Help with Biscuits

L

Leann

OK, somebody from the south/midwest help me out here. I had Buttermilk Biscuits for the first time in my life almost 2 years ago. (Yeah I know, I'm from the northeast and the only biscuits we had came from the chubby guy that giggles) We've tried some different recipes, but none of them get fluffy and flaky. We're not overworking the dough, and we let them rise. Please help!

L

~LL~

Here is one of my biscuit recipes

Buttermilk Biscuits

3 c flour
4 t baking powder
1 T sugar
1 t salt
¾ t cream of tartar
¾ c butter, chopped
1 ¼ c buttermilk (or 1 c milk)

Mix everything but buttermilk. Make a crater in the mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Stir until just moistened. Do not overstir.

Form biscuits. The less handling of the dough, the better (overhandling makes tough biscuits). I just make a lump on the floured surface and press it out with my fingertips until it's a nice thickness, about two fingers high.

Bake biscuits at 450 for 10-12 minutes, until golden.

For a variation, add 1/4 c whipping or heavy cream and make drop biscuits instead of formed biscuits

ETA: If you are wanting more of a light/feather biscuit...I would suggest angel biscuits or baking powder biscuits....let me dig.

L

~LL~

Angel biscuits

Yeast in the dough makes this biscuit recipe lighter than most.
INGREDIENTS:

• 1 package active dry yeast (about .25 ounce)
  • 1/4 cup warm water, about 110° F.
  • 2 cups warmed buttermilk, about 110° F.
  • 5 to 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3/4 cup chilled shortening
  • 4 tablespoons chilled butter
  • melted butter
PREPARATION:

Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm water. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some small pea-size pieces of fat. Stir in yeast mixture and buttermilk, blending well. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead with floured hands just a few turns. Pat into a round about 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2- to 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutters. Place cut out biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a dish cloth and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for about 15 to 20 minutes. Brush tops with the melted butter while still hot. Makes about 2 to 3 dozen angel biscuits, depending on size.

L

Leann

This is awesome thanks! My 17 y/o son is the biscuit maker in the house so I'm going to have him try both. I do Bread, Pizza Dough etc...stuff you have to work, I can't not overwork it. LOL I'll let you this weekend how it goes. These ingredients are different from what we were using (More flour, less baking soda, no cream of tartar) so I'm sure they'll come out different.:thanks100: This is way awesome

E

ElaineHN

Here is an incredibly easy basic biscuit recipe - Southern Biscuits Georgia Girl goes into a bit of detail about the type of flour she uses and the tecnique for 'hand rolling' the biscuits if you don't want to roll them out and cut them ... but I've never perfected her method of hand rolling ... mine alwas come out ugly, but still tasty! :biggrin:

And here is a 'lightened' recipe that is sort of a cross between a biscuit and dinner roll in my opinion. It may not be exactly what you are looking for this time ... but if you ever need something unimagineably easy, quick and un-mess-up-able give it a try- it's yummy - Low Fat Angel Biscuits

L

Leann

but if you ever need something unimagineably easy, quick and un-mess-up-able give it a try-

No no, I prefer difficult, long suffering, able to be fouled a million ways in a single bound......:hysterical:

These are awesome, fortunately my son has Saturday, off work. I've told him about the new recipes. My husband offered to make one of them but he's doing 10 hour days 6-7 days a week right now, so I'll try the super easy one and let my son do the others. Will let y'all know how they go. Now I'm looking forward to they day.....carbs! Yummy!

E

ElaineHN

If you have biscuits that fail misserably :hysterical: or if you just happen to have extras on hand ... try this Biscuit Pudding ... great as a dessert or even a breakfast treat!

Since I rarely have 'evaporated milk' on hand, I'd probably just use 1 1/2 cups of regular milk instead of using water & evaporated milk.

L

Leann

If you have biscuits that fail misserably :hysterical: or if you just happen to have extras on hand ... try this Biscuit Pudding ... great as a dessert or even a breakfast treat!

Since I rarely have 'evaporated milk' on hand, I'd probably just use 1 1/2 cups of regular milk instead of using water & evaporated milk.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Who me???????? I love to cook, it's just those dang biscuits that you can't overwork....ugh

M

maree_strawberry

Worked @ KC when I was 16.

4 Ingredients:

Buttermilk
flour
lard
real melted butter

Can't remember measurements?

Mixed first 3 ingredients In a mixer, roll It out 1+ inch thick, cut out, arrange on baking sheet.....you'll have to wing It.

brush with melted real butter after they come out of oven.

:rolleyes24: That was lots of help!

This sounds good -

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe

Y

YankeeGal

Here's another Southern cooking secret (coming from a family line who has been in the Appalachian since the late 1600s).

The way to get very VERY flaky light biscuits, is to not overwork the dough. Handle the dough as little as possible. Basically when you work the dough, double it twice only.

Additionally, when you cut in the butter, lard, shortening, make sure that you can actually see the little bits in the dough. They should be smaller than pea sized.

M

mama22qts

I have been having trouble with my biscuits and I wonder if the humidity is to blame. Seriously!!

I'm going to try the recipe above, but I wonder also if crisco would make a lighter biscuit than butter. I always use butter but mine don't rise enough or adhere enough. I'm making these tonight -- will update later!

M

mama22qts

Ok y'all, I couldn't wait so I went ahead and made these! The verdict is ---

FABULOUS!!!

They are light and beautiful. I made cat's head biscuits, so the recipe above only made 11. The texture is perfect. I baked mine at 450 for 11 minutes, and I used a pizza stone.

The only change I'd make is I'd half the sugar in these. Oh, and I used sea salt instead of table salt. I boiled peanuts yesterday and now I'm out of table salt.

I can finally make good biscuits!!

Those of you raised in the south will understand when I say I've FINALLY done it! My grandmother would be proud.:BigHand:

Oh, and one more hint -- I did not roll these out. I just picked up a smidge of dough and shaped it in my hand.