Hummus

X

Xaiyla

Great Middle Eastern Dip!

2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I like a little more in mine)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil

(optional)
1 pinch paprika
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl or plate.

Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture.
(optional)
Sprinkle with paprika and parsley

Also VERY good with Tabuli as a garnish!

Serve with warm pita bread.

H

hopeky94

I LOVE hummus, but haven't tried making it myself...

Where do you find tahini? Do regular grocery stores and/or SWM carry it, and if so, where? Does it come in a tube (like toothpaste)?

What exactly is tabuli? Can this also be found in regular grocery stores or SWM?

N

nrpeace17

See the Op's other post, it's for tabuli.

[FONT=georgia,times,times new roman,serif]"Tabuli is a nutritious mix of softened bulghur wheat with herbs (there's a hint of mint in there), cucumbers, onions and tomatoes, held together with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mahin makes a yogurt sauce to pour over the top. Tahini (ground, hulled sesame seeds), garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice are blended into the yogurt to give it a nutty zest. "[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia,times,times new roman,serif][/FONT]
[FONT=georgia,times,times new roman,serif]I got this on the net.
[/FONT]

X

Xaiyla

I get my Tahini from an international food store (also get the bulgar wheat there for the tabuli) It comes in a plastic can type thing and is really not what I would consider a paste as it is not that thick.

I'm sure you have one around though you might find it in an upscale grocery store.

My husband is 1/2 palestinian and his cousin showed me how to make both because I LOVE it!

I don't use the mint in my tabuli (I posted a recipe for tabuli under salads etc) There are different ways to make tabuli. I don't use yogurt.

O

oregoncactus

Trader Joe's has a tub of tahini sauce in the refrigerator sections. It has garlic and lemon (and maybe something else - I ran out so I can't look at the container) already in it, so I adjust recipes accordingly.

christi

H

hopeky94

Hmm, we don't have Trader Joe's here (I wish we did, though!)... Does anyone know if maybe Wild Oats would have it?

TIA!

E

ElaineHN

I know Hummus 'purists' would probably :nono77::mad37::pishposh:the idea ... but I make hummus all the time without Tahini .... and I really don't miss it.

My recipe is basically the same as above ... but I've gradually replaced most of the oil (and the tahini) with lemon juice and some of the liquid the garbonzo beans are packed in ... in order to make it as low fat as possible. I still enjoy the flavor and texture just fine.

ElaineHN's Hummus Recipe

1 can - Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - drain but reserve the liquid
2 tbsp - Olive Oil
2 cloves - Garlic (more or less to taste)
1 tbsp - Lemon juice (more or less to taste)
Optional:
Cayenne Pepper, Fresh Parsley, other herbs to taste

1. Drain Chickpeas but reserve the liquid. Toss peas into food processor, blender or Magic Bullet.
2. Add garlic cloves and begin to puree.
3. Drizzle olive oil into chick peas as they process. Drizzle in the lemon juice. If needed, add chickpea liquid (by the spoonful) till you reach the desired consistancy or smoothness. (You can of course use more Olive Oil and/or Tahini if you wish, but using the pea liquid reduces the fat.)
4. Once the mixture reaches the desired smoothness, add any additional chopped herbs or seasonings that you wish. Pulse just long enough to mix into the hummus, but not so long as to completely puree the parsley, etc. and turn the hummus an unappetizing shade of green.

Delicious served as a dip or can be used as a sandwich spread. I like it with dry toasted whole wheat pita chips.

Number of Servings: 6 - 2.15 ww points per serving
Nutritional Info:
Calories:113.1
Protein: 3.0g
Fat: 5.2g
Carbohydrates: 14.0g
Fiber: 2.7

J

Jiji

I have never tried it and am wondering what you might compare it to, both in texture OR in taste.

C

Colinsgrandma

The first time I tried hummus I thought it was awful...right up there with liver. There's a very cool campus restaurant in a city about 50 miles from us and one day we had the flat bread and hummus appetizer OMG it was wonderful. Now I make the flat bread at home[ recipe from cooks.com] I put Mrs. Dash, garlic salt and parmesan cheese on top and bake until it's like a cracker. I admit I buy the jarred hummus I've tried several kinds and like them all. This makes a easy and fun dinner. It just proves it pays to try things at least twice.