I just used my postal scale to weigh my pumpkin bread pans!

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Seriously!!!

I made pumpkin bread, and the recipe I use makes 3 loaves. I always think I've poured the same amount in each loaf pan, but they never turn out the same. Which means...one is less done...one is overdone, etc. Yes, I know, I can measure the batter in a measuring cup, but then I've got even more dishes to wash!

So today, I filled them up, and then I grabbed my postal scale! I weighed each one, then adjusted what was in each pan. They just came out of the oven, and they're perfect!!! They're all three the same size, and they're all done!!

OK...if this is just something new to me, and everyone else has already figured it out...just say DUH!!

T

Thrifty Bee

I've never actually weighed loaf pans with batter (thanks for the idea) but it wouldn't be unusual for me to have done something like that, I use scales all of the time.

I weigh;
to divide family size packs of meat into single size meals before freezing.

hamburger patties, you'd be surprised how much meat you use if you don't weigh it.

veggies, I always weigh the amount of potatoes I use for frying, mashing, or potato soup.

pasta, lintels, and rice especially when I've purchased bulk sizes.

envelopes and packages, I only have a kitchen scale but it gives me some idea of how much they weigh.

crochet yarn and thread; if I'm concerned whether or not I have enough to make an item I will weigh it if it's an an item I've made before. Whenever I complete a project I'll weigh it and add the finished weight to the pattern for reference next time.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who uses a scale. When I upgraded to a digital one I gave away my old ones to a neighbor and she wanted to know what I used scales that small for. I explained they were kitchen scales and she looked at me like I was nuts, and said she couldn't imagine what I would find scales useful for in the kitchen; she said she never measures or weighs anything.

C

clippyclippy

Seriously!!!

I made pumpkin bread, and the recipe I use makes 3 loaves. I always think I've poured the same amount in each loaf pan, but they never turn out the same. Which means...one is less done...one is overdone, etc. Yes, I know, I can measure the batter in a measuring cup, but then I've got even more dishes to wash!

So today, I filled them up, and then I grabbed my postal scale! I weighed each one, then adjusted what was in each pan. They just came out of the oven, and they're perfect!!! They're all three the same size, and they're all done!!

OK...if this is just something new to me, and everyone else has already figured it out...just say DUH!!
Sounds like something I'd do if I were to think about it! :hysterical:
In fact, I'm making pumpkin bread this afternoon and I think I'll do that!

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Thrifty Bee...I use mine when I buy big packs of meat too. Mine is a digital postal scale. I bought it at a yard sale for a couple of dollars. It was brand new...still in the box...never opened!!