From "What's for Dinner" Viral Thread Gnocchi

C

chitownmelli

This is one of our favorite dishes in our house. I generally make enough for the freezer to last a few months at a time and then not only do I save on time preparing the dough, it's also a fast and easy thing to just toss in some boiling water and have as a quick dinner or in a nice soup.

Tips: you can boil or bake your potatoes to prepare them, I use a ricer to "mash" mine. I normally like my mashed potatoes lumpy, but for this application, I want them perfectly smooth.

Gnocchi (this is a single batch)

2 potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg

• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel potatoes and add to pot. Cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash with a fork or potato masher.
  • Combine mashed potato, flour and egg in a large bowl. Knead until dough forms a ball. Shape small portions of the dough into long "snakes". On a floured surface, cut snakes into half-inch pieces. You may roll them on the tines of a fork for a traditional or decorative look, or leave them as pasta "pillows" they taste great either way.
  • Cook gnocchi in a large pot of salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes until tender. Serve with your favorite sauce or plain.
VIRAL THREAD POST HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

froggie3

We like it here too...my recipe is slightly different:
3lbs potatoes
2 cups flour
1 egg

The rest of the process is basically the same though.

C

chitownmelli

The amount of flour really varies, I find that if I stick with the 2 potatoes that the original recipe calls for, they need to be really big potatoes. Also from day to day, recipe to recipe the amount of flour you need will change depending on moisture and stuff.