• 8 slices French or Italian bread
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preparation:

Make sure bread is cut at least 1/2" thick. Prepare and heat grill. Brush both sides of bread with olive oil. Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl and top bread with this cheese mixture. Place on grill, cover grill, and cook over medium coals for 3-5 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. 8 servings

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
@3timesoccermom - Thanks for bumping this recipe. I've bought an obscene amount of cheese in the last couple weeks (sales have been at Safeway and Albertsons for $1 or LESS for 8 oz.!). I'll mix up the varieties since my stores don't carry shredded Swiss.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I wanted to make it easier to find. If you make it LMK how it is please.

@3timesoccermom - Thanks for bumping this recipe. I've bought an obscene amount of cheese in the last couple weeks (sales have been at Safeway and Albertsons for $1 or LESS for 8 oz.!). I'll mix up the varieties since my stores don't carry shredded Swiss.

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
@3timesoccermom - After thinking about this recipe all day, I made it with dinner with slight variations. In place of the thyme & basil, I used Italian seasoning & basil. I also used two large crusty wheat rolls since I didn't make it to the store for a loaf. I grilled on my grill pan and toasted one side before flipping and adding cheese/herb mix. Next time, I'd add garlic powder. It was so good. We all enjoyed, even DS who dipped his in barbecue sauce. DH said it was a definite make-again recipe.

ETA: I almost forgot the picture!
cheesy grilled bread.JPG

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Looks great!! I could go for one right now. Disregard the questions in the dinner thread - you answered them all right here. I'd skip they thyme too, I don't like it at all.

@3timesoccermom - After thinking about this recipe all day, I made it with dinner with slight variations. In place of the thyme & basil, I used Italian seasoning & basil. I also used two large crusty wheat rolls since I didn't make it to the store for a loaf. I grilled on my grill pan and toasted one side before flipping and adding cheese/herb mix. Next time, I'd add garlic powder. It was so good. We all enjoyed, even DS who dipped his in barbecue sauce. DH said it was a definite make-again recipe.

ETA: I almost forgot the picture!
View attachment 25564