Help!!!! How do you cook rice?

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by momof4blessings, Oct 15, 2006.

1. momof4blessings

momof4blessings Guest

For years I have used a rice bowl and cooked rice in the microwave. I have no microwave right now and I need to cook rice for lunch today and can not remember how to make it on the stove. Somebody help please!!!!!

2. lmcconne

lmcconne Guest

Assuming you are inquiring about standard white long grain rice.

Directions from bag:

1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup long grain rice

In medium saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil. Stir in rice, butter and salt (if desired). Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat (do not stir) and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Makes 3 cups prepared.

3. SweetTea

SweetTea Guest

i like ready rice, you just put that in the microwave

4. momof4blessings

momof4blessings Guest

Thanks!

I use the regular long grain rice but I have this microwave bowl that cooks it in the microwave which makes it much easier but I don't have a microwave right now.

5. MOM2SNOX

MOM2SNOX Guest

No help here... I use a rice cooker!

6. BzyBee

BzyBee Guest

I like oven steamed rice...it does not get so clumpy and sticky as when I make it on the stove...
    Heat oven to 350
    mix 2 cups boiling water and 1 cup rice in 1 qt. casserole. Cover and bake 23-30 min or until water is absorbed.

Makes 3 cups rice

7. MOM2SNOX

MOM2SNOX Guest

Wow! I've never tried cooking it in the oven unless it was already in something... ie; stuffed peppers!

8. BzyBee

BzyBee Guest

It works great, even for rice mixes. I have a rice cooker...but I like it in the oven better.

9. clarkestep

clarkestep Guest

I learned to cook rice while living in Costa Rica. They're experts since they eat it 2-3 times a day! LOL Here's how they do it.

2 parts boiling water
    1 part rice

Saute uncooked rice, med-high heat, in just a little bit of oil, just enough to coat it. Saute until mostly bright white (not brown). You will keep stirring the whole time. Add the boiling water (not just hot water), cover, turn down heat to about medium. DON'T PEEK FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES and DO NOT STIR AT ALL. After about 20 minutes peek and check if the water is all absorbed. If you have to use a spoon to check, only displace enough rice to check it's progress. If not done, cover and let it finish, checking every few minutes. When done let it stand for 5-10 minutes before stirring or anything.

The sauteing of the uncooked rice does something to it (I have no idea what) that makes it stay firm.

Stirring rice while it is cooking makes it mushy and stick together. I don't know why (my Coata Rican mama would have a fit if I peeked or stirred her rice).

Hope this helps. Oh, and in Costa Rica they will saute the uncooked rice with salt and a clove of minced garlic, softening the garlic just a little before adding the rice.

10. hotcouponmama

hotcouponmama Guest

If you have a vegetable steamer with a little basket, it's 1cup rice to 1 1/4c water and then steamed for 35 minutes. I need a bigger steamer now that our kids are a bit older and eat the heck out of rice.

If you like basmati rice, I have done it in a pan where you salt the entire bottom of the pan, then put 1 3/4c water for ever 1 cup rice, and then once the rice and water are in the pan, take oil and pour enough in to float a layer of oil on top. Turn it on barely, like on 1-2 setting on your stove top, and walk away from it for hours. You wind up with really good rice and a crunchy, sticky layer on the bottom that people in other countries fight over at the dinner table - my DH loves the crunchy sticky bottom layer.

I am going to have to try the costa rican way - I think that sounds good!

11. zydeco

zydeco Guest

I make my rice the way clarkestep does. :RockOn:
    Browning the rice helps bring out the flavor-especially the nut flavor of Basmati.

12. flash

flash Guest

Baked Spanish Rice (see forum) is FABULOUS! And easy!