Fresh Fruit Pie

F

flash

Glazed Fresh Fruit Pie

6 c fresh fruit (sliced, peaches, strawberries, pears, blueberries, anything)
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. fruit juice (orange, white grape, nectar...)
2 tbsp lemon juice (omit for berry type pies - raspberry, blackberry)
9" baked pie shell

Mash enough fruit to make one cup. Blend sugar and cornstarch in sauce pan. Stir in fruit juice and mashed fruit. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for one minue. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and food color. Cool. Pour half of the glaze into pie shell. Fill shell with fruit, leaving enough room for the other half of glaze. Pour remaining glaze over fruit. Chill pie in refrigerator at least three hours.

(professionals do this with little tarts, etc.; their trick is to add just a touch of food color into the glaze, red for strawberry, etc. Can also do the blueberry/kiwi/strawberry/peach tartlets, same recipe )

F

flash

Re: Things to do with all that fresh fruit

Make your own fruit leathers, or roll ups, or whatever they call them these days ops:

Wash fruit which is fully ripe. Cut away blemishes, add sugar of desired. Place in blender or processor and puree.

Heat to 180 degress if desired; may also be strained for a very smooth product.

Place plastic wrap on cookie sheets and pour pureed fruit on it. Place in sun to dry (or use 140 - 150 F oven, leaving door slightly ajar.). Takes 20 - 24 hours to sun-dry, can be finished in oven using above technique.

When sufficiently dry, a whole sheet can be pulled off the plastic with no puree adhereing.

To store, roll up fruit leathers together with plastic wrap and place in plastic bags. May be frozen

F

flash

Also baked strawberry pie, strawberry cheesecake, frozen strawberry square dessert, strawberry jam (you can freeze it, you don't have to can it).

C

cutenirish

trying roll ups with raspberries I'll let ya know how they turn out :)

S

sciteacher

Great fruit roll up recipe...

P

puakinikini

I make fruit kabobs for my kids. Cut up the fruit, stick it on a stick, and voila, they eat it. I sometimes make a dip of pureed berries mixed with cool whip and then they really gobble the fruit down.