Has anyone cooked Tilapia before?

C

cybilx10

I have a bag of Tilapia that we had purchased and I dont know what to do with it. I dont know if I should fry it or just bake it in the oven or what? What did you guys eat with it? I am at a loss on this.. Why o Why did I let hubby buy that bag?

gettinrevvin2007

Trader Group
lol. I bought it once, 'cuz it was $1 and I wanted to try it. I just put it in a frying pan w/ a little butter, and then a little lemon juice over when it was done cooking...oh yeah, and salt and pepper. Very easy. Very quick and very cheap.

Merczilla

Trader Group
Or olive oil instead of butter if you prefer. I cooked it the same way. Used to buy a lot of it, but after the earthquake/tsunami in that neck of the woods it started all coming out of China, so I quit buying it. I haven't seen any out of Thailand in quite a while. I stopped checking a while back too. Gave up.

C

cheynesnana

We have it all the time! I dip it in egg.. then Panko bread crumbs. Fry it 'til it's golden brown.. and usually serve it with rice and green beans.. Yum!

S

Shadowchasy

I have a bag of Tilapia that we had purchased and I dont know what to do with it. I dont know if I should fry it or just bake it in the oven or what? What did you guys eat with it? I am at a loss on this.. Why o Why did I let hubby buy that bag?

you can fix it either way. I fried, like I would any other fish. My daughter bakes hers with Lemon Pepper and butter.

M

mzbeers

You can also crush up tortilla chips, put lime juice, and seasonings on it, then cover it with the crushed chips and bake, or pan fry. YUMMY!

O

ocean_brez

I usually either bake or fry Tilapia. When baking, I drizzle EVOO on the bottom of the baking dish, then I sprinkle the fish with dill, garlic salt, paprika, white pepper and whatever else I feel like adding. After that I do another light drizzle of EVOO on top of the fish and then bake it.

As for frying, I am not the greatest at that, so I usually cheat and buy an inexpensive seasoning (my family loves Lousiana Fish Fry products) batter to coat my fish in. From there, I fry the fish in batches for 6-7 minutes each.

Sides-wise, we usually rotate between steamed white rice, red beans & rice or some other type of lazy rice. Good side veggies are either corn, green beans or carrots.

C

cybilx10

Thanks.. I guess Im gonna have to suck it up and cook it. Thanks for all of the ideas, now I dont feel so clueless..

M

Mama Stu

I broil mine with a little butter on it for about six minutes, then put a mixture of Mayo, shredded Parmesean cheese and cut up green onions, spread it on top, pop it back under the broiler until the mixture browns a little. Delicious

everprincess

(\(\ Energizer Bunny - ( =':') She Keeps Going!
Trader Group
I broil mine with a little butter on it for about six minutes, then put a mixture of Mayo, shredded Parmesean cheese and cut up green onions, spread it on top, pop it back under the broiler until the mixture browns a little. Delicious

I made this a long time ago from a recipe I found in Kraft Food & Family mag. It was sooo good. I need to make this again soon.

M

Mama Stu

I made this a long time ago from a recipe I found in Kraft Food & Family mag. It was sooo good. I need to make this again soon.

My sister-in-law gave me the recipe and I couldn't remember where she said she got it from. We just love it.

everprincess

(\(\ Energizer Bunny - ( =':') She Keeps Going!
Trader Group
My sister-in-law gave me the recipe and I couldn't remember where she said she got it from. We just love it.

I've try the same method to potato wedges and they were delicous too. Of course we love condiments period. Ketchup, mustard, mayo and bbq sauce are like liquid gold here. I wish Heinz would put out another ketchup q soon so I don't run out.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Over in the "What's for Dinner Thread" we have a couple of ladies who cook tilapia all the time! So if you are looking for some other methods I'm sure you can ask them. I know XUFAN is one.

Also check out allrecipes.com for ideas.

A couple of years ago I had never even heard of Tilapia - now I hear about it constantly. I'll have to try it.

J

jennsvs

I fry mine with a little olive oil and sprinkle on lemon pepper. I usually serve it with rice and a veggie.

enginerd

Trader Group
I have cooked hundreds, if not thousands, of tilapia (not joking). I would dip the fillets in a mixture of two parts flour to one part cornmeal and deep fry in my fry daddy.

C

cybilx10

Thanks for the links and the other ideas. I am thinking I will try my hand at this on Wednesday. I have an early day at work so I should have time to panic in my kitchen first then cook it and if I ruin it still have time to make something else before its too late.

As you can tell I have no talent in the kitchen so everytime something new comes in, I panic and freak out a bit.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
I eat tilapia at least twice a week...usually more. I make it so many different ways! My husband calls it my "hamburger" since I can do so many things with it.

I've never really fried it, but I don't fry much anyway. Some of the ways I cook it...off the top of my head are:
BAKED:
*Breaded in flour/egg whites/corn flake crumbs.
*Dipped in mayo and breaded in Shake 'n Bake.
*Sprinkled with a little olive oil, and seasoned with whatever seasoning sounds good at the moment.
*Marinated (only for 30 minutes!!!!) with any of the McCormick grill mates.
*I also have a few "go to" recipes that my family loves. One has a chili-type sauce that's pretty hot. Another has a sauce made with mayo and parm cheese that's awesome!!
*Another favorite is to carmelize a bunch of onions, put the tilapia in a baking dish, cover the fish with a can of stewed tomatoes and the onions and bake for about 20 minutes. MMMMM!!!!! Serve it with rice or noodles.

OTHER IDEAS:
You can grill it too! Season it the way you like, and make sure to use a grill basket that's been sprayed REALLY well! There's almost no fat in tilapia, so it sticks if you don't.

When we have spaghetti and meatballs, I bake a few pieces of tilapia, seasoned with garlic and Italian seasoning. I put it on top of my pasta before I put the sauce on (instead of meatballs). This is good with alfredo sauce too.

When we have tacos, I bake a few pieces with Mexican seasonings and use it to fill my soft taco shells.

AS FOR SIDE DISHES:

I eat it with anything...although my husband likes rice when he's eating fish. It's such a mild fish, that it really goes with anything.

***For those of you who don't already know...the reason I do so many things with tilapia is because I'm allergic to meat (beef, pork and poultry). I still cook meat for my family, but I adjust my part of the meal to include fish, so I get my protein.

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
Tonight, I'm making a recipe that I got from the hotel where my son is the food & beverage manager.

Take 2 pieces of tilapia. Put one piece on a baking sheet that's been sprayed with Pam. Coat the top of the piece of fish with spray butter (or regular butter if that's what you have). Top it with blue chees crumbles. Put the other piece of fish on top and coat with spray butter or butter. Sprinkle with seasoned salt or Old Bay. Put in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with shredded coconut. Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the coconut is browned.