How long can you store unopened Hamburger Helper?

Discussion in 'Couponing Basics & The Art of Stockpiling' started by Justmeinflorida, Jul 21, 2011.

Moderators: Green is Gold
  1. Justmeinflorida

Justmeinflorida Active Member Trader Group

Hi,

Publix is having a great sale right now on Hamburger Helper w/q's they will be .46 :BigHand: Now I don't use a ton of it but I do get those moments when I really don't feel like cooking and Hamburger Helper is very convenient, I'm seriously considering picking up 18 boxes on separate trips so I don't shelf clear of course.

So how long can you store it? :dontknow1:

2. shelleyf

shelleyf Member of the Month March 2009 Trader Group

I don't know for sure but I think it lasts a year or longer after it expires. We hate it so I don't buy it.

3. CSchunk

CSchunk Guest

I would think it would last a very long time, but I am always concerned about bugs for long term storage... I remember living in FL as a kid, those little terrors got into everything.

The price isn't good enough for me to say you should stock up heavily though, definitely not a once in a lifetime kind of deal.

4. $Saving!

$Saving! Guest

If you have a food saver, you could shrink wrap the contents and put the instructions taped to the outside if you planned on keeping it past it's expiration date, which I believe is several months at least.

Or you could make it up and then freeze for future meals.

5. jkeating

jkeating Guest

I put mine in my chest freezer which I've never done before.

I do freeze my cereal because I don't want to get those flour moths.

Not sure how the pasta in it will fare but I'm hopeful.

6. Doglover8180

Doglover8180 Guest

I throw all those box food items out after the exp. date on the box.... I don't risk it when it comes to food - I follow dates to the T.

7. Gertie2u

Gertie2u Guest

Those dates assume a certain set of circumstances. With a box of Hamburger Helper, the expiration date assumes you purchase it from the store and then place it on a shelf at home.

Like you, we don't use hamburger helper very often, and only for convenience. I have tried two different things in the past to store Hamburger Helper. Once I opened up the frozen veggies I would be cooking with them - I always add in some frozen vegetables like broccoli in the cheesy mac version - and poured the contents of the box inside. Then I dropped the pouch in and re-sealed with my vacuum sealer. When I cooked them up 3 or 4 months later, they were just fine. As you would naturally expect, the contents kept longer frozen. Unfortunately, we like our veggies a bit on the al dente side, so cooking all together for the full time left them a tad overcooked for our tastes.

The next time I again opened up the vegetables. Being forewarned, I pressed a vacuum seal right up by the vegetable contents. I emptied the box contents into the top, added the packet, and again sealed so that I had something that looked like two bags attached together. When I cooked them, I could then place the Hamburger Helper in first and add the vegetables a bit later so that they were not cooked so much. Worked just awesome, and they don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from having been frozen that way for several months.

I never expected the dry pasta would not freeze just fine because my grandmother used to make homemade noodles each fall. She would dry them carefully on trays under light tea towels, then freeze them in order to have homemade noodles all winter and they were just fine.

8. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

If you have the space I'd freeze it, like jkeating mentioned. We always freeze cereal, cookies, chips, brownie and cake mixes, tons of stuff like that. I don't think there will be a bit of a problem but of course not everyone has the freezer space.

If you're concerned about moths getting in you can always get those great big sealable bags and store them in those.

9. Merczilla

Merczilla Well-Known Member Trader Group

I just used a box of Chicken Helper I found on the shelf a couple days ago. It expired in July 2009. lmao I don't buy it either, as most versions have too much sodium and MSG in them. The seasonings may not have been at peak, but it didn't bother anybody. I don't tell my family if it's expired because my kids won't eat it if it's even one day expired. If my oldest son knew he was eating peanut butter (Adams stir kind) that expired 5 years ago, he'd probably have a cow. It's just fine. lol

10. 434Teresa

434Teresa Guest

Dates on food dont really mean that much..It is more of a best by date then meaning the food is not any good any more past the date.

The FDA allows dent can stores to sell can,box and bottle foods way past the date, i mean years past the dates on the them. They say not to relay on date as much as your nose and taste buds. Even foods with 'in' dates could be bad.

The only things I find that dont last much past the date on them is frig items.

11. CW&M Mom

CW&M Mom ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG! Trader Group

I wouldn't worry about the noodles, more concern about the sauce powder packets because eventually they can go rancid. I would probably say within a year or so of when the best buy date is...if they are going to be in a reasonably cool area. However if they get stored above the stove or similar....I wouldn't stockpile more then a couple.

I also don't eat expired PB any longer. Last time I did...it had gone rancid....blech.

12. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

I'm not a big fan of HH, but here are a few things I do, because I do buy it when it's free :biggrin:.
    Think "out of the box"
    I take the seasoning packet and stick it into a plastic freezer bag and label it with the type. I staple the instructions and any additional packets together.
    Then I store the baggies in the freezer.
    The noodles go into a basket in the pantry. They may or may not be used for the original HH meal. I might use them for soup, or any other pasta dish.
    Then I tear off the box top and recycle the box. :biggrin:
    This way they probably take less than 1/2 of the original space.

Another tip - I take the pizza out of the box before putting it into my freezer - I can store twice as many that way.

CW&M Mom likes this.
  13. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

You've gotten lots of good advice here. I've used HH a few months past the date on the box without a problem. I've found that if it's 6 months or more past the date, the sauce doesn't thicken like it should, and doesn't have as much flavor.

You might also consider that some of the tuna and chicken flavors are good without adding tuna or chicken, and can be used as a side dish. Same with the Mexican flavors of HH, since they are all rice dishes. Using them this way, you might use them up faster than if you used them for a meal.

clippyclippy likes this.
  14. Gertie2u

Gertie2u Guest

I've never put rice in the freezer. We like rice, so if I get a HH with rice, it doesn't usually hang around long. DH doesn't like pasta, but DD and I sometimes just crave something with pasta. That's when I feed DH leftovers and make a HH pasta meal for DD and I.

I buy most of my rice in the form of a 25 pound bag of Jasmine brown rice at the Asian grocery. As long as it is stored in a cool, dry place in a sealed container, it should keep fine up to a year is what the grocery's wife told me. I've never actually tested it. Takes us around four months at most to eat 25 pounds. I'd been considering picking up a 50 pound bag next time, but recently picked up 1 pound bags of Mahatma rice on sale. After coupon doubled to $1/1, I ended up with 29 free pounds of rice. Gotta love free rice.

15. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

I have stored rice in the freezer with no problem at all - the 25 pound bags from Sam's. If I had the space I'd still be putting it in there.

16. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

Oh yeah. Did that once. Will never do it again! It wasn't even badly expired. But it was during the summer and it was hot. Apparently it goes rancid very quickly.

17. CW&M Mom

CW&M Mom ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶Dugalina٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ ᙢᘎG! Trader Group

Mine was less then a month expired.

I can still taste it...double blech.

Moderators: Green is Gold