Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Yesterday I visited my 93 year young neighbor and we had a lovely chat. I love this woman and her witty sense of humor. She is sharper than many younger people I know and still drives!!! We talked about my girls and how they are doing in college. She told me about her childhood (mom left the family when she was 11) and her dad did the best he could with 8 kids!!!!! She was sent to a Catholic boarding school and loved it while her sister did not stay and went to live with an aunt. From there, a friend of the family helped her get to nursing school and let her live with them until she could finish. My neighbor was one of the first nurse practioners and loved her job. I loved hearing her stories.
    As always, at 5 pm, my neighbor has her martini (watered down with ice LOL) and I had a glass of wine with her . She told me how the bottle of gin was too heavy to lift every day, so she makes a week's worth of martinis on Sunday and pours them in smaller jars for her to put in a glass each day. I kid you not!! Anyway, she sent me home with meatloaf and a salad since she said she always buys too much food. I ate the salad last night and saved half of the meatloaf for lunch today. It was all delicious.

2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We had BBQ Chicken, Oven Fries and a Sweet Kale Salad kit.

The spring rolls were completely unnecessary and made the meal WAY too big, but DH cooked dinner and apparently thought they were a good idea. :p

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  3. jastwins

Last night, I stopped at Wendys and got a grilled chicken wrap kids meal for $1.99 and small chili. I saved the chili for lunch today.
    Tonight, I am going to the National Honor Society Induction dinner. As 10th grade adviser, I am proud that the entire class of 14 is being inducted tonight. The Inn where the dinner is being held usually has good food and I look forward to whatever they prepare.

Jorainna, Cathy and Gardencook like this.
  4. Gardencook

Fish and salad.

We were so busy fighting computer problems we were doing well to get that much in our stomachs.

Jorainna likes this.
  5. jastwins

Last night, at the National Honor Society dinner, we were served salad, Roast chicken with gravy, string beans and some version of hash brown potatoes that was actually pretty good. Dessert was a slimmed down version of strawberry short cake.

Jorainna, Gardencook and Cathy like this.
  6. Gardencook

Tonight we are having steak, baked potato, green beans and Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread Rolls.

We've got a Key Lime Pie for dessert. :)

Jorainna, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  7. Gardencook

Smoked beef sausage, potato, caramelized onion and sweet pepper hash with more Cheesecake Factory Brown Garlic Bread. (DH wanted that instead of the rolls last night. ;) We got both on markdown, so it really didn't matter.)

More Key Lime Pie for dessert.

Jorainna, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

Friday night Crankie picked up gyro sandwiches for himself and D2. I had a grilled chicken salad with vinaigrette dressing and it was very tasty.
    Last night Crankie and I had shell steaks that I broiled. Our sides were tater tots and green giant frozen carrots in butter sauce

Jorainna, Gardencook and Cathy like this.
  9. Gardencook

Tonight we'll have pan fried Mahi Mahi, oven fries, coleslaw and jalapeño corn muffins.

I'm always fascinated by the different names various regions of the country put on foods. Every time @jastwins mentions "shell steaks" I have to go do a search to figure out what she's eating. We don't have them here so I'm never sure if it is beef or seafood. :p

From what Google tells me, it is what we call a "strip steak" here, but I forget by the time she mentions it again and have to go do another search.

10. jastwins

@Gardencook,you are correct. It is a strip steak and they just call it shell steak here and it was on the package. After looking it up, it is the same thing as NY Strip steak, Kansas city steak, and are all the same type of steak . It is cut from the strip loin of the sirloin, and consist of muscle that does little work and is considered particularly tender, according to Wikipedia.
    Tonight will be tuna fish, spinach salad and mushrooms.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  11. Gardencook

Tonight we had beef teriyaki stir fry and brown rice.

Yogurt for dessert.

Jorainna and Cathy like this.
  12. Gardencook

Mahi Mahi
    Oven Fries
    Broccoli Cheese Soup

13. jastwins

Tonight I plan on making scrambled eggs and heating up some veggies I made the other night. I may incorporate the mushrooms into an omelet for myself.

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  14. Gardencook

Tyson "Air-fried" chicken patties, oven fries and salad.

I've been gorging on Mandarin oranges for dessert the past several evenings, but we'll probably have yogurt a little later, as well.

jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  15. Gardencook

DH had a loaded veggie omelette with whole grain toast and hash browns.

I had the grilled haddock, mashed potatoes, broccoli, Caesar salad and garlic bread.

No extra charge for the waiter who tried to convince me I didn't look 55. :p

We had a coupon for $5/$20 at Denny's and a gift card to cover it, so no money OOP.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  16. Gardencook

Last night I had Baja Chicken Tacos with Black Beans and Cilantro Lime Rice.

DH had a grilled turkey burger and salad.

We had a Cheesecake Factory gift card to cover the cost, so no money OOP.

Tonight we had Applebee's Two for $22 menu. We both had sirloin steaks and steamed broccoli. DH had a baked potato and I had mashed. We had Caesar salads as the appetizer that comes with the meal.

Once again a gift card covered the cost, so no money OOP.

jastwins likes this.
  17. Gardencook

Tonight we had a half-price Chicken Parmesan platter at Johnny Carino's with free cheesecake. It was on our way home from Boise to attend a funeral in the family.

It wasn't a bad deal since we knew we'd have enough leftover to bring home for another meal. We don't have a Carino's here, so it makes for a nice change of pace.

It will end our nightly restaurant meals for a while.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. jastwins

I cooked 2 chicken breasts in the fry pan and saved one for tomorrow. In the same fry pan, after the chicken was done, I sautéed spinach z as bd 2 small zucchini. Tonight I ate half and saved half for tomorrow night.

Gardencook likes this.
  19. Gardencook

We had leftover Chicken Parmesan, Spaghetti and Mozzarella Sticks tonight.

At the moment I'm not really hungry for cheesecake, but DH LOVES cheesecake, so I'm sure the piece we brought home from the restaurant is calling his name. I'll just try to get him talked into waiting a while before we have it. The piece is huge and will definitely feed two.

jastwins likes this.
  20. Gardencook

Last night we had frozen dinners -- Country Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn.

Tonight we are having Breaded Whiting Fillets and Poblano, Corn and Potato Chowder with Fieasta Lime Coleslaw.

jastwins likes this.
Moderators: KimShaw