are what you eat."))

Looking forward to more recipes and meal ideas from each of you.

What's on YOUR plate?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Still no chicken at the grocery store today and I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel with my cold, so probably won't be as desperate for it by the time it finally arrives.

Tonight we tossed together a hamburger and pasta skillet casserole from food storage we had on hand.

Made a big batch so we'd have leftovers for the weekend.

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  3. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

So I attempted Chicken ala king last night. We have a basic one, just a little chicken breast in a white sauce with peas added in over biscuits. So I cook the chicken, then start the rue and instead of adding milk, I added a can of chicken broth, oops. Well it will be alright. Then look for peas, nope no peas in the house in any variation. I ALWAYS have peas, I love peas. Now after having a 2 year stockpile of canned peas that I have been working thru and quite a few bags of frozen peas, I am out of peas. I should have looked at my supply before this pandemic I guess. So I threw in some minute rice and called it a day. It was edible, that's all I can say.

4. Gardencook

Pulled a frozen boil-in-bag chicken and gravy with brown rice entree from the freezer tonight and heated up green beans to go with it.

We weren't that hungry since we had leftover hamburger pasta casserole for lunch.

Jorainna likes this.
  5. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Today we grilled a london broil and had a few sides to go with it. We had, from the freezer, turnips, Birdseye string beans and potato, corn, leftover veggies from last night (a broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix) and fresh asparagus that we roasted in a pan on the grill. I try to cook more veggies for d3 who is vegan. We also had some spinach salad.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  6. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Last night's dinner was a "leftover/combo" night.

I rough chopped the leftover roasted asparagus, and added it to the leftover rice. Then I added about a cup of chicken broth, and let it all heat up together. When it was warm, I stirred in some shredded cheese. I ate it with a piece of leftover tilapia. It was a really good dinner!

Hubby mixed the leftover taco meat with leftover mac and cheese. He said he really liked it, and would eat it again some time.

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  7. jastwins

I made my own meatballs and gravy. Crankie saw some veal cubes and I added them to the sauce as well. I used Barilla rotini pasta and will have leftovers for my neighbor and for us tomorrow.

8. Gardencook

Vampire Slayer's Soup and Molasses Oatmeal Bread in the bread machine.

Trying to kick the end of this stuff I've been fighting for weeks.

It is all ingredients we have on hand and since bread has been in such short supply at the store it seemed silly not to start using the ingredients we already had. Made a loaf of no knead artisan bread the other night.

Tried to pick some really simple recipes since DH is cooking, so we'll see how it goes. We never eat until 8 or 9 p.m. when he cooks :rolleyes: ... Kind of hard to eat earlier when you give him the recipes at 3 p.m. and he doesn't start cooking until 7!

Jorainna, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  9. Gardencook

Cooked up a bag of black beans from our stockpile overnight. Used the Crock-Pot so there was virtually no work involved.

Tonight we're planning chicken and black bean wet burritos with a Chilean Quinoa boxed side to go with it.

10. MEN ON A BUDGET

MEN ON A BUDGET Member

Tonight we decided on Chicken Paprikash since we had thawed the thighs the other day. We have leftovers for tomorrow as well as leftovers from the sausage-tortellini soup I made the other day. And we have enough of the Paprikash gravy to serve on rice in a day or two as a side dish. We have months worth of vegetables, proteins, and starches to morph dozens of meals in the week(s) ahead. Like Gardencook above my post, my wife and I will be making our own breads, pasta and new things short of churning our own butter. I'm thinking everything from pretzels to spaetzels (grin)

11. Gardencook

Black Bean Soup with Lemon Cream and Cornbread on the side

Jorainna likes this.
  12. jastwins

We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs with tater tots and bush s baked beans as our sides.

13. XUfan

Last night, I made one of my favorite comfort foods. My husband calls it tuna gravy. I saute some onions in butter, and then add flour. Then I add milk until it's the consistency of gravy. I add some chicken bouillon, garlic powder and black pepper. Then I add a couple of pouches of tuna, and some frozen peas that have thawed. When it's all warm, I add a handful of shredded cheddar, and stir it up. I serve it over biscuits. I've also served it over noodles or mashed potatoes.

14. jastwins

Tonight I baked boneless pork chops in the oven and used my ninja oven to bake some asparagus and zucchini. Another side was roasted garlic couscous which Crankie have a thumbs down. I also reheated some leftover veggies in my refrigerator.

15. Gardencook

Still working our way through the black beans we cooked from scratch.

Tonight we'll have Cuban Black Beans over a bed of grain mix that we really love. It has Japanese Sweet Barley, Freekeh and Bulgur Wheat.

We've got shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream as toppings.

Jorainna likes this.
  16. Gardencook

Tonight we're using a Zesty Lemon Quinoa and Brown Rice boxed side dish, doctored with fresh veggies to make stuffed green peppers.

We'll have Mackerel Patties along with them -- using canned fish -- and roasted asparagus.

17. jastwins

Today I made a vegetable broth using veggie scraps I had in the freezer. The veggie broth was used in a vegan rice recipe that D1 found for me. I seasoned some chop meat and cooked that up. I also made Chicken fajitas with red peppers and onions. We heated up flour tortillas and have salad, salsa, sour cream and some sauce to go with our meal . Everyone enjoyed it.

18. XUfan

We had spaghetti last night. In a few days, I'll put the leftovers in baking dishes, layering them with cheese before reheating. We had garlic breadsticks from Aldi with our dinner last night. They were surprisingly good!

Jorainna, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  19. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

tuna fish casserole and peas.

20. Gardencook

Navajo Tacos

Making the "fry" bread from scratch using half whole wheat flour and baking instead of frying.

We're topping them with canned chili doctored with fresh green pepper. Then the additional toppings we've got on hand include tomatoes, avocado, green onions, cilantro, salsa and cheese.

Wish we had some lettuce, but we don't and DH hasn't been able to locate the sour cream for which we've been searching on several shopping trips. We've been using some from a tube previously, but it finally ran out yesterday.

We've got some "health food/whole grain/gourmet" cookie and bar mixes that need to be used, so made cookies for dessert.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Jorainna likes this.
Moderators: KimShaw