Homemade Potato Chips

M

mommytaylor

DH loves potato chips, but they have so many preservatives - I switched to organic chips.. which are expensive. Now we make them at home - I can buy a bag of organic potatoes and we get so many more chips for the buck! It's easy!

Home Made Potato Chips

Ingredients:

-2 potatoes
-2 tbsp. cooking oils or butter
-Salt and additional seasonings

Preparation:
-Wash your potatoes thoroughly with cold water and dry them with a paper towel.
-Peel the potatoes using a potato peeler.
-Cut the potatoes into thin slices using either a sharp kitchen knife or a mandoline.
-Coat the potato slices with oil by hand or with a sauce brush.
-Sprinkle them with salt or other seasonings to taste.

Baked:
-Pre-heat your oven to around 400 degrees F.
-Place the potato chips on a baking tray (evenly spaced out).
-Bake the potato chips for 10 - 15 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
-Flip them over halfway through the baking.
-Take them out of the oven, let them cool off, and serve.

Microwaved:
-Spread out your potato slices in a single layer on a large microwaveable plate.
-Cook on high for about 3 - 5 minutes (or until your chips are properly browned).
-Set them aside to cool and repeat the process for the rest of your potato slices.
-Sprinkle additional salt and seasonings to taste.

Yum!

C

Cynthiabutterfly

When I get to the bottom of a pkg of tortillas and they are cracking or too dry to eat, I cut them into triangles, fry them and salt them. Yummy!

M

mommytaylor

When I get to the bottom of a pkg of tortillas and they are cracking or too dry to eat, I cut them into triangles, fry them and salt them. Yummy!

ooOOoo that's an idea! I want to try that with corn tortillas!

J

jess323

I do that too! Or cut them into thin strips for tortilla soup!!! yum yum! :wink7:

F

famousamos30

I just made homemade tortilla chips for the first time last night - I can't believe how easy and how good they were! I'm stoked to try the potato chips!

Thanks!

G

Ggbwg

How long do these last after frying them ? I was just wondering how many you could make ahead of time. Would they get soggy, Moldy, etc. if were trying to make a bunch up and store ?

I've always wanted to make some but never do. We make homeade fries sometimes. I love them w/ the skin on and i have a deep fryer, i know not good but sooo yummy.

L

loaslaen

One day I was trying to make some fried potatoes and used a slicer and deep fried them. They were thinner than they were supposed to be and I ended up with potato chips.

I also wanted hard taco shells one time and didn't have any, but had soft tortillas. You can put some oil in a skillet and fold it over a spoon and cook one side and then flip and cook the other side then place it on a napkin to dry/cool and soak up the oil. It was MUCH tastier than the store bought hard taco shells. I cut the rest of the soft tortillas into triangles with a pizza cutter and cooked them in the oil and made tortilla chips.

L

latte

i make tortilla chips (i prefer them made out of flour tortillas to corn tortillas.....corn tortillas are only good for enchiladas) but i dont *fry* them

i cut them into strips or triangles (depends on my mood) take a pastry brush and brush on melted butter on both sides and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper, frehs ground sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder

put in oven @ 375 bake f or 10 minutes, flip them over and bake for an additional 5 minutes

i dont like hard shell tacos...........but you can also make *taco bowls* by placing the tortillas into a pot of oil, and taking a metal soup ladle and pressing down into the middle of it (we use to do this at a restaraunt i worked at many years ago)

K

kval07

I just made these and they were really good! I just used a bit of Lawry's salt.

What other suggestions do you have for seasonings?

T

tinkinpink84

Ive used potatoes to make home made chips before! Just regular salt ones or salt and vinegar! my friend made taco shells once with tortillas when they just gave us a new oven in our house on base and she ended up burning the top of the oven! But they did turn out awesome! Never thought about that with tortillas frying em up. May have to do that with the ones i have leftover!

P

PopCulture

Interesting. I might have to try this. I tried to make onion rings and they didn't turn out too great. Lol.