Is it my bread machine?

Kulis

Trader Group
I've been making bread in my bread machine using the same recipe for about three years. At least once a week I put the ingredients in and run the dough cycle, shape the dough into the kind of loaf we like, let rise for about half an hour and bake. I've varied types of flour, but the recipe and results are basically the same.
Until recently.
The formed loaf rises only slightly, barely above the level of the pan. Once I put it in the oven, the bread deflates. I tried using new yeast, different brands of flour. I still get a brick.
Any advice?

MsSweetCheeks

Mod Of The Month March 2012 - The Grand Theft
Trader Group
It could be the yeast or flour. Maybe go back and use one that you know you definately had good results for.

I know every now and then I get a loaf that doesn't rise properly in mine. It might just be the bread machine too. Especially if you have had it a long time. Maybe it's going out on you.

I've been making bread in my bread machine using the same recipe for about three years. At least once a week I put the ingredients in and run the dough cycle, shape the dough into the kind of loaf we like, let rise for about half an hour and bake. I've varied types of flour, but the recipe and results are basically the same.
Until recently.
The formed loaf rises only slightly, barely above the level of the pan. Once I put it in the oven, the bread deflates. I tried using new yeast, different brands of flour. I still get a brick.
Any advice?

Kulis

Trader Group
I thought the yeast might be the problem, so I bought a new package. Same result. I went back to my usual, non-experiment flour. No help either.
The dough does rise in the machine, but it deflates once it's out.
I have a fear that I may need a new bread machine.

MsSweetCheeks

Mod Of The Month March 2012 - The Grand Theft
Trader Group
Another thing too, are you measuring all your ingredients are or you estimating? I know estimates can change over time.

I thought the yeast might be the problem, so I bought a new package. Same result. I went back to my usual, non-experiment flour. No help either.
The dough does rise in the machine, but it deflates once it's out.
I have a fear that I may need a new bread machine.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
We have FIL's bread machine here and kept having the loaves fall in before they were done. I researched the problem a bit and found advice to use bread flour but it really didn't help us. Not sure if it would make any difference for you or not. :dontknow1:

Is anything bumping the machine or making an impact around it while the bread is going? Sometimes that can cause the bread to fall.

Kulis

Trader Group
Thanks for the suggestions.
I generally use bread flour and I still measure everything.
What stumps me is that I truly haven't changed the process or ingredients but the result is different.
I think I have to research new bread machines.

iwik

I Mod, Will Travel...
Staff member
Maybe the bread machine isn't maintaining temperature like it used to? If you can hear and see the kneading actually happen that would likely not be it. But if it is developing the gluten properly it shouldn't deflate. Salt also acts to regulate the reproduction rate of the yeast, changing the amount can affect it.
You could try making it by hand with the same ingredients, that way you could tell if it is the machine.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
The bread machine we were borrowing from FIL recently died - we discovered it was not mixing the dough up properly and assume that led to the bread not rising as expected. Not sure if it could be a factor for you.