Hot Dog Recipes?

T

tinkerbell_82

Hello all!

I have an abundance of hot dogs from the Q's this month, and I'm looking for various ways to use them. Please share your favorite hot dog recipe.

We are having a party this Saturday, so appetizer/party food recipes will be especially appreciated!!

TIA!!

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cynthiabutterfly

The only recipe I know:

Boil Hot dogs, and give one to DS #1 (4-yo) on the plate. Pour ketchup on the plate. Cut up a second hot dog and place in a bowl. Sit DS #1 and DS#2 (18 mos) next to each other at the table. DS #1 eats the ketchup and DS#2 eats both hot dogs.

My Mom:
Open a can of beans. Slice hot dogs and pour both into a bowl and microwave. Force your family to eat them because you don't know how to cook anything else and they will starve otherwise because no one knows how to buy/make sandwiches.

E

extechy

Homemade corn dogs using Jiffy Mix cornbread mix.

You can also make hotdog rollups using flour tortilla.

Some time ago I used Rachael Ray's Sloppy Jo DiMaggio recipe. I'm sure the recipe is still on The Food Network's website.

P

Psmommy

My son likes his hotdogs cut up in mac n cheese.
I like the good old fashioned crescent dogs. Just wrap a hotdog up in a crescent roll w/ some cheese and bake according to the crescent roll package.

P

purplefdu

The only recipe I know:

Boil Hot dogs, and give one to DS #1 (4-yo) on the plate. Pour ketchup on the plate. Cut up a second hot dog and place in a bowl. Sit DS #1 and DS#2 (18 mos) next to each other at the table. DS #1 eats the ketchup and DS#2 eats both hot dogs.

My Mom:
Open a can of beans. Slice hot dogs and pour both into a bowl and microwave. Force your family to eat them because you don't know how to cook anything else and they will starve otherwise because no one knows how to buy/make sandwiches.
:hysterical: I almost peed myself.

For apps, cut the dogs in half and wrap half a crescent roll or less around and bake. Serve with toothpicks and ketchup/mustard/sauce.

Cut into halves or thirds and cook in crock pot with a bottle of bbq sauce. Serve with toothpicks.

Boiled or microwaved and warmed through goes well sliced in mac and cheese or pork and beans for the kids.

I've never tried to make my own corndogs, but I'd love a recipe for it.

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
We do grilled hot dogs, hot dogs in the mac-n-cheese with brocolli, beany weanies (pork and beans and hot dogs...my kids love this for lunch) cresent wrapped hot dogs, for the kiddos try hot dog octopus where you slice the hotdog part way up and boil and the slices curl into legs. For appitisers you could throw sliced hotdogs in some BBQ sauce in the crockpot and put out toothpicks for guests to poke and eat.

H

hopeky94

Instead of crescent rolls, you can also wrap a small piece of bacon around a slice of hot dog that's just longer than the bacon's width. Secure with a toothpick, sprinkle with a little brown sugar, and bake. Just be sure to use a deep enough pan, for all the grease that comes off the bacon (a broiler pan or cake pan with metal rack inside would be ideal)!

HTH!

E

ElaineHN

Yep ... i was going to suggest the 'crescent roll' dogs too. I made some this weekend by cutting 'bun length' hotdogs in half and rolling each in one crescent roll. I've also made them in the past with other types of 'canned' dough ... biscuit dough, pizza crust cut into strips, and breadsticks all work well. Each one has a slightly different finished texture & look but all tasted fine.

You can make octopi or squid by cutting length-wise into the hotdog about 2/3's of the length of the dog to make 8 'tentacles' when you boil the hot dog the tentacles curl up. It's hard to exlpain the cuts, but hopefully you can figure it out. And be careful cutting ... those suckers tend to 'roll' on you.

The photos here look kind of disgusting to me ... but I guess to a kid it's 'fun' - How to Make Hot Dog Octopus - Step by step recipe instructions. and I believe if you boil instead of microwaving the hot dog, the legs will curl up more.

M

mommy2skie

my dad makes an amazing "hot dog gravy"
you brown cut up hot dogs in a pan slowly
in a cup mix flour and milk till a little stiff. set aside
when hotdogs brown good, pour milk in the pan and stir. make sure to get all the bits off the bottom of the pan. let it heat up till almost a boil.
stir in the flour mix slowly. let it heat up and thicken, keep stirring as you know gravy can go bad really fast.
when you reach the desired consistancy turn heat off.
make mashed potatoes (not from a box)
and put the hot dog and gravy over the potatoes.
this is my favorite!!!

here is another.

my mother made this one "Hot dog soup"

boil noodles in a pot till aldente.... (almost cooked but still hard)
in one big pot pour in peas, sliced up hotdogs, the noodles, corn, and pasta sauce.
you can add onions or anything else you want in your soup.
and add water till it looks like soup.
cook until hotdogs are done (they will look puffy)

this is also my favorite soup!

hope you like.

T

tinkerbell_82

Wow! Thank you all so much for sharing your recipes! I'll have these weenies used up in no time! :)

Reps for all of you!!! :)

C

clevermom2004

Po mans Potatoe Soup

1 onion sauteed
1pkg hot dogs
6-8 potatoes-cooked, peeled, sliced - at least 1 for each person
1 cup vegtables-whatever is on hand
2-4 chicken bullion cubes
Pepper (no salt- the cubes and hot dogs have plenty of salt)
Milk
Cream or half and half

Put onion, potatoes, 2 bullion cubes and vegtables in pan. depending on how much you have I fill the pan halfway with water, and 1/4 of pan milk. Cook over low heat, add pepper as disired. Add hot dogs, cook until hot dogs are done. Add more bullion, just be careful not to get too saltey. Shut off stove, remove from burner add cream. Serve. Good with crackers, buns, butter, Jelly.

H

heyaheather

I was just going to post my "recipe" for hot dogs wrapped in biscuits!

I still have a freezer full of dogs--veggie dogs too, so I needed to figure out a way to use all the biscuits that I got recently too.

All you do is roll out the biscuit with a rolling pin to create an oval. I let it stick to the rolling pin and wrap 2/3 - 3/4 of the way around. Then I peel it off and wrap it around a thawed dog. Place on a lightly greased pan, otherwise mine stick. Then bake @ 350 for ~10 minutes or until nicely browned. I'm thinking this would be a good kid's b-day party sandwich. You don't even need the condiments!

C

Cynthiabutterfly

I've never tried to make my own corndogs, but I'd love a recipe for it.

I just mix up the cornbread and put it in muffin tins filled half full. Slice the hot dogs and put in as many slices as you can. Bake as usual.

I tried making them fried, but it's hard to get the batter the right consistency to stick to the dog. These are healthier anyway.

M

mama22qts

I just mix up the cornbread and put it in muffin tins filled half full. Slice the hot dogs and put in as many slices as you can. Bake as usual.

I tried making them fried, but it's hard to get the batter the right consistency to stick to the dog. These are healthier anyway.
Ohhh, I never thought of that! I think I know what the kids are having for supper tonight! Thanks!