Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Gardencook

Trader Group
Well, I tried to keep up on dinners at the beginning of our trip, but things got too hectic. Then I was caught without Internet for at least three or four days which didn't help matters any. Apparently, the modem on my computer is not as stong as DH's -- or else the places we stayed had things set up so you could only use one device per room.

Anyway, we got quite a few rooms with kitchens on this trip so we prepared a lot of easy meals in our room.

The last mega sale provided some Lamb Saag dinners for a couple meals and the same store had some Kashi Quinoa Bowls on markdown, as well so that made things super easy.

We also enjoyed teriyaki chicken meatballs we'd gotten on markdown with stir-fry at another meal and burgers and red fingerling potato oven fries (another markdown) for some additional meals.

We finished off our trip the same way we started. There was a Denny's across the street from our first hotel and next door to our last hotel. Sorry @Fillies Fan, but my haddock came with a salad and two sides. If I left off all the veggies I would have had to choose two starchy sides between mashed potatoes, whole grain rice medley and mac and cheese. Two of those with the garlic toast that also came with the meal were WAY too many carbs for me, so I chose broccoli once more.

Yesterday, we had errands to run and coupons for a favorite burger joint were waiting in our mail. It just seemed easier to grab $1 burgers, 89 cent fries and B1G1 milkshakes than hassle with a meal.

Tonight we had an adobo chicken entree we picked up for $1.27 on the way home along with baked purple potatoes -- Grocery Outlet to the rescue again. We had a salad kit we picked up on markdown for a side.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
There was a Denny's across the street from our first hotel and next door to our last hotel. Sorry @Fillies Fan, but my haddock came with a salad and two sides. If I left off all the veggies I would have had to choose two starchy sides between mashed potatoes, whole grain rice medley and mac and cheese. Two of those with the garlic toast that also came with the meal were WAY too many carbs for me, so I chose broccoli once more.

You chose broccoli over mac and cheese????

Personally, I would have refused the salad and taken a double order of mac and cheese, accompanied by the garlic bread. The haddock would have been replaced by either a cheeseburger or pork chops.

(My meals do not please either doctors or rabbis.)

Gardencook

Trader Group
You chose broccoli over mac and cheese????

Personally, I would have refused the salad and taken a double order of mac and cheese, accompanied by the garlic bread. The haddock would have been replaced by either a cheeseburger or pork chops.

(My meals do not please either doctors or rabbis.)

Keep in mind I was trying to get home from this trip alive @Fillies Fan!

Before I learned I HAVE to watch what I eat when traveling, I wasn't always sure that would happen. ;)

But I must admit I've NEVER understood America's obsession with Mac and Cheese. I'll take a salad any day. :p

Last edited:

flowerkitty

Super Swapper
Trader Group
Keep in mind I was trying to get home from this trip alive @Fillies Fan!

Before I learned I HAVE to watch what I eat when traveling, I wasn't always sure that would happen. ;)

But I must admit I've NEVER understood America's obsession with Mac and Cheese. I'll take a salad any day. :p
I agree! I have to watch what I eat when dining out...I have cut way back on the fried foods & greasy seasoning in my diet...so some dishes can cause distress.
I do not understand the Mac & cheese obsession either...yesterday we went to a bday party dinner at a relatives house....way too many carbs served- 2 types of potatoes & 4 different types of macaroni/ pasta dishes. Luckily,they also had a nice green salad.

Today is our anniversary. We are headed to our fave Mexican restaurant to celebrate.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Last night I grilled chicken and veggie shishkabobs that I marinated in sweet and sour sauce. I also split 3 large buffalo chicken burgers in to 6 smaller sliders (served on slider buns) and grilled them. Alexia oven roasted red potatoes, salad and string beans were our sides.
So happy I grilled yesterday since it is pouring now and after I finish proctoring a test, I will have to take D1 to a dr. appt off island. We will eat out somewhere along the way.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We picked up our free Doritos Locos Tacos, got a couple more items for the side, got a free senior drink and that took care of our dinner tonight.

We used a gift card which we purchased on a 4x fuel reward deal, so no money OOP for it today.

Stopped at the discount store and got organic mint chip ice cream for $1.25 as a desert treat!

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
Last night I made chicken cutlets, purple cauliflower (should have taken a picture of how purple it got when boiling) and melted butter and bread crumbs to pour over it. I heated up leftover squash and had Green Giant Rice medley as a side.
Tonight may be beef Stroganoff using the Campbells sauce pack. Need to check the price of chop meat at the IGA before I buy it or come up with another plan.

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Today, I invited Limor and her daughter to lunch. (I have mentioned her before. She is a neighbor but she is a resident of the kibbutz, not a member, and has a much smaller income. Her husband divorced her, left the kibbutz, and only gives her a small amount each month for child support. There is no alimony in Israel.)

Lunch (for me) consisted of pork chops -- they are not easy to find in Israel but I know a great restaurant about 20 miles away which serves them. Limor and her daughter passed on the pork but had good beef steaks instead.

Then I took the two of them to a giant supermarket to fill up their carts. (Don't worry about Marina, she and I are going to a different one tomorrow.) Another woman from the kibbutz, also in her 30s and divorced, saw us there and Limor joked that rumors about us will start flying on the kibbutz tomorrow.

This other woman and her children have moved into the house where my ex lived and invited me to visit and see how she decorated the house. I suggested that I make the visit on an evening when her children are not home, the lights are replaced by candles, and she has a bottle of wine on hand. Given that I am 73, she did not take that suggestion very seriously, but as I made it in front of Limor it should at least quash any thoughts she might have about my friendship with Limor.

Limor, incidentally, is trying to set me up with a woman on the kibbutz who I have never met (which is very surprising considering how small the kibbutz is). I agreed for the two of them to visit me in my house one day but as this woman is 65, she is clearly much too old for me. I figure I have about 10 years left and would prefer to spend them with a woman who will be under 50 when I kick the bucket. :)