Happy Memorial Day!....NOT!

Discussion in 'Telling It Like It Is!' started by vickib50, May 26, 2017.

1. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I have received several emails today from e-retailers, etc. with the subject line "Happy Memorial Day!" EEK! It's a day to remember all those in uniform who have laid down their lives for our country and our freedoms. Happy? Really? It's a somber day! Show some respect.

Help, I need a ladder to get down off my soapbox.

jastwins likes this.
  2. Linda_in_FL

Linda_in_FL Well-Known Member Trader Group

You are right Vicki - Merchants have used everything to capitalize on business. Should we be spending all we spend at Christmas or remembering and honoring the birth of Jesus Christ (I am Jewish but still understand that is what the holiday was meant to be) - On Valentine's Day can we show our love without spending millions of dollars at the jewelry stores, and on fancy lingerie, flowers and candies and other things that girlfriends, Moms and other females will get. Same for Father's Day - Do you know how many commercials I have seen for lawn mowers and power tools (EXPENSIVE ONES) I have seen on my TV the past few days w. Father's Day coming up?

So it goes but the people allow that to happen. We are having a BBQ Pow=wow here where I live - Art and I will stay home. We have an American Flag outside our apt and one on the porch. I will remember those who gave their lives for my freedom without a barbecue and party.

Glad that you brought it up. Hope there are others like us.

Have a good weekend

Linda

3. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Linda, in our family, before I left Chattanooga, we gathered for breakfast on Christmas morning. There were gifts for the children. They were not yet really to an age of understanding to cast away Santa and embrace the true meaning of Christmas. For the adults, it was a time to gather together in love. We had a big bountiful breakfast and just visited. We've always been a close bunch. It would be aunts, uncles, cousins, and cousins out to the 3rd degree sometimes. Sometimes 30-40 of us in and out over the course of 3-4 hours. We also never made a big deal of birthdays after age 6 or 7 and never for all those other Hallmark days. I'm about as sick as you are, Linda, of the unbridled cosumerism. I'm sure there's some dude or dudette in Hallmark headquarters thinking up a new Sunday "holiday" so that we can all run out and buy things to celebrate it!

As for Memorial Day, I'm old enough to remember my dad's best hunting buddy losing his son in Vietnam. The mother was inconsolable. I guess I was a 'tween or young teen. I remember her face still today.

Linda_in_FL and jastwins like this.
  4. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

My town has a small Memorial Day parade and it places flags at any soldiers' grave. However, the purpose of the holiday is short-lived since the influx of summer people ruin it. It is all about who is going to make more money, (gas just went up .20 cents here to $2.79) and I just filled up off island for $2.37 on Monday. Also, I was almost hit by some out of state jerk who passed around 2 cars and was in my lane, on a 2 lane street. The IGA, our only supermarket, was packed today. Our beaches, libraries and ferry will be more crowded and we will all be praying for Labor Day. At least when I go to Croatia for 2 weeks, I will not miss the city people.