I need appetizers, dips, munchies.....(Update in post #24)

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
...well, I just need the recipes for now!

Every year, we plan a traditional, family Christmas dinner, but it seems like everyone (other than us!) is either coming from, or going to another dinner. And everyone seems to cook the same things! (Last year, my son had 4 houses to go to, and my daughter had 3!!)Besides...the kids hate stopping to eat, when they're playing with the new toys!!

So...my husband and I were thinking that we'd try a very informal option this year. I want to make several appetizers, wraps, dips, etc. and just put them out for everyone to munch on while they're here.

But...I need some recipes!!!

Here are the guidelines:
*Some of them should be kid-friendly
*Some should be meatless (for me!!)
*ALL should be "coupon-friendly" and "budget-friendly" (no super-expensive ingredients, please!!!!)
*I'm looking for some of them, to be things I can make a week or so in advance, so I can freeze them, then pop them in the oven.

Some things I've thought of:
*Chicken salad on mini dinner rolls
*Cream cheese/salsa tortilla pinwheels
*Chinese fried nuts
*Sausage & Cheese crockpot dip
*Stuffed mushrooms
*Mini crab cakes

OK....give me some more ideas!!!!

Jessi

↑ This Person ♥'s Someone With Autism
Trader Group
Re: I need appetizers, dips, munchies.....

In a crock pot or even on a pan on the stove.....mix BBQ sauce(one or two bottles depending on how many things you are going to put out.), one jar of grape jelly and Hillshire farm smoked sauages (again I would do 2 packages and go from there.)let it cook all day or for a few hours and you have an appitizer.(on medium high to medium heat.) They are good...we have them every year.

Jessi

↑ This Person ♥'s Someone With Autism
Trader Group

Oh and the old stand by...Sausage balls. You could also put out fruits and veggies with just plain old ranch dip with maybe some bacon bits mixed into the ranch...Just my 2 cents.

F

frugalphoebe

Well, this one can't be made in advance..but it is budget friendly, kid friendly, super easy and delicious! :)

It is a Christmas Wreath Appetizer

It takes a tube thing of crescent rolls
cream cheese
sr. cream
garlic salt/pwdr
dill weed
celery/finely chopped
red/green bellpeppers/finely chopped
plum tomatos/chopped

You take the cresents and without unrolling them you cut each section in half. This should make (I think) 16 sections. Take these sections and form a big circle, like a wreath. Bake. Take the cream cheese (softened) and mix with a dab of sr. cream, your liking of dill and garlic. Spread this on the "wreath" once it is cool and top with chopped veggies.

We LOVE this! I make it all year around.

E

extechy

I found a new recipe for dip that looks great but I haven't tried it yet. It's much like rotel but instead of ground beef, you used ground pork sausage. In place of the Velveeta cheese, you used cream cheese. Add in the same seasonings and rotel vegetables.

It sounds good to me.

XUfan

Trader Group

These are great ideas!!!! Keep 'em coming!!

Oh...and don't forget...we'll be wanting some sweets to munch on too! I know I'll make Christmas cut-out cookies, and homemade caramel corn...but how about some other sweet finger foods?

Ummm....can anyone tell me why we're overweight??? LOL!

E

extechy

These are great ideas!!!! Keep 'em coming!!

Oh...and don't forget...we'll be wanting some sweets to munch on too! I know I'll make Christmas cut-out cookies, and homemade caramel corn...but how about some other sweet finger foods?

Ummm....can anyone tell me why we're overweight??? LOL!

Finger sweets? I just love lemon squares/lemon bars. :smile:

J

jen523

I make chocolate truffles. I just use a package of oreos, a block cream cheese, put it in the food processor. Smoosh it all up. then roll into balls and dip into chocolate (i just melt dark chocolate bars). OMG so goooooood! And makes alot!

H

heyaheather

Here's one that can be meaty or meatless--wrap [fake] hot dogs in cresent rolls. You can eat them all by themselves w/out any condiments, or your can put the condiments in small dishes for dipping (well that might invite dbl-dipping...but if you don't mind)!

How about a stew or "stoup" in a crockpot? I made a yummy lentil soup this week that was so tastey. I think we're going to have leftovers tonight for the second time. I got the recipe off allrecipes and added more veggies and spices. Here's the non-measured rundown:
1 Diced Onion, 4 Lg Sliced Carrots, 2 Sliced Celery Stalks--cook onion in pan until soft and add other two till tender.
Mix in 2 C Lentils (I used brown, but you could use red to be more holiday-like), 4 cloves garlic (I used chopped refrigerated and just dumped some in) and 32 oz Liquid (I used mushroom stock, but you could use veg stock or water).
Add in spices: Oregano, Basil, and 1 Bay Leaf. (Again I just dumped a bunch in. It was probably 2 Tbs. each or more. I thought it smelled really strong, but it was delicious).

You could serve this in mugs with homemade crackers.

Another standby for a friend is putting a block of cream cheese on a plate and topping it with red pepper jelly. Serve with crackers of your choice--wheat thins work really well and I'm sure you must have some in your stockpile!

My MIL makes a curry dip for veggies. It is sweet, but I don't have the recipe.

A sweet treat that is sooo bad for you but delicious can be made by slicing cream horn about 1/2" thick. Place on them on their side and top with a 1/2 marachino cherry. You could add a slice of a little green mint drop for a festive touch. Or put on a green plate.

HTH!

K

kurautismnow

Hot Spinach Spread~
This is wonderful served on toasted Pita wedges. Its really colorful and great for the holidays!

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Monterey jack cheese

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, cubed

2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped

3/4 cup chopped onion

1/3 cup half and half cream

1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper (optional)

6 pita bread

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 tea. lemon pepper seasoning

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I use roasted garlic paste I think it adds more flavor)

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 20-25 mins. or until bubbly.

Meanwhile, cut each pita bread into wedges (not to big). Place in them on baking sheet. Combine the butter, lemon pepper, cumin and garlic salt, brush over the pita wedges. Bake for 7-9 mins or until crisp. Serve with the spinach spread. Makes about 4 cups.

Its sooooo yummy!
smile.gif

I

isis

I usually make this for family get-togethers:
Pasta Salad
2 bags Spiral Pasta (tri-colored) like wacky mac
1 16oz bottle Italian Dressing (doesn't matter on brand or if its light or fat free)
2 boxes frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 can sliced black olives
1 container cherry tomatoes, halved or grape tomotoes
1 C grated Parmasean Cheese
1 C Feta cheese (optional)

Cook pasta according to directions. I like to add the broccoli to the pasta while its cooking, usually the last 6 or 7 minutes. (just make sure the broccoli is thawed and room temp or it will kill the boiling water and take longer for the pasta to cook.) Drain well. In a large bowl, mix pasta with 1 c of the dressing. Add remaining ingredients and additional dressing if needed.
Refridgerate overnight to let the flavors "merry".

For dessert, I might make this for our family Christmas party (came in a kraft food & family email the other day) This looks absolutely sinful!! Instead of the bakers chocolate, I'm going to use either dove or bliss chocolate since I have like 10 bags hidden!!
chocolate-peanut-butter-mallow-bars-
1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup milk, divided
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
1/2 cup PLANTERS Salted Peanuts
6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped

Make It
HEAT oven to 350°F. Mix dry cake mix, butter and 1/3 cup milk until blended; press 2/3 onto bottom of 13x9-inch pan. Bake 12 to 14 min. or until center is almost set; cool 3 min. Meanwhile, mix peanut butter and remaining milk.

SPREAD peanut butter mixture onto crust; top with small spoonfuls of the marshmallow creme and remaining cake mixture. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate; press gently into cake mixture.

BAKE 18 min. or just until center is set. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Make Ahead: Prepare as directed; cool completely. Wrap tightly; freeze up to 1 month. Thaw before cutting into bars.

XUfan

Trader Group

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!
Of course, we're still planning...so anything you can think of might help. Not just me, but anyone who needs new ideas for the holidays.
Any more ideas??

D

daltregirl

Cream cheese with scallions mixed in with crackers and/or celery.

Mini weinies wrapped in crescent rolls - kids love these suckers, make lots and serve with ketchup and different mustards to dip in.

Soups, chili and stews - serve in a crock pot let people serve themselves.

Oyster Crackers coated with Enova oil and shake in a bag with Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix.

Cream Cheese with hot pepper jelly over the top with crackers

Cesar Salad wraps cut to individual servings or use some of your dinner rolls and stuff them in there.

Mini manicotti or stuffed shells - you can make them up ahead of time - heat through and serve

M

MariaT

I've been making these anti-pasta skewers they go over great.

I take the small little skewers and put:
- a mozzarella cheese ball
- an olive
- a piece of roasted pepper (from the jar)
- a tomato

They are always a big hit. You can make ahead too! :smile:

I also use the little skewers for fruit - like a melon ball, a strawberry, piece of pineapple. Makes for a pretty presentaation!

angeleyeza

Crazy Qpon Lady
Trader Group

This is what I make and none of them usually last the whole day :
preheat oven to 350
Thin Mint cookies:
need:
2 boxes of Thin mints
1 box of round snack crackers
dipping chocolate

place on parchment paper on a baking sheet place crackers on the paper side by side in single layer, top with 1 thin mint each. then top with another cracker. bake at 350 degrees for about 5 mins or until chocolate begins to start melting. take out and let cool a few mins. Dip each in dipping chocolate. set in freezer to set. enjoy!

or
homemade Mozarrella bites
preheat oven to 350
need:
1 bag shredded mozarella cheese
1 box snack crackers
1 jar marinara sauce

place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Place crackers on baking sheet side my side 1 layer high. pour moz cheese over top place another cracker ontop of each to cover

place in oven for about 5-10 mins until all cheese is melty.

take out carefully and enjoy dip into marinara sauce

monster candy cookies:
need 2 pkgs BC chocolate chip cookie mix
3-4 pkgs of funsize candy bars (of your choice)

make cookie batter accorindly to package. preheat oven according to pkg.

Crush your candy and add to cookie batter place spoonfuls on baking sheet and bake as usual. These are an every year favorate in my house!

home made fudge (fast way!)
Need:
1 tub cream cheese frosting (or more depending on famikly size)
1 Jar creamy Peanut butter:

melt both on medium heat in sauce pan. when it is creamy take off heat place in a baking dish with parchment paper in it set in freezer to set for a few hrs. enjoy!

C

chriscree

These crackers are great with any cheese or dip and so easy and cheap to make.
Fire Crackers
1 box saltines or Ritz 4-5 sleeves
1 1/4 c canola oil
2 Tb crushed red peper flakes ( i use the free ones that come from the pizza place)
1 pkg dry ranch dressing
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

put crakers in a zip lock.
mix all the other ingredients and pour over the top.
Gently toss to coat. let sit at least 30 min to soak.
toss and serve.

This receipe can be adapted to taste if you don't like as much spice lesson the pepper flakes.

Abbybob

Trader Group

Here is a our fav:

1 can fat free veggie refried beans
1 can rotel tomatoes
2 cups cheese (we like the mexican blend)
Heat beans and tomatoes together, once hot, add cheese, cook until melted, serve in small crockpot to keep it warm. Serve with veggies, chips, pita, whatever

As for sweets, rice crispy treats, cocoa krispy treats or fruity pebbles treats are coupon friendly.

Also fruit kabobs are good- I can't keep those on the table!

Oh- and for some reason- trail mix!