Indian Fry Bread

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
This is a recipe that has been handed down in my family. I really don't know if this is American Indian recipe or not..but I am a registered member of the Caddo Nation...so I say it is! LOL

This is REALLY good split open with a little butter and honey or jam. You can also make "Indian Tacos" by placing taco ingredients on top of the fry bread.

Indian Fry Bread

Ingredients:

3 Cups Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water

Directions:

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add warm water in small amounts and knead dough until soft but not sticky. Adjust flour or water as needed. Cover bowl and let stand about 15 minutes.
2. Pull off large egg-sized balls of dough and roll out into fairly thin rounds. Fry rounds in hot oil until bubbles appear on the dough, turn over and fry on other side until golden brown.
Serve HOT.
Number Of Servings:????
Preparation Time:1 Hour ???

B

Billyidolssister

Growing up my mother would make something similar to this and the family called them fritters. This is truely nothing like apple fritters. Her recipe was just a white bread recipe and you pulled off small chunks, flatten it out and then fry them. We would always have this with Ham and Bean soup. She said it came about during the Depression (no Ham and Bean soup then) because it filled you up. I sometimes use frozen bread dough to make it if I am running short on time and let it rise overnight in the fridge. My grown DD still says it's one of her favorite foods. Next time I make it I am trying your recipe.

C

couponsmakecents

I love Indian Fry Bread. Haven't had it in a long time. Thanks for reminding me about this recipe

L

luvin'it

In high school I set my mom's kitchen on fire making these for history class! :Scared: From then on I'm a partaker not preparer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristen.C

Trader Group
You can sleep easy tonight, IT'S AUTHENTIC. All of the Indian reservations in New Mexico have stands on the side of the road serving up this stuff. Goodness it's tasty!!!!! When I lived in Albuquerque we'd drive out to the pueblos to get frybread, cheap gas, and play the slots.

YouPdWhat

Mod Of The Month July 2007
Trader Group
Sounds great. A new addition to my recipe box. Has anyone tried this with sprinkled powdered sugar?

BTW, Heidi love the bee, very fitting!!

T

texgirl

I LOVE fry bread. Thanks for the recipe, I haven't had any since my last Pow Wow in Oregon...about 6 years ago. I might have to break down and make it myself since I don't fry anything except maybe once a year.

T

to1drland

ok- heidi- you just made me sooo hungry for indian tacos- I haven't had them since I was like 13 or 14- last time was when we took grams to the Res. for the pow-wow... gonna have to make some for the whole family!!

M

mama22qts

Heidi, does it turn out something like beignets? Or donuts? I couldn't do it this morning because I didn't have the oil. Have to make a trip to the grocery...

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
they are more heavier than bengiets (which are very light) as well as donuts. They puff some but not lots. Consistancy is more chewy if I recall correctly (its been a while)

J

jazzhands

OMG, this is SO unhealthy! I have repeatedly stated that I will NEVER create fried food in my own home! there are so many healthier alternatives!

M

MissChele

jazzhands said:
OMG, this is SO unhealthy! I have repeatedly stated that I will NEVER create fried food in my own home! there are so many healthier alternatives!

But that won't taste nearly as good.....

Thanks for the recipe!

MissChele/KY

M

Michelle

jazzhands said:

You'll go out for it then? :biggrin: J/K! I very rarely fry but I think I might just try this recipe out...it sounds wonderful!

K

klh4

Thank you so much for the recipe! We moved to New Mexico in June and my Husband seen Frybread everywhere and everyone talked about how good it was so he tried it. When you add the powder sugar and stuff it is just like an Elephant Ear that you buy at the fairs in Michigan for like $3 a piece but cheaper and you can find them all over out here. I will have to make him some. Thanks again

T

turtlesaver

You can get a mix at most of the pow-wow`s around here. but i`ll try your recipie.