1 cup whole wheat flour
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 TBS Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Shortening
1/3 cup cold Butter (cut into cubes)
1 cup Buttermilk

Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter using a pastry cutter or 2 knives until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in Buttermilk until the mixture resembles a soft dough and leaves the sides of the bowl. Dump out on a lightly floured surface and knead 8 times(work as little as possible or you will get tough biscuits). Pat the dough out into an 8 inch square. Cut the dough into 16 (2 inch) squares.

At this point you can freeze or bake.

If baking without freezing... Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the biscuits 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

If freezing....

Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment or plastic wrap, cover and freeze for approximately 3 hrs(or until firm). Remove from the baking sheet and place in an airtight freezer container or bag. Store in the freezer for up to a month.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place frozen biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I made a double batch today and put them in the freezer. We will be having some for dinner tonight(that I will cook from froze) and I will report back tomorrow with how they work out. This recipe is one I altered to my own liking, so we shall see how it works.

F

froggie3

I baked up 12 of them last night and they were really good. They rose nicely in the oven and were flaky and tender. This recipe will be a permanent addition to my OAMC regime.

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
Did you use real buttermilk or use vinegar or something in your milk?

Who can not love biscuits?? So delicious but so not good for us although the whole wheat flour helps. :sad3: You might also try adding some wheat germ to them.

F

froggie3

I used real buttermilk(well the cultured buttermilk from the store).

The acid in the buttermilk helps with the breaking down of the wheat into a means our body can use. Letting them sit a bit would allow it to breakdown more, but it still aids in your body absorbing the good nutrients...and animal fat(butter) is better for you than even the shortening...but that is a whole other topic for a whole other thread.

3timesoccermom

Yes, I've read recently that butter is not as bad for you as people preached for so long. We still used it even before that. Hubs was raised on it so that's all he'll eat and he can tell immediately if you use a substitute. I was raised on "oleo."

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
Sounds good! We are butter eaters too. I don't do margarine. I figure butter is natural - has to be better for you. Everything in moderation.

Funny I haven't heard Oleo used since my grandma. That is what she called margarine it and I always thought it was funny.

3timesoccermom

Well that's it then, I've given away the fact that I'm no spring chicken. :wink7:

I think the full name was oleomargarine. My mom used to put a stack of white bread on the table with dinner and we'd put oleo on it and it helped fill us all up.

Sounds good! We are butter eaters too. I don't do margarine. I figure butter is natural - has to be better for you. Everything in moderation.

Funny I haven't heard Oleo used since my grandma. That is what she called margarine it and I always thought it was funny.

C

clippyclippy

Just google "dairy fats research" and you will see very interesting, unexpected results. That is, unless you already know the benefits of dairy fats ...:biggrin:

Poor dairy fats have been just another victim of the rush to conclusions when it comes to our modern diet.

I'll try the biscuits today. They look yummy.

About the buttermilk, I accidently bought the lowfat kind the other day, and when I made pancakes Sunday night and used it, it seemed really thin and I don't think the results were as good as when I use the regular buttermilk.
Anyone think there would be a difference?

C

chitownmelli

clippy, I have heard that full fat buttermilk is really best for biscuit making. I think they would still turn out fine, but the taste might be a little different.

C

clippyclippy

clippy, I have heard that full fat buttermilk is really best for biscuit making. I think they would still turn out fine, but the taste might be a little different.

Thanks! Now I need to figure out what to do with that skinny mess...

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
Renee you are not old...I just remember my grandma calling it that. She moved out to CA when she retired to live near us from IL. I had just never heard it called that till she moved out there. I thought it was a brand from the midwest.

3timesoccermom

clippy - use them for dessert crepes if you've alread cooked them. If you still have batter and it's still thin (here I go again) if you add a hefty portion of wheat germ (or flax seed) that would thicken it up. I always put wheat germ in our pancake batter.

C

clippyclippy

clippy - use them for dessert crepes if you've alread cooked them. If you still have batter and it's still thin (here I go again) if you add a hefty portion of wheat germ (or flax seed) that would thicken it up. I always put wheat germ in our pancake batter.
Well we did eat the pancakes, what I have is the rest of the fat-free buttermilk.
Maybe crepes for lunch :smile:

F

froggie3

Clippy: It may actually be fine. The recipe I started with(and changed) said to even do the "soured milk" to make them.

Gardencook

Trader Group
If you are concerned about the butter in biscuits, you can substitute part or all of the butter for olive oil. I've used toasted sesame oil and that is really tasty, as well. (Especially if you add some toasted sesame seeds to the mix.) If you use all olive oil, it does change the texture, but we've gotten used to it and they still turn out flaky when I use a food processor. (I've gotten REALLY lazy! :giggle2:)