Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Beef Teriyaki Stir-fry and Brown Rice

Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  2. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

We have had some great meals over the holidays and I did not get to post. Here is a recap:
    Christmas Eve We catered from our favorite Italian restaurant and it was great. We had: Seafood Fradiavlo, Veal Parmagiana, Stuffed Mushrooms, Baked Clams, Swordfish, Chicken Francaise and Spaghetti with garlic and oil.
    I made Penne ala vodka (vegetarian version), we had Shrimp cocktail and antipasto salad (olives, soppressata and cheese. Let's not forget the Italian bread!!!

On Christmas day, I made a 15.5 lb prime rib roast and it was divine. The butcher gave us a great piece of meat and I cooked it perfectly following his directions. It was worth every penny and fed the 12 of us with leftovers. Our sides included: baked butternut squash, string bean casserole (which I messed up and will not cook again), Corn casserole, salad, roasted eggplant and more Italian bread!

Our desserts included grain pie from the bakery, my mom's home made cream puffs, Tiramisu, her delicious rainbow cookies and tea time tassies ( a walnut cookie tart), store bought apple pie & pecan pie. Do you see why losing weight is so tough in my family?
    On New Year's day, I made a ham and veggies and have leftovers still in my fridge.

Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  3. Gardencook

We'll be having Honey Chipotle Salmon, French fries and coleslaw.

4. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

Leftovers. DH is having hot dogs and chili cheese fries. I had leftover veggies and chicken.

Jorainna, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  5. jastwins

Tonight was zucchini quiche, with leftovers of ham and fettuccine Alfredo

Jorainna and Gardencook like this.
  6. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Oven-fried chicken breasts, cut into strips. Mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, and Italian white beans.

Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  7. bugweena

bugweena Well-Known Member Trader Group

Leftovers again tonight. So happy my DH likes leftovers! Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Will have a salad or some veggie.

jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  8. Gardencook

Tried some new-to-us organic pizzas tonight since we had coupons and got a 10 percent discount on house brands today.

The pizzas were rather small so we cooked up two of them. One was a beet and goat cheese with butternut squash and the other was an Italian vegetable one.

They were REALLY delicious!

9. XUfan

Those pizzas sound wonderful! Do you remember what brand they were? I'd love to try them.

Speaking of pizza, that's what we're having for dinner tonight. I picked up some refrigerated pizza crusts on clearance yesterday. I have all of the toppings on hand, so I don't even need to run to the store for anything. I want to try making a sauce, so I'll be looking at recipes this morning. A pizza place near us has a wonderful sauce that's on the sweet side. I'd love to replicate it!

10. jastwins

Last night, after stepping on the scale at the dr.'s office (UGH), I opted to get Wendy's Chili instead of my usual burger and fries. It was cheaper and filling too. At Walmart, I bought a .50 cent diet coke from the soda machine outside the store.
    D3 is now full vegan....this is driving me nuts. After i buy a gallon of milk at Walmart she tells me she won't drink it. I told her she is on her own for meals since I am at a loss at what to cook anymore. Luckily, I did buy sweet potatoes, avocados, bananas at Walmart last night and i had stocked up on quinoa and and cous cous earlier.

Gardencook likes this.
  11. Gardencook

Jorainna likes this.
  12. XUfan

Gardencook...
    Thanks for the info about the pizzas. You're right about the normal lack of selection. Most frozen pizza companies only offer cheese for a meatless option. A few offer a standard veggie, but not all. It's been a while since I browsed the frozen pizza aisle at Kroger. I guess I need to check out the Private Selection section!

Thanks!!

Jorainna, Gardencook and jastwins like this.
  13. Gardencook

I didn't grow up with Kroger @XUfan, so it took me a while to get on the bandwagon. However, I did grow up with Fred Meyer which is one of the local chains Kroger purchased. The past several years I've become a much bigger fan due to some pretty ingenious and aggressive marketing strategies.

Kroger does a pretty good job interpreting our purchase preferences to decide how to tempt me with when it introduces new products -- or in some cases draw my attention to things it thinks I'd purchase IF I'm not noticing it on the shelf yet. :p

It also seems more innovative than a lot of competitors when it comes to creating new house brand products. A while back they sold some DELICIOUS salmon bites in a multi-grain breading that we REALLY loved.
    upload_2020-1-8_9-39-28.jpeg

However, sometimes all we have to do is enjoy a product for them to get rid of it. Maybe they still sell them at other Kroger stores across the nation, but we can't get them here any longer and we really miss them. :(

It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I realized Kroger has its own plants manufacturing most of its house brand products instead of farming out the work to big name manufacturers like most grocery chains.

It does seem like Kroger house brands often meet higher standards than some house brand products and I can't help but wonder if that isn't reflected in its manufacturing standards since I rarely see recalls on Kroger brand products like so many other brands.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed the Simple Truth Organic Refried Beans you've been interested in previously are on the Natural Foods event again. They're normally $1.19 a can, but are 79 cents after five times coupon. Kroger has refried black beans so I always enjoy getting my hands on them.

The Simple Truth Organic beans are also included with a 30 cent five times coupon. Kroger has a tri-bean blend we enjoy -- something else other manufacturers don't carry. ;)

Those coupons didn't drop off the card, so can be re-used. :)

Attached Files:

14. XUfan

Jasmine, your post reminded me that I have an upcoming appointment with the doctor. I have to go every 6 months to get my blood pressure checked, and get my meds renewed. I checked on the patient portal, and saw that my appointment is on Feb 12. That doesn't give me much time to get down to a weight where she won't lecture me! :eek:

15. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

Not only do I worry over the weight aspect, but the sodium is the bigger issue in all the foods. All the wonderful frozen foods you all are getting, especially the pizzas are what I crave, but the sodium content is so high it would take my blood pressure off the charts.
    At Wendy's it would be better for me to get the plain Jr. cheeseburger- no cheese, as cheese is loaded in salt. I would LOVE the chili but it is over 1100mg whereas the burger would be under 400mg. The American Heart Association says we should consume only 1500 to 2000mg per day and I try to obey that, but it is so hard.

I cannot cook from scratch every night as I work full time, so we are stuck in a rut on dinners and variety. I am thankful but so tired of our local Chinese restaurant's steamed pork and mixed vegetables, Pie 5's cauliflower crust pizza with olive oil and Subway chicken strip subs. Then there is BD's Mongolian grill but due to cost it is not feasible to have often.

Hubby has to watch protein, phosphate, potassium and sodium on the renal diet so even home cooked meals are a challenge when you take into consideration his personal taste buds - he won't eat lettuce for instance!

Out of our 11 Kroger's in town, only one of them carry Boar's Head low sodium turkey deli meat which is at an unbelievable 15 mg and of course they charge outrageous for it. It's not something that will ever show up in the reduced bin ... LOL!

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  16. Gardencook

Is that the daughter who likes to cook @jastwins?

If so, could you possibly talk her into doing "meal prep" a couple times a week? Whole Food, Plant Based diets are vegan, but probably much more stringent than interests your daughter. However, one of the things they do to stay on track is to cook up things like a pot of beans, a pot of grains and chop a wide variety of veggies, then package them individually and stick them in the fridge for quick meals to last several days.

Once all of that is done you've got options -- veggie bowls with a grain or sweet potato base; enchiladas, tacos or burritos stuffed with all the same ingredients or huge filling salads. Vegetable soups take almost no time if you've got ingredients ready to go.

Once the beans and grains are cooked it is a simple task to toss them together with some vegetables to make veggie burgers.

A benefit is the ingredients she prepped would be on hand for you in your quest to eat healthier, as well. One of the toughest challenges of eating right is to come home from work exhausted with no desire to wash and cut veggies. But the only difference between a veggie bowl and a non-veggie bowl is the addition or subtraction of some meat. A nice salad goes just as well with a piece of meat as a veggie burger, so it would work for either diet, as well.

Polenta is super simple to make in a Crock-pot with almost no work. It just takes a little more watching/stirring on the stovetop. You can use it as a base for a bowl one night and then refrigerate the leftovers in a pan and cut the cold polenta into "fries" the following night. If you cut it into squares, a simple tomato sauce over the top makes a tasty meal.

There are also a lot of good looking recipes using cauliflower, lentils and quinoa in place of meat in traditional recipes like tacos or sloppy Joe's. Canned jackfruit is another popular option, but around here you've got to get it at an Asian grocery -- which we don't have. (They sell it on Amazon, but at a premium price.)

She could have veggie "meat" while you and Frank had real meat in your tacos. Sloppy Joe "meat" works over potatoes or in a bowl for more variety.

Vegan chili is another option to which you could add ground beef before serving. That's another item that can be prepped in advance and put in smaller containers if you and Frank don't want the same meal.

I've been collecting a lot of that type recipe on Pinterest, toying with the idea of going Whole Food, Plant Based to kick start healthier eating. Some of them look pretty tasty, if you could just get your daughter to prep in advance.

jastwins likes this.
  17. XUfan

I cannot imagine having to figure out meals with so many different restrictions. And when you add a tight budget to that (which I deal with too), it makes it even harder.

jastwins, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  18. Gardencook

I can empathize @Jorainna. Every time I pull a can of refried beans from the shelf for a quick meal I kick myself because I didn't make them from scratch. The sodium level in those things is astronomical -- especially as a dip with tortilla chips adding all that additional fat AND salt. It isn't like a don't have plenty of dried beans on hand that aren't hard to fix in the Crock-Pot. :oops:

I've been doing a lot more with my Crock-Pot the last few years. Why stand over a stove when you can dump scratch ingredients in a pot and have food ready on your schedule?

I've been in a funk for quite some time now, and haven't been eating the way I should. I have been able to relate to the ladies trying to get back on track in the new year and have been making baby steps in the right direction.

I've got to watch salt and fat, but thankfully it isn't under doctor's orders. I've always wondered how I'd cope with potassium concerns in the picture due to kidney problems. Thankfully I've got a husband who will eat most things -- as long as it isn't split pea soup or chicken giblets -- both of which I love. Had I been forced to cook for my finicky FIL who wouldn't eat ANY vegetables I would have gone mad! :p

Generally speaking I try to make it a little better by "balancing" foods. If we're eating pizza I'm more likely to go with a big salad on the side than the chicken wings or deep fried mozzarella sticks pizza parlors try to convince us are a necessity.

I try to minimize the "problem" foods on the plate while finding every excuse to fill most of the space with veggies and fruits. I "hide" vegetables and whole grains in all sorts of odd places you wouldn't expect to find them. :D I realize that isn't enough for those with extreme health conditions, however.

Have you tried making use of the wide variety of chopped veggies Kroger offers these days? They aren't as cheap as cutting them yourself, but the stir-fry kits do have a nice selection of prepared veggies. Even if you tossed out the sauce that comes with them, it still seems like it would be cheaper than take-out.

I really like convenience and selection of the bagged greens Kroger sells -- kale, collards, turnip greens and spinach. I didn't grow up eating greens, but made a determined effort to learn. Collards cook up nicely in the Crock-Pot with smoked paprika instead of ham.

I also make good use of coleslaw mix. It is so much easier than cutting up a whole head of cabbage. It works really well in cabbage soup or "Sarma" (stuffed cabbage) casserole and I've been craving "Rumbledethumps" (a Scottish mashed potato dish with cabbage) for a couple weeks now. However, it will be made with coleslaw mix when I finally get around to it. ;)

I don't like the shredded carrots in a bag nearly as well as when I shred them myself, but when it comes down to eating bagged shredded carrots or NO shredded carrots -- at least we ARE getting carrots. The sliced ones in a bag are great in a stir-fry, as well.

Years ago I made virtually EVERYTHING from scratch. I was a bread-baking machine, constantly gifting whole grain loaves to all our friends. We rarely had convenience foods in the house, but along the way I noticed that I was making so much work for myself that I'd get tired and talk DH into a restaurant meal way too often. That kind of defeated the purpose.

I finally decided to give myself some slack and take some shortcuts and now I just need to get back to middle-ground once again.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  19. Gardencook

Tonight we had Sesame Teriyaki Salmon, Chili Sesame Stir-Fry and Brown Rice

Jorainna likes this.
  20. jastwins

@Gardencook, thank you for so many excellent ideas and options that did not come to mind. I spoke with d3 and she would love to try some crockpot meals with the beans and remembered that my mom made polenta. I will be trying to pick up some beans today and see what happens. It can't hurt to try.

Moderators: KimShaw