Recipes - Super Simple Hired-hand Soup

Gardencook

Trader Group
I wrote down this recipe years ago, but never got around to making it. If I recall correctly, I found it in a community cookbook. The recipe caught my eye, because it was a good one to use up common stockpile items we've usually got on hand. You could easily substitute canned mixed vegetables for the frozen or even use a mix of various cans of vegetables. I added some chopped leftover baked potatoes and shredded cabbage or dark leafy greens would have been tasty, as well.
I followed the recipe pretty closely, although I did cut back on the amount of ground beef, used garlic powder instead of garlic salt and used my homemade hot pepper sauce. Rather than fix it on the stove-top, I just dumped everything in the Crock-Pot late this morning.

Hired-hand Soup
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large onions
Salt, pepper and garlic salt, to taste
1 can cream-style corn
1 large can V-8 juice
1 large bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4-5 drops Tabasco, to taste

Brown lightly the lean ground beef and drain off all fat. Chop onions and add the beef, season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Cook on low heat until onions are soft, but not brown. Add cream corn, V-8, mixed vegetables, cream of mushroom soup and Tabasco sauce. Simmer until vegetables are cooked. Freezes well.