How do I make my icing foamier?

L

LadyCamelion

I used to go to this wonderful carribean grill back home. They make the most fantastic Tres Leches (3 milk cake). The recipe I use to make it is ALMOST perfect. The icing, which is made of heavy cream and sugar is too thick. I want it to be lighter... "foamier" if that makes sense. I thought of beating an egg white into it but then there would be raw egg in it and I really don't want that. I considered just beating the cream less... but am worried that it wont hold together. Maybe less cream and more sugar? I really appreciate any help. TIA! :smile:

C

clippyclippy

Did the original cake have a meringue frosting? I believe that's the traditional thing.
You could try using pasteurized egg whites, although I've heard they might not beat up as nicely.
Myself, I'd just use regular eggs - but that's me, the risk taker :biggrin:

L

LadyCamelion

Ahhh, I probably should have mentioned this, originally. No, it's not a meringue. It's just a pint of heavy cream and 3T sugar beaten until thick. Here's pics:

icing-1.jpgicing-2.jpg

Although this recipe uses a very thick icing, the restaraunt back home somehow gets there slightly frothy... Is there any other way than to use raw egg? I'd hate giving that to my kids.

L

LadyCamelion

I think what I'm going to do is just whip the cream only until spoonable... maybe that will help.