Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Last night we had my son's family over to help with the Christmas decorations. Of course, I fed everyone! We had sloppy joes, roasted potatoes and carrots, and roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

Tonight, I'm not sure yet!

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Believe it or not, today's lunch was French fries. I went back to that same restaurant which has the bacon cheeseburgers but was not hungry enough to eat one. That said, I could not pass up their French fries, which are delicious.

They are the kind that I used to get many years ago in the US but haven't been able to find in the last couple of decades. They are soaked in oil so that when you get them they are soft. As a kid, I loved getting them at Coney Island and, a bit later in life, at county and state fairs. They were always sold in bags -- although in this restaurant they came on a plate.

I think they disappeared in the States because they are definitely not healthy. In fact, even without the bacon cheeseburger, I could feel my arteries getting clogged. But, hey -- I am 73-years-old and means that no matter what I eat, drink, or smoke there is absolutely no chance of my dying at an early age.

I also had fun teasing my "Russian girlfriend". I told her that I now have proof that I am much nicer than she is. When she asked me how, I told her, "I have taken you to lunch for years and bought gifts for you and your family but you never offered to make love to me in order to thank me. For my birthday you bought me a very expensive bottle of Cognac and to thank you I am willing to make love to you. That proves I am nicer."

She broke out into almost hysterical laughter. :D

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
@Fillies Fan , you are hysterical and so logical!!

Last night, I went to vote for our town fire chief (aka a co-worker and the father of d1's boyfriend), but the vote was from 6-9 pm. I had considered going off island to food shop, but after waiting over 40 mins to vote, I put off food shopping until today. So I stopped by the IGA, bought Perdue Chicken nuggets and had them with honey mustard sauce and finished off some macaroni salad from the weekend. Tonight, I will eat at Mcd or BK since I have to shop at 4 different stores. Three are in one small shopping center and the other is 5 mins down the road.

XUfan

Trader Group
Fillies Fan...I don't speak for everyone here, but I know a lot of people who have called French Fries lunch! Myself included! ;) But, you're right about the "old" fries not being around anymore. Once they decided we shouldn't eat trans fats, nothing has tasted the same! :mad:

Gardencook

Trader Group
I've gotten behind on posting again, mostly because the keyboard problems on my computer are driving me CRAZY.

We had modified "Rachael" sandwiches with tomato soup for dinner one night. They were made on whole wheat bread instead of rye. Then we used turkey pastrami, homemade fennel seed sauerkraut and some of the jalapeño cheese we got for 25 cents a package on our recent trip.

We dropped into Carl's, Jr. for chicken fillet sandwiches one night.

Another night we had stir-fry -- using up veggies we had on hand, some of the pineapple teriyaki meatballs we got for 97 cents on our recent trip.

We cooked up a whole bag of brown rice. Used some to go with the stir-fry and meatballs and planned leftovers for other meals.

Last night, we had Lamb Saag with Basmati rice. Got a good deal on Saffron Road frozen meals and can't resist treating ourselves to lamb in a t.v. dinner when we can get it.

Tonight will be sarma casserole -- basically "unstuffed" cabbage. We'll use leftover brown rice, more of the cabbage we cut into the other night and a one pound roll of ground beef we got on markdown for $1.49 on our recent trip. It was frozen when we bought it with plans to use it in Washington. However, I caught cold and we didn't get it used. Thankfully, we were able to get it home still frozen packed on ice in the cooler.

The additional ingredients will be things we have on hand -- onions, garlic, a hot pepper we got in a discount bag on our trip, spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes, V8 juice, red wine, seasonings and shredded cheese.

jastwins

Trader Group
I plan to make beef stew tonight in hopes of having leftovers for tomorrow. After reading a NY Times beef stew recipe, I read the reviews to see how other people liked it. Will be adding more spices and as always, I sautee my onions first.

Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
MOLLY O'NEILL
  • YIELD4 servings
  • TIME2 hours 30 minutes
Save To Recipe Box
EmailShare on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Twitter
15COOKING-OLD-BEEF-STEW2-articleLarge.jpg

Craig Lee for The New York Times

This classic stick-to-your-ribs stew is the ideal project for a chilly weekend. Beef, onion, carrots, potatoes and red wine come together in cozy harmony. If you are feeding a crowd, good news: It doubles (or triples) beautifully.

Featured in: A Simmer Of Hope.

Beef Stew Meat, Carrot, Potato

2,994 ratings

INGREDIENTS
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 pound beef stewing meat, trimmed and cut into inch cubes
  • 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 ½ cups beef broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
  • 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
  • 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 2 teaspoons salt
Email Grocery List
PREPARATION
  1. Combine the flour and pepper in a bowl, add the beef and toss to coat well. Heat 3 teaspoons of the oil in a large pot. Add the beef a few pieces at a time; do not overcrowd. Cook, turning the pieces until beef is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch; add more oil as needed between batches.
  2. Remove the beef from the pot and add the vinegar and wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the beef, beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
  3. Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. Add broth or water if the stew is dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle among 4 bowls and serve.
COOKING NOTES

Gardencook

Trader Group
Tonight we'll have lemon pepper turkey tenderloin with cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and roasted yellow beets and carrots.

Chocolate mint ice cream for desert

XUfan

Trader Group
Last night we went to Hubby's sister's new house for a family get-together. She made two soups and a pot of chili, and everyone brought appetizers to share. I took mushroom stuffed mushrooms, and Chinese Fried pecans. We had great food, good company, and lots of fun!

Hubby and I took an Uber home (now that they moved, it's a 4 minute drive, but why take the chance?). Just as we got to our house, I realized that my purse was still at their house! And just as I realized it, I got a text from them, telling me it was there. I knew it was safe, so I told them we'd pick it up this morning. I've never done that before!

I have absolutely no idea what we're having for dinner! My mind has been on the Christmas menu!!

Gardencook

Trader Group
Got a good deal on a package of ground turkey and tater tots last week, so last night we put together two pans of tater tot casserole. That will take care of dinner tonight and tomorrow night.

XUfan

Trader Group
Grabbed a steak and some salmon from the freezer. Hubby is going to grill them. I'm making half-baked potatoes, and a salad to go with them.

jastwins

Trader Group
Chicken cutlets, roasted butternut squash and red bliss potatoes and fresh string beans with Wishbone Italian dressing, tomato and garlic salad plus a cucumber salad.