How to cook turkey parts?

VivaciousJewelz

Mod of the Month March 2011 Plays with Fire
Trader Group
So, I split the grocery shopping with my roommate and her mom, and my roommate's mom tends to buy the most random stuff, and then doesn't cook it. Since I live here and I'm trying to save money, I often try to cook some of the stuff she buys so it doesn't get wasted, but I'm stumped on this one.

We have 3 lbs of turkey wings and 2 lbs of turkey necks... I've never cooked turkey, I don't even know if I WANT to cook and then eat a turkey neck... :giggle2:So what do I do? I need ideas on how to cook these turkey parts!

Mods- forgive me if this is already a topic, I tried to find a turkey thread.

ETA: It occurs to me that I probably should have posted this in the poultry forum... See how turkey deficient I am?? :hectic:

C

chitownmelli

Dont worry about it, we can move it later. I thought I remembered telling you how to cook this before, or I just thought I did and never actually told you.... Hope you don't mind if I look through some recipes and get back to you on it tomorrow, I was just stepping away for the night. I'll come up with some good stuff for ya. I would also try browsing allrecipes - there is always something good on there, and you can filter them by rating, which I like.

I would not like to eat a turkey neck - I throw those away if I do not use them to make stock.

Maybe someone else has some recipes they could share ????

VivaciousJewelz

Mod of the Month March 2011 Plays with Fire
Trader Group
It's not urgent, I am not planning on trying to cook turkey for a few days, it was just on my mind as I was going through the freezer to plan what we're going to eat the rest of the week. :smile:

O

OneHotMomma

You could probably cook the turkey wings the same way you would chicken wings only adjust the time a little since they're larger. Maybe make broth or stock with the neck.

C

chitownmelli

I agree with the other posters. BBQ turkey wings come to mind, I think those would be yummy!

CW&M Mom

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG!
Trader Group
I'd probably make some turkey soup. Throw all of the parts in a stockpot of boiling water...and boil it down til the meat is obviously cooked and falling off the bone. throw some onions in there as well.

Then you'll keep some of the liquid, turkey deboned, add celery, carrots ect...and noodles at the end...and you will need to add salt and I usually add a couple of bouillon cubes as well.