Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Tonight I fried fresh flounder Crankie bought at a fish market and it was delicious. Our sides were roasted asparagus, spinach salad and minute rice.

Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  2. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Last night we pulled a bunch of odds and ends from the fridge and had leftover night. There were still lots of things left in there when we were done, so we're doing it again tonight! I'll add a salad and a vegetable side to freshen it up.

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  3. XUfan

Last night was Family Dinner night. We do it every Tuesday. My son and his family...and sometimes my stepdaughter...come over after work, and have dinner together. Last night we had sloppy joes (mine were made with tuna, but everyone else ate the standard ones with ground beef), roasted potatoes and carrots, and a mixture of zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions. I also made cole slaw for our salad. For dessert, I made angel food cake, and topped it with fresh fruit.

Tonight, I'm not sure. But I'm leaning toward pork chops or chicken for Hubby, and probably tilapia for me. I know there's some asparagus in the fridge that needs to be cooked today, so we'll have that too. Maybe rice?

Cathy and jastwins like this.
  4. jastwins

On Monday night, I had leftover flounder and rice. Last night I finished my pasta and gravy. Tonight will be tuna fish unless I get inspired to make something else.

Cathy likes this.
  5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We've been having a variety of "interesting" dishes the past several nights. DH took over the kitchen and I've been sick so nothing really had flavor. Of course, DH's lack of cooking skills didn't exactly enhance an already dulled appetite. lol!

One night we had chicken egg drop soup/pudding. I wanted nothing more than a nice brothy soup that night and tried to explain a simple egg drop soup to DH, however, I generally use a small amount of whole wheat spaghetti instead of ramen noodles. Although I explained "small amount" and later had DH add a second quart of chicken broth to the first one, it still turned into a casserole -- not exactly what I wanted on my sore throat.

After that, I opted for whole grain soda crackers for dinner, since I really didn't have an appetite anyway.

He did a pretty good job on the onion soup I asked him to make one night, although I opted to forego the bread and cheese on top, since I tend to be allergic to dairy products anyway. The soup was good, but I missed the cheese.

A couple of nights I ended up with huge piles of fish fillets, because I never have been able to get DH to understand "portion control." He just thinks it is easier to open a package and cook the whole thing.

So much for my nice supply of frozen fish.

I asked for refried beans with a little taco sauce one night and ended up with taco sauce dumped all over the top of canned chili. Didn't even attempt to eat that, so he finished it off and I went to bed without eating.

Last night we had frozen chicken and veggie burgers on whole wheat buns with oven fries and salad.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    jastwins likes this.
  6. Gardencook

Tonight is supposed to be cream of asparagus soup since I bought a bunch of asparagus before I realized how long this illness was going to last. We'll see how DH does with it. :rolleyes:

We'll also have chicken and veggie burgers on whole wheat buns.

jastwins likes this.
  7. Gardencook

We were supposed to have Greek Lemon Chicken with blue potatoes, onions and garlic for dinner tonight. We had everything on hand except the chicken, however, panic buying has arrived and even though the sale price wasn't that great, the store was wiped out of chicken thighs -- among other things. :rolleyes:

Decided to make sarma casserole for dinner instead using a vegetarian "meat" substitute that was in stock and free after coupon.

It will make dinner later than planned, but you've got to roll with the punches and at least the store wasn't out of cabbage!

jastwins and Cathy like this.
  8. Gardencook

Made corned beef and cabbage (with potatoes and carrots) in the Crock-Pot tonight.

Garlic bread on the side.

Cathy likes this.
  9. Gardencook

We had enough leftover corned beef and cabbage to take care of dinner tonight.

10. XUfan

Our grandson was in town this weekend. He spent most of the time catching up with some of his buddies. But, he stopped at our house for dinner last night before he headed north.

If anyone here is a basketball fan, you know that yesterday SHOULD have been Selection Sunday for the NCAA tournament. And at my house, it's usually a feast! Not yesterday. Hubby cooked burgers on the grill, and I made potato salad and chocolate chip cookies. All three of these things are my grandson's favorites, so he was very happy!

I have no idea what we're eating for dinner tonight. But it might be leftovers.

Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

Still no chicken for the Greek chicken with lemon, onions and garlic I've been craving. :( Not starving, just think the ingredients would kick the rest of this "stuff."

So instead we will be having fish tacos on whole wheat tortillas with whiting, guacamole salsa and cheese.

They were supposed to have cabbage, but DH forgot to buy more, so I think we'll have a lettuce salad on the side.

We'll have a boxed brown rice and black beans side dish with it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    jastwins likes this.
  12. XUfan

We ended up having soft tacos last night.

Hubby is having problems with one of his teeth, and would rather have softer food for a few days. So, I think we'll have tuna noodle casserole tonight. I found a really good recipe about a year ago, that doesn't use Campbell's soup. Mostly, it's pantry ingredients. It does call for mushrooms, but you could probably use canned (or leave them out if you don't like them). Everything else is normally in my pantry. Here's the link:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/skinny-tuna-noodle-casserole-52669351

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  13. Gardencook

Mackerel patties, oven fries and green beans.

We also cooked up a brownie mix and doctored it with extra whole wheat flour.

14. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

3 ways for dinner for us. If you never heard of them, it's spaghetti with Cincinnati style chili and topped with cheddar cheese. We like Dixie Chili the best. Tomorrow will be the leftovers, as a can of chili will last 2 meals.

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  15. XUfan

Over the past couple of weeks, I stocked up on lots of food items. I didn't take into account that my husband wouldn't have dental issues right away, and not be able to chew anything. This has added a new challenge to my planning. I'll report back when I figure out what I'm cooking tonight.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  16. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Last night we had rotisserie chicken, squash, asparagus, potatoes and Hawiian rolls. (Hubby could not have the rolls.)
    We will have leftovers tonight ...

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  17. Gardencook

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  18. XUfan

Last night we had fish and rice.

Tonight Hubby will have chicken, and I will have the rest of the fish from last night. He asked for mashed potatoes too. I will probably steam some fresh broccoli too.

jastwins, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  19. jastwins

Last night was leftover pasta and meatballs for me. D1 had a steak. D3 made bow tie pasta with spinach pesto.

Gardencook likes this.
  20. Gardencook

DH got a rare markdown on a few small yellow summer squash yesterday so we had to enjoy them as long as we had them.

We did a loose adaptation of this recipe:
    Salmon and Summer Veggies in Foil

We had some frozen salmon fillets and one was large enough to serve two of us, so we simply made one foil pouch rather than have a bunch of leftovers.

We increased the amount of squash, used canned tomatoes instead of fresh and substituted green onions for shallots. It was really tasty!

We had roasted blue potatoes and roasted asparagus on the side.

Moderators: KimShaw