Viral Thread Alert Join the FUN...What's for Dinner Today??

Discussion in 'Foodies Unite - Discussion & Requests' started by 3timesoccermom, Feb 22, 2010.

Moderators: KimShaw
  1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

I'm looking for ideas - what are you planning for dinner?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    pasharain and wealthybarney like this.
  2. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

well the enchiladas were a bust. I left out the black beans (cause I always pick them out of things and thought it was easier to just omit them.) I didn't count on the fact that they were a seasoning the recipe needed. Way too bland :(

3. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Sorry about the enchiladas, Cathy. I've done the same thing before. Not with black beans, but with other things.

Last night's spaghetti was good...but not great. I always think it's going to be amazing, but it's just not what I'm hoping for. Hubby had no complaints. I'll probably send the rest home with my DIL tonight when she picks up my granddaughter. That will save her from cooking after a long day.

Tonight we'll probably have chicken, tilapia, and a side dish I make with chili tomatoes, canned corn, black beans, hominy, and some spices. It's supposed to have cheese in it too, but Hubby thinks it's better without.

4. jastwins

jastwins ※Kaboom!・:・:・゜ Trader Group

I picked up a 1 lb pork roast last night and will make pork fried rice tonight. I just need to dice up some carrots and use some veggies I have frozen. Hope it turns out great.

5. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Headed home from a longer than expected trip to see my mother. I have NO idea what's for dinner tonight. We'll see as the day progresses, but I suspect lunch will be sandwiches and soup at a new little restaurant discovery that makes everything from scratch and has about 10 varieties of soup daily -- apparently about 30 in the cooler.

Last night it was chicken and cheese chimichangas from the hotel "store." They looked the easiest to microwave.

Temps were single digits when we pulled into Boise, we were dead tired and it was too cold to drive a couple blocks to Taco Bell (which appeared to be the only restaurant still open at 8 p.m. I had fries and veggie burgers in the cooler, but we were too tired to heat up such a "time-consuming" meal. lol!

Caught cold right after we got to Washington, so couldn't chance infecting my Mom. Ate a LOT of homemade soup and stir fries in the hotel room hoping it would go away faster, but it was a DETERMINED bug.

Did get a good deal on petite sirloin steaks toward the end of the trip. I was so sick I'd missed a coupon good for $3 off $9 on meat and it was about to expire. The best deal was a "value pack" of steaks for a little over $9 (on sale for $2.99 a pound). That meant about our last five dinners were steak. Not a bad way to end a trip.

6. XUfan

There is a spot on the baking element in my oven that is glowing bright red, while the rest of the element is just the normal red. I googled it, and found that my element is burning out, and that it could "explode" if I use it. I drove into town and picked up a replacement part, so Hubby can put a new one on for me. In the meantime, I'm using it as a cheap (well...$44 isn't really THAT cheap) excuse to not cook!

I made a pot of white bean chili, because the stovetop is still usable. But, nothing is going in that oven until he fixes it! We're getting some sort of takeout tonight for dinner.

Sherri1480 and Gardencook like this.
  7. jastwins

@XUfan, thank God for the internet. You can look up just about anything these days. Good thing your hubby is able to fix it, so you saved yourself labor costs.

Last night, I had a neighbor visit and 2 phone calls so my plan to make pork fried rice was put off until tonight. I ended up eating leftovers and a small Celentano pizza. I hope for a peaceful and calm afternoon so I can cook and get my fireplace going.

Sherri1480, Gardencook and Jorainna like this.
  8. XUfan

It's funny that you mentioned the internet. When I picked up the part, I asked the guy what people did before Google. He said, "Well, for one thing, my phone rang a lot more!" And we both laughed!

9. XUfan

Oven update: I told Hubby about the oven issue when he got home (right after he asked if we could have frozen pizza for dinner...and I said, "NO!!"). We ordered dinner, and sat down to watch the basketball game. At halftime, he looked on YouTube to see how to install it...and had it done before the second half started! Yay!!!

Darn! Now I have to cook tonight! And I don't know what we're having! :p

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  10. jastwins

Another teacher and I were talking about one pan recipes and I gave her a few of mine. She talked about sausage, potatoes and string beans in the oven, so I may try it tonight. i have to figure out what type of string beans she used (fresh frozen or canned) I will use a smaller pan and hope it turns out well.

Sherri1480 and Jorainna like this.
  11. XUfan

Since my sweet husband did not answer the text, asking what he wanted for dinner, I decided that we're having fish. Corn Flake-breaded tilapia, rice, and whatever vegetables I have in the fridge that can be put on a sheet pan and roasted. Without looking, I'm pretty sure there is some asparagus, red bell peppers, and mushrooms. And I know I have onions in the pantry. That should make a nice mixture over rice!

Sherri1480, Jorainna and jastwins like this.
  12. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, meals didn't exactly go as planned yesterday, but then it is often like that on the road. ;)

DH decided he'd rather have Rumbi Island Grill instead of soup and sandwich for lunch yesterday. That was a surprise, because he's been the one wanting soup on our previous trips. We ended up with grilled chicken/brown rice bowls -- both with grilled veggies, but we chose different sauces. We had a B1G1 coupon so it was a nice treat.

Then we stopped at a truck stop with a Carl's Jr. on the way home and used a B1G1 coupon there as well. That was our dinner.

Tonight we got back to a more normal schedule. We ate the Light Life burgers from the cooler along with frozen fries. Picked up whole wheat buns on the road and still had some sweet onions for the burgers.

We also had gotten a deal on cottage cheese on our trip and didn't get it used after we caught colds. Brought it home with us and used some of it tonight with the burger and fries.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  13. XUfan

Hubby's sister and her husband are moving this weekend, to a house in the same town where we live. They used to be about 20 minutes away in "the big city", so it's not a huge move. But now, they're a 5 minute drive down the road. We knew that they had everything in the old house packed up, so we had them over for dinner last night. Planning meals can be such a pain when you're moving, so this was one meal they didn't have to worry about.

Hubby cooked burgers on the grill. I roasted a pan of red potatoes tossed in Greek seasoning, and other pan with zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions, tossed in garlic, basil, and oregano. It was a simple dinner, but they both really appreciated it. And it was nice to get to talk to them.

I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight. Hubby is on-call at work, so it's hard to plan.

Sherri1480, jastwins and Cathy like this.
  14. XUfan

Update: Hubby wants meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He left the house this morning at 5:30, and has been to stores in 2 towns and a big city (Columbus) already...and it's only 12:30. Apparently, everything is breaking today, and since he's on-call, it's his job to fix it! I don't know how he knows that he'll be home for dinner, but we'll work it out.

15. Cathy

Cathy Happy Birthday Cathy!!

I've got a pot of homemade chicken and noodles on the oven. It's a family favorite and my son and granddaughter are coming for dinner tomorrow. I made plenty to send home with them and have leftovers for myself in the coming week.

16. jastwins

Since we are on a cleaning binge, Crankie and I had hero's from the pizzeria in town. Crankie had a chicken, roasted red pepper and broccoli rabe hero plus a slice. I had the chicken marsala hero. I am stuffed.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  17. XUfan

Yesterday's update didn't work out. Hubby got home around 2:30, which wasn't the problem. I was watching basketball (which also wasn't the problem). When the game was over, he called his sister to see if they were OK with us stopping by to see the new house. So, we went there and visited. By the time we got home, it was way too late to start cooking a meatloaf dinner. So we had pizza from the freezer.

Tonight we're supposed to go to his niece's house for a family get-together. She's making the meats, and everyone is bringing a side.

18. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Believe it or not, lunch today was a bacon cheeseburger with French fries. The fries are common in Israel but a bacon cheeseburger is about as hard to find as a porterhouse steak would be in a Vegan fast food place in San Francisco.

The restaurant, which my Russian "girlfriend" told me about opens at noon. We arrived at the strip mall at 11:30 along with her two children. We wondered how we would kill a half hour when I spotted an artisan chocolate shop. I told her that she and the children could have whatever they wanted and after they made their choices I told her that she and her family have to celebrate my birthday in two days -- and bought her a large chocolate bear with "Happy Birthday" written on it (in Hebrew). I figured this was especially appropriate as my name, "Dov", is Hebrew for "Bear".

This will mean a stereophonic birthday celebration as when they are munching on it I will be having dinner with my children. Not, however, at that restaurant -- I can't picture my daughter eating bacon, much less a bacon cheeseburger.

Sherri1480, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  19. XUfan

Hey Fillies Fan! Happy early birthday!! Because of the time difference between here and there, I never know what time/day it is where you are. But I'm guessing that your birthday is the 11th?

Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  20. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Yup, it is the 11th and because of the time difference I will be 73-years-old 7 hours earlier than if I lived where I was born -- in Brooklyn.

Moderators: KimShaw