Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

B

bargainshopper

I usually just use a jar but if I want to make alot for a bigger recipe to freeze for later I do this:

Start with canned tomatoes, sauteed onions and garlic, a can of broth, beef or chicken, italian spices, and simmer for at least an hour. Then add a jar of your favorite jar sauce.

M

mama22qts

Sounds good. I always wanted to know how to make my own sauce from scratch but I've heard it takes a LONG time. Would your recipe be ok without the added jar?

T

tup4ever

Mama22qts I have only ever made my own sauce from scratch. I never add any jarred sauce. Just last night my 9 yr. old asked for pasta and sauce for dinner since it is one of his favorites. So I whipped up some sauce and start to table it was 35 minutes. It does taste better if you cook it longer but I'm talking 60-90 minutes not all day. One time I made sauce right before going to bed and then put it into the crock pot so it could cook all night- 5 minuted then the crock pot.
BTW I bought a jar of sauce(a good brand) for just in case. One night I was really tired, DH was working and DS wanted pasta. So I thought what the heck I'll fix that jar of sauce. I didn't mention it to DS and when he took his first bite he got a horrid look on his face and wanted to know what was wrong with the sauce! He refused to eat it and I have never bought a jar since!!

M

mama22qts

tup4ever said:
Mama22qts I have only ever made my own sauce from scratch. I never add any jarred sauce. Just last night my 9 yr. old asked for pasta and sauce for dinner since it is one of his favorites. So I whipped up some sauce and start to table it was 35 minutes. It does taste better if you cook it longer but I'm talking 60-90 minutes not all day. One time I made sauce right before going to bed and then put it into the crock pot so it could cook all night- 5 minuted then the crock pot.
BTW I bought a jar of sauce(a good brand) for just in case. One night I was really tired, DH was working and DS wanted pasta. So I thought what the heck I'll fix that jar of sauce. I didn't mention it to DS and when he took his first bite he got a horrid look on his face and wanted to know what was wrong with the sauce! He refused to eat it and I have never bought a jar since!!

Ok, so what's the recipe? I'm dying to know!

B

bargainshopper

Well, I add the jar of sauce because sometimes my own tastes a little acidy, I think from canned tomatoes, and not as sweet. My favorite of all is Ragu, Garlic and herb. And I fix it often by itself. But, I add canned to stretch the sauce and have more of it, and it tastes good.

B

bargainshopper

If you start from fresh tomatoes not canned, I bet it comes out the best. I've never tried that.

T

tup4ever

I just checked this thread but have to run to Giant to use a catalina that expires tonight so I will post my recipe when I get back.

M

mama22qts

I just checked this thread but have to run to Giant to use a catalina that expires tonight so I will post my recipe when I get back.
Good cause I'd love to make some sauce this weekend!

Apennysaved

Trader Group
Mix in a 8qt kettle
4-5 small cans tomato paste
1 large can tomato puree
1 clove of garlic crushed
1t oregano
1T parsley
1t basil
1 bay leaf
1t salt
1T pepper
2T sugar
5 T parmesan cheese
Fill the kettle with water to within 1-2 inches from the top of the kettle. Let cook for about 20 minutes before adding meat.

Meatballs..
2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs
salt & pepper to taste
1t oregano
1T parsley
1/2 t basil
1 clove crushed garlic
3T parmesan cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs

Mix and form meatballs, you could brown them but I just add to the sauce raw because they cook though fine that way. I also add browned hot italian sausage links to the sauce and skim the fat that may raise to the surface as the sauce is cooking. Simmer sauce for 4 hours stirring often.

Last edited:
G

garthbarth1

This sounds great...I have always wanted to make my own sauce!

W

wheels111

My recipe only takes about 20 minutes - I start the pot of water heating for spaghetti, and immediately start the sauce. Put the pasta in the boiling water, and when it is done, the sauce is done.

no amounts, I adjust for the size of the crowd, and always extra for leftovers!
skillet Olive oil, mince garlic and onion - saute
add chopped mushrooms, green pepper, tomato - saute
add canned tomato sauce
add oregano, basil, fennel, salt, pepper
simmer until done

F

FantasyIsland

No fungus homemade "gravy" (that's pasta sauce)

I have several different versions -- one for low-spice, spicy!, quicky after work, and gonna feed an army pasta main course

Quicky after work
can of puree - preferrably Tuttorosso
smashed clove of garlic (leave chunks big)
or large spoonful of the jarred chopped garlic
May substitute garlic powder
some: basil, onion powder, oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper - to taste -
some water

Simmer while pasta cooks - stir often

Low spice:
1 Can crushed tomatoes
2 Cans puree
cook italian sausage (sweet) in heavy pan,
lightly heat up garlic and onions (optional) at the same time ( generally toss out the grease, so I use a fry-pan for this step)
spices as above
Full can of water
If you're busy, use oven-safe container (pot or bowl) and set oven at 350. This saves having to worry about sticking, burning, and stirring repeatedly. Stove top takes about 1/2 to 2 hr depending on heat setting.

High spice and oh, so yummy
Lightly cook Italian HOT sausage in sauce pot - keep the grease!
Everything else same as above except at end of cooking time, skim off any remaining grease. It's the grease that adds the "heat".

For both Low spice and high spice, I leave the meat in the sauce to finish cooking.

I sometimes add meatballs but I cook them in the oven and add to gravy just before serving (way too much fat).

For an army, I start in the morning, triple the recipe, use a 10 qt "gravy pot" and throw it all in the oven for simmering - about 4-6 hrs. Whatever's leftover when the army leaves, I freeze in ice cube trays, then bag. There's always some hanging around here, good for those days when I make stromboli and want some "dipping sauce".

For just the 2 of us or every day, I now use jarred sauce since I'm getting it free - We prefer Tuttorosso (surprise!) but I still add my own touches to it. DH likes variety and with it being just the 2 of us, he is all for truly "free" - no cost and no work! and easier clean-up. But when I'm making a special dinner or we're having company, it's back to fully homemade for me.

Fan

B

bnjv8crd

Well, I add the jar of sauce because sometimes my own tastes a little acidy, I think from canned tomatoes,

I use jar sauce, and add tomatoes and other spices to it, but to get rid of the acidity, just add a bit of sugar. (Splenda works just as well)

T

***Tiffany***

I have never made my own sauce but Im going to have to try!

F

fonzysmom

I love making my own sauce I never use a can of anything just use tomatoes and a lot of spices and onions and garlic cheaper and taste much better and you can control what goes in it and see it .

M

meowgirl

:giggle2: :hysterical: :BigHand:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

meowgirl

it takes a half hour maybe to put all this together

but when you eat it it takes all day homeade!

but don't forget the main thing, let it sit in fridge for a least a day...

very important! *lol*

D

dani84m

A good tip for your own sauce: Grow some sweet basil and add that to your sauce. It tastes so good. Its one of the easiests thing to grow.

L

latamama

A good friend of mine was trying to teach me how to make sauce ( I say trying cuz I am so a.d.d.) anyway she told me to put a peeled potatoe in the sauce to absorb some of the acid while it was cooking then before serving (duh, lol) remove and toss potatoe and if you like it a little sweater add surgar white or brown.

K

kimandkathess

Thanks for the great tips! Im trying to go "no processed foods" Thanks!