Homemade Microwave Popcorn -- mmmmmmmm!!!

B

bexx09

Did you know that you can make your own microwave popcorn at home? Not only is it cheap & easy, but it's healthier since you're not getting all the added artificial flavorings and things they put into the microwave bag versions.

All you do is pour about 1/3 cup of popcorn in a brown lunch bag and fold the top down 2 or 3 times (use a 1/2 inch fold). Place the bag on it's side in the microwave and hit the popcorn button. Be sure to stand by while popcorn pops so that you can adjust the time as needed.

I love natural popcorn with a little bit of parmesan cheese, but you can do anything you want to your popcorn. Pour some melted butter over it or create your own recipe!

Food Network's Alton Brown has a Plain Brown Popper recipe that sounds good too. He uses staples to keep his bag closed, but when I made some popcorn earlier, my bag stayed shut just fine on it's own. :biggrin:

S

server18

I have been doing it this way for years, and yes it is the best. For some reason it just has a totally different taste. Yum now I want some. I like the yellow corn versus the white.

I like Lawry's seasoning salt on mine.

J

jujubee

Ok, I didn't even know you could still buy bags of popcorn. D'oh!

B

bexx09

Thanks for the tip server18! I'll have to try the yellow corn now. =)

Lol, juju! I know... I was surprised to find them too, it's like something from my childhood. ;)

T

tastefullyjune

Yummy I'm going to try this with the kids-I just repped ya!

A

aimeebee

I have done this too. You can put in your own light butter/ not too much salt. You can use olive oil or vegetable oil. I have even used my pampered chef microwave pans (the large one) to cook the popcorn in. It takes a little longer because of the vented lid, but works/tastes just as good. If you don't have any lunch bags, this will work.

A loooong time ago, I had a friend who made caramel corn in the microwave in a grocery size paper bag. It was the BEST caramel corn EVER! Anybody have a recipe for that?? I asked my friend about it and she didn't even remember ever making it. It was more than 20 years ago, so I forgave her. LOL

N

Nicole

My husband and I have been doing this for a long time... it really helps out on a diet! It's YUMMY...good to feed the ducks too kids love that

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bexx09

I discovered the natural microwave popcorn last year while I was stockpiling Act II and absolutely fell in love. But of course I only grabbed about 5 boxes and now all I have is the Butter kind. So the brown bag version is PERFECT for me now. :biggrin:

A

amerline

Thanks, this is great. I can't stand microwave popcorn and usually pop mine on the stove in oil. The brown paper bag method should cut the fat out.

I also use Lawrey's season salt on my popcorn. Even better is sprinkling it with those little packs of seasoning from Little Caesars pizza.

K

kmmmom

just a word of caution when using this method: The paper bags can catch on fire. This happened to my brother when we were younger. I'm sure he had it in there too long, but if you are letting your kids do it, be sure to supervise.

And it is better this way!

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
will have to rememember that when I run out of my tote of micowave popcorn. I like those mini bags of popcorn...perfect little size.

L

luv2ydsale

Geeez just bought micro wave popcorn today. Wish I would have read this post earlier. Guess I will start a stockpile of Micro popcorn for my married kids. lol And start using paper bags. I like regular popcorn better but Micro is fast so have been using that. Can't wait to buy regular popcorn and try it. Thanks for the great posts.

C

cuzisaidso

My DH is on a diet. I'll have to tell him about this. He loves popcorn.

Q

Q fun for me

This is an amazing idea!
How easy. I am definitely putting popcorn kernels on my shopping list...along with some brown paper bags.

Thanks for sharing the idea.:wink7:

C

Colinsgrandma

They sell microwave popcorn poppers. They work really well, I sometimes add butter and a few tablespoons of sugar better than kettle corn.

P

PraiseAdonai

Thanks Colingrandma if you didn't post today I would of never saw this.

Good pointers.

R

robynvandyke

Wow, so simple and yet sounds so yummy! Can't wait to try it out!

Rep'd ya!

H

heyitsdrea

We use a popcorn popper because we eat it every day!! You'd be suprised that a 1/2 C of popcorn kernals make a whopping BIG bowl when you use an air popcorn popper. There are flavorings right next to the kernals at walmart. I believe we have them all:

ranch
butter
mac and cheese
sour cream

We also use 1/2 cup of butter/alternative just to lightly coat and than sprinkle the flavorings. My kids like seasoning salt. I like kettle corn(add sugar).

-Andre'a