Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
I planned to have leftovers and ended up grilling sliders and hotdogs. Barely got this done when I decided that D1 had to see a doctor. She had an ear cartilage piercing done 3 weeks ago and all was fine until this past Sunday, the hottest day of the year. Her whole ear blew up and was red and swollen. So I shoved a hotdog down and we got in the car to go to an urgent care place near my bank job. They were still open and the closest to us. She is on antibiotics and may have to see an ENT about the swelling.

Never a dull moment and then D2 tells me the van is smoking again....lose hose....d3 went and put fluids in and hopefully d2 can drive it home 7 blocks.
Seriously, I just wanted to eat my slider and watch either the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and/or Dance Moms...

Gardencook

Trader Group
@jastwins, none of my business, but I'll add my two cents anyway ...

I used to have pierced ears. I got it done by a doctor because I DID NOT want problems, however ...

Infection set in almost immediately and the doctors were emphatic that I must use their antibiotic ointment and ABSOLUTELY should not use rubbing alcohol.

I spent an entire summer with bright red ear lobes. My Mom had to nurse me while I was sitting because I couldn't even turn the earrings without getting so wobbly I'd nearly faint. (I've never been prone to fainting in my entire life.)

Long story short, we traveled to South Dakota and the infection got so bad Mom was afraid I'd lose my earlobes. We stopped in Caldwell, Idaho and bought a bottle of rubbing alcohol ... by the time we reached South Dakota the infection was completely GONE.

All those weeks/months and what my ears really needed was good old-fashioned rubbing alcohol -- about the cheapest thing you can buy.

It might not be the same thing your daughter is fighting, but something to keep in mind. ;)

jastwins

Trader Group
@Gardencook , The girls sent me a pic of her ear on my phone and I did not know how bad it was until I got home. When you looked at her normal ear and saw the other entirely infected ear, well the difference was frightening. She is on antibiotics now and we need to find an ent doctor to make sure the circulation to her ear is still good. Trying to find one that takes our insurance means we have to travel at least an hour away. Alcohol was a cure all growing up and we were never without it.
Anyway, dinner will be leftovers of whatever I cooked in the last 2 days.

Gardencook

Trader Group
Picked up a couple packages of ground turkey marked down to 99 cents each yesterday.

Brought them home and immediately made them into taco meat.

While at the store I saw a bag of salad mix on markdown, so bought that to go on tacos, as well. We already have plenty of grated cheese and taco sauce on hand.

The temps have been high and we always seem to be on the run. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something quick to fix -- without having to heat up the oven.

I had an Old El Paso coupon about to expire last week, so I picked up a couple boxes of taco shells with that sort of thing in mind.

Tonight we'll have tacos and heat up a can of refried beans to go on the side.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We went to the University Concert on the Quad tonight. They offer a $4 dinner of BBQ Costco Beef Hot Dogs, a bag of chips and a can of soda. The proceeds go to the student activity fund and since the concert is free we eat there on concert nights.

Gardencook

Trader Group
After we FINALLY got a couple days of electronics delivery confusion rectified, we decided we needed a break.

IHOP sent a coupon last night. There is a limited time chicken sandwich on the menu and if we bought one sandwich and two drinks they'd give us another sandwich free.

I checked the website and we could have salad in place of French Fries so we decided to give them another shot. IHOP always used to have very tasty dinner salads with a good variety on them.

We haven't been to our local IHOP for several years now. They used to have baked potatoes on the dinner menu, but when we'd go to the restaurant they'd always tell us they were out of baked potatoes. We got tired of living in Idaho and not being able to get a baked potato, so we got out of the habit of going there.

Tonight we sat down, ordered our drinks and chicken sandwiches and when I told the waitress I'd like a salad as my side, she told me "We're out of lettuce, so we don't have salads." :confused:

The food was good, but it took forever for our food to arrive. That seems to be standard with most IHOPs where we've eaten -- except Boise. We actually LOVE the IHOP where we sometimes grab breakfast in Boise. It is very friendly and efficient, despite the fact it is always packed -- which might have something to do with why our restaurant is generally empty.

After consuming our meal, the waitress asked if we wanted anything else and we told her no. Usually at that point you can expect your check to arrive. We'd already given her the coupon when we ordered the meal.

So we waited, and waited and waited. It had been so long since we'd been to IHOP we finally concluded perhaps we didn't remember how they handled things there. Perhaps we were expected to go to the register to get our check.

So we went to the register where we waited, and waited and waited ...

Finally our waitress emerged. My husband told her he wasn't sure where we were supposed to pay, and she said "Usually at the table, but I couldn't figure out how much I was supposed to charge you, so that's why it took me so long."

Let me see ... we bought one burger at $9.99 and got one free ($10 in my mind) and two drinks at a little more than $2.50 each (a little over $5 total). Sales tax in Idaho is six percent. Back at the table I told my husband it would be a little more than $16 without bothering to figure it down to the exact penny, because I'd forgotten to look at the price of his coffee so had to estimate.

The food took FOREVER to arrive, we were never offered refills on our drinks and there were four tables -- each with two customers -- in a restaurant with two waitresses. The other waitress was taking care of two tables and our waitress was responsible for the table directly behind ours with one lady and a small girl.

How many IHOP waitresses does it take to remove $10 from a final check? Apparently a LOT more than that.

At least we had a gift card. We bought it a few weeks ago when we were offered 4x fuel points. Since we hadn't been to IHOP for so long, we had already decided to give the place another chance back then.

I think we might save the remainder of the gift card for the next time we're in Boise ... :rolleyes:

Gardencook

Trader Group
YUM! @Gardencook Roasted Cauliflower Soup and Garlic Bread sounds so good. I recently discovered cauliflower pizza crust! Do you grow your own cauliflower?

No, cauliflower is a little too difficult to grow in a climate that fluctuates as badly as our does. During our spring we can be 80 degrees one week, drop to a hard freeze that weekend and be back to 90 degrees a day or two later -- only to have a couple more frost warnings before summer "really" arrives.

Cauliflower bolts in weather like ours, so it isn't worth the risk.

I gave up on growing much more than greens, squash and herbs quite a few years ago -- and I haven't even gotten those planted the past few years with our chaotic lives.

I really miss what I used to grow, however. I'd forgotten just how bitter store-bought turnip greens were until I put some in juice last night. o_O

They are delicious when you grow them yourself.

I had a choice between collards and turnip greens and decided against the collards, because they looked pretty woody -- big mistake! :confused:

We have been getting some nice markdowns on cauliflower lately, however. That is something we hardly ever used to get. I figured we'd better enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

Gardencook

Trader Group
So we still had quite a bit of gas left in the tank and needed to use our 50 cent fuel reward before the end of the month so we decided to take some evening drives the past couple nights.

Last night we ended up in a neighboring town where we had a B1G1 coupon for a local burger joint with excellent food.

Who would have thought a burger joint would have steak and baked potatoes on the menu?

We got a nice steak smothered in mushrooms and onions with a HUGE baked potato -- $14 for the first and the second was free. Missed having veggies or a salad with it, but it was a nice meal anyway.

Tonight we're going to see a local theater production of Newsies, so we plan to drop into Panera before the show. They are right by each other and we got a "big" $1 off coupon from Panera the other day. :rolleyes:

jastwins

Trader Group
We had internet and technical problems at the bank all day and night. I left work at 9 pm. Our fun manager got us pizza and for those who chose to drink, there was wine and Jameson’s whiskey. They borrowed it from the head guy’s office. ( I kid you not). We have to be in at 7 am tomorrow to catch up on work we could not do this evening. Off to bed for me.