Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Jasmine, I am soooo hungry for pizza! And to be honest, there's a sub shop here that I've been craving...and the shrimp/tilapia dish that I love from the Mexican place up the road....you get the idea! But, after spending way more than we should have last weekend in Indiana, I challenged myself to make meals from what we have at home this week. I've done well so far. The only exception is fresh corn...because it's that time of year!

Last night, I got two pre-seasoned hamburger patties (Hubby seasoned them when he made the and froze them), and a salmon burger from the freezer. Side were a Knorr noodle side and fresh corn on the cob.

Tonight it's chicken breaded with Fryin' Magic for him, tilapia for me. I'm going to make the leftover mashed potatoes into potato cakes, and steam some carrots for our sides.

Tomorrow night, I might have to break the rules! My grandson has two baseball games (11am and 3:45pm), that are about 40 minutes from home. I told him I'd take him. That means I won't get home until after 7, at the earliest. So we'll either get takeout, or eat leftovers.

jastwins, Jorainna and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Pizza -- not quite the pizzaria stuff @jastwins daughters planned tonight, but at $10 for three nice rising crust frozen pizzas we can't complain. You have to buy in quantities of three to use the coupon. It will leave us leftovers to munch on all weekend.

FIL could never believe I enjoyed cold pizza when we first got married, but I'd always decline his kind offer to use the microwave when I enjoyed leftover pizza for breakfast. :p

Just wish we had freezer space to buy the other six pizzas we still have coupons for ... they expire Sunday. :(

Had turkey burgers and fries for lunch so we really aren't that hungry. We got two nice packs of ground turkey on markdown yesterday.

Edit: Haven't been paying attention, but apparently there is a Cat out on DiGiorno Pizzas. Three pizzas for $8.47! :D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  3. XUfan

I left the house at 8:45 this morning, picked up my grandson, and headed to the ball park. It was blazing hot, and they lost both games, but I cherish the time I spend with him and his sisters, so it was a great day! It's now 7:15 in the evening, and I just walked in the house after dropping him off at his house. Hubby is watching something he recorded, and when it's over we'll decide if we're going out to eat, or ordering in. The kitchen is closed for the night!

Sherri1480, jastwins and Jorainna like this.
  4. Jorainna

Jorainna Finder of Lost "Blinkies" Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

By the time I get off work at 5:30 and walk out across a black topped parking lot on a humid day in the 90's .... well I am done for!

My older son went to work at 4 PM so I ran and got him a pizza and a drink for supper.

I had decided hubby, and S2 were having salads for supper. Started them out at the Kroger salad bar and added most stuff to them at home. S2 had already boiled eggs, we had the dressing, cheese, croutons and different veggies at home. So it was fairly easy and painless to make these three huge chef salads! :)

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  5. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

Tonight I made Martha Stewart one pan pasta. It came out great and I had all the ingredients I needed at home.

Sherri1480 and greenfrog57 like this.
  6. jastwins

We are supposed to try the new pizzeria for dinner tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  7. XUfan

Hubby is grilling salmon for me, and a 1" thick pork chop for himself. Half-baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and fresh beet salad are the sides.

Sherri1480, greenfrog57 and jastwins like this.
  8. jastwins

Frank and I tried the new pizzeria. We enjoyed it and brought home food for the girls. He had chicken francaise with penne. I had a chicken marsala hero. The girls wanted pizza, chicken fingers and fries and buffalo calamari. We all loved it.

Sherri1480 and greenfrog57 like this.
  9. XUfan

Isn't it great when a new place turns out to be worth it! We've tried so many places that were just so-so, but a few have been keepers!

10. jastwins

Today I attended a graduation party for D3's friend. I could only stay for an hour, but I did get some great food. They had steamed clams, shrimp and small lobster tails. Also on the menu were grilled chicken breast and london broil. Sides were a great green salad, potato salad, mozzarella and tomato and corn on the cob. They had a great caterer and nice servers. I had to go home to cook dinner for the twins...they should have come to the party!!! Unfortunately, d1 is allergic to shellfish, so she would have been sad seeing us eat shellfish that she cannot have. : (
    The twins got roasted red potatoes with Lipton onion soup mix. I made chicken cutlets and they girls had fresh spinach salad.
    When I went back to pick up d3 (I dropped her off after she finished work at the ice cream shop), the girl's parents gave me a delicious carrot cake from a fave bakery of mine and I took home a piece for D1.

Cathy, Sherri1480 and greenfrog57 like this.
  11. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Trader Group

Graduation parties are serving lobster these days?! I need to start crashing parties, lol! Yum!!!

Sherri1480, jastwins and greenfrog57 like this.
  12. Gardencook

We hit Taco Bell on the way to the Municipal Band Concert in the park. Figured out how well it worked last year.

We always buy the cheap stuff off the menu, so it doesn't cost too dearly. They give us free drinks for being old and then we refill them on our way out so we have cold drinks while sitting in the hot sun at the park waiting for the concert to start.

The sun is beginning to go down in the sky by the time the concert starts, so if you can get the right seats you don't have too long before shade from the trees gives you some relief.

Used gift cards we purchased on a 4x fuel points promo, so no money OOP and we got 60 fuel points for buying the $15 card -- a little more than 5 cents per gallon fuel discount.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    greenfrog57, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  13. jastwins

I just took a marinated london broil out of the freezer and will grill that when I get home from work later. Sides will be rice, corn and spinach salad.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  14. XUfan

Last night, I had dinner planned and prepped. Steak for Hubby, Asian tuna burger (made with fresh tuna) for me. The sides: baked potatoes, and a medley of zucchini, yellow squash, red onions, and mushrooms, sauteed in garlic olive oil.

Then...he called and said he'd be late. By the time he got home, it was 8:30. We ate frozen pizza (cooked, of course! LOL!). So, the above dinner should be what we're having tonight.

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  15. Gardencook

We've got a pound of ground turkey we picked up on markdown.

Think we'll turn it into Spanish rice.

Also picked up an arugula salad with buttermilk dressing on markdown yesterday so we'll have it on the side.

jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  16. Gardencook

Tonight we had mackerel patties, baked potatoes and green beans.

17. flowerkitty

flowerkitty Super Swapper Trader Group

Tonight I made chicken & dumplings. I used the Pillsbury grands recipe....but substituted bisquick dumplings for the grands biscuits and I used 2x frozen veggies. I had everything on hand :)
    Leftovers for the weekend & to share with my mom (she will be excited).

18. jastwins

I went food shopping after and picked up a rotisserie chicken. The girls ate that and I had leftover London broil and veggies. Rostisserie chickens are not my favorite, so I did not eat it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  19. XUfan

If the weather holds out, I'll be stopping off somewhere in Kentucky, with my husband, son, and grandson...eating dinner after the baseball game. If the weather doesn't cooperate, but they don't cancel it until we get to Kentucky (this has happened more than once, as any baseball mom will tell you), I'll be stopping with the same group for lunch!

20. Gardencook

Rotisserie chicken, Strawberry Fields fresh salad, potato salad, coleslaw AND Waldorf salad.

We were pigs!

But we did use all the salads to cut WAY back on the amount of meat -- and NO need to heat up the house cooking!