Recipes - Question Fresh Ginger - how to keep/store it?

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I bought a thumb-sized piece of ginger a while back and didn't use it. It's been stored at room temperature but it's still not squishy even though there is about a 1/2 inch green sprout on it. I realize it's probably too late to use this piece but when I went to look up how to store fresh ginger there were about 1000 methods!

I had never used/bought fresh before and have no idea what it's even supposed to taste like.

What do you use and/or recommend?

Gardencook

Trader Group
As long as the ginger isn't soft, you should be able to use it, even if it has sprouted. That's what it does naturally in the ground and you can use it freshly dug in the garden.

As far as storing, we use enough of it that I just keep it in the vegetable bin and use it as we need it. I only have some go bad on rare occasions.
You can also peel it and store it in the freezer and grate it as you need it, or use grate it and then freeze it in ice cube trays for future use. If you don't mind the skin, you can even freeze it without peeling it.

As far as the flavor it basically has a spicy, citrus flavor. I LOVE the stuff and can't live without it. Once I started using fresh ginger, I didn't want the dried stuff any longer.
I generally use it anywhere dry ginger is called for in recipes. It adds SO much more flavor and it isn't bitter like dried ginger. Try using it in things like gingerbread or nut breads and you'll really notice a difference.

It is great in stir-fries and soups.

You can also make a nice tea from it. Ginger improves circulation, so it will get your blood flowing on cold winter nights -- something that probably isn't quite as important where you come from than it is up here! :giggle2: I'm actually drinking a cup of ginger lemon tea as I write this -- but we're going to get close to zero outside tonight.

It is really great for nausea, as well. If you've got an upset stomach or get motion sickness it is really helpful.

You can also simmer it in simple syrup and add a tablespoon or two to carbonated water for a refreshing drink.

I always throw a chunk in with the veggies when I juice them or add it to smoothies in the blender.

crossstreet

Trader Group
I freeze my ginger. I wrap it in plastic wrap and place in a plastic Baggie. When I want some I peel it to about where I think I'll use it then grate it frozen. I put the rest back in the freezer.

I like fresh ginger in Pioneer Woman's Beef with Pea Pods, a chicken with scallion recipe and homemade fried rice.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Aside from that first piece I bought (and didn't end up using :sad3:) I've not had the guts to buy it again. I still want to try it though!

I freeze my ginger. I wrap it in plastic wrap and place in a plastic Baggie. When I want some I peel it to about where I think I'll use it then grate it frozen. I put the rest back in the freezer.

I like fresh ginger in Pioneer Woman's Beef with Pea Pods, a chicken with scallion recipe and homemade fried rice.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
I freeze my ginger too and have not had any problems. It is best fresh, of course, but I hate to waste it.