Entertainment Free Concerts and Performances During COVID-19

Discussion in 'Everyday Living & Entertainment' started by Gardencook, May 10, 2020.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

During the pandemic many entertainers have been stepping up and offering free entertainment for those staying home.

Some of these are only available for 24, 48 or 72 hours as special events. Many are streaming from the UK, so they expire in the various U.S. time zones. The UK ones usually start Friday afternoon.

Feel free to chime in with any additional events you may know about!

Upcoming Live Performances
    United States Air Force Band
    May 24 The National Memorial Day Concert will stream on Facebook as well as PBS Sun 8 PM EDT · Online Event
    Aug 21 Christopher Tin: To Shiver The Sky (World Premiere) Fri 8 PM EDT · The Anthem · Washington D.C.

Remembering America’s Heroes: Thank You to Our Greatest Generation, May 24, 1 p.m. EST

Musical Theater, Operetta and Opera
    The Metropolitan Opera is doing nightly Facebook livestreams with subtitles available each day from 7:30 p.m. EDT until 6:30 p.m. EDT the next day :
    NEW! Tonight's performance is: Un Ballo in Maschera

Each week Broadway HD releases a Broadway musical for a limited number of hours over the weekend. If you watch Great Performances on PBS, some of these have shown there previously and many are available for streaming if you have PBS Passport.
    This week's musical is: Pipeline

The Shows Must Go On
    . Since these are on UK time, they disappear Sunday morning or early afternoon U.S. Time zones. This week: Hairspray

Stay At Home With Les Misérables | Les Misérables Staged Concert Talk | SceneScreen -- The Staged Concert was aired in the UK, but unfortunately all we have is a behind-the-scenes look. Still very interesting if you are a Les Mis fan. They do have 10th and 25th anniversary concerts on Youtube, but not newly released in the past few weeks.

Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration

NEW! Bets Malone: Broadway the BROAD Way

NEW! Jane Eyre by Blackeyed Theatre – Full Play

It Is Easy To Be Dead - Olivier Award nominated full play -- London Theatre, Musical focuses on the life of one of three poets of importance killed during WWI

Each weekend the Royal Opera House/The Royal Ballet releases one of its performances for the weekend only. Again, this is UK time and I'm not sure when it expires, but I believe it is sometime early Sunday, as well. This week it is the Royal Opera House performance of: To Be Announced

NEW! Anastasia -- The Royal Ballet Performance of Anastasia

The Royal Ballet Performance of Cendrillon (Cinderella) will be May 22

THE PEARLS OF CLEOPATRA StrausKomische Oper Berlin

50 year anniversary Gala Dutch National Opera (full)

Don Carlo (FULL) - Dutch National Opera

DIE ENTFÜHRUNG AUS DEM SERAIL Mozart – Glyndebourne

Cirque du Soleil

NEW! 60-MINUTE SPECIAL #7 | Cirque du Soleil | Crystal, Axel
    60-MINUTE SPECIAL #6 | Cirque du Soleil | One Night for One Drop
    60-MINUTE SPECIAL #5 | Cirque du Soleil | SINGALONG Alegría, LUZIA, Mystère and more...
    60-MINUTE SPECIAL #4 | Cirque du Soleil | Zed

60-MINUTE SPECIAL #3 | Cirque du Soleil | Alegría, Kooza, KÀ
    60-MINUTE SPECIAL #2 | Cirque du Soleil | Amaluna, Bazzar, Volta
    60-MINUTE SPECIAL #1 | Cirque du Soleil | KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities, ‘’O’’ and LUZIA

TORUK - AVATAR - CIRQUE DU SOLEIL - LIVE AT THE O2 ARENA LONDON
    BEHIND THE CURTAIN OF LUZIA | Cirque du Soleil

Children's Theater

NEW! The Lost Thing from the Royal Opera and Candoco Dance Company

Dance
    The Winter's Tale in full from The Royal Ballet #OurHouseToYourHouse #StayAtHome

SF Ballet in Helgi Tomasson's Romeo & Juliet

Romeo and Juliet -- The Marinsky Theatre

Raymonda -- The Marinsky Theatre

SWAN LAKE Tchaikovsky – Teatro Municipal de Santiago

Swan lake 2018, Liam scarlett

Classical Music Concerts

AAM & VOCES8 | Handel: Messiah | Barnaby Smith, VOCES8, Apollo5 and VOCES8 Foundation Choir
    NEW! Gramophone Classical Music Awards Winners Charity Lockdown Gala
    NEW!
    BSO at Home Presents: Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5

Concert for Our City: Now Streaming for All. Recorded Live at Symphony Hall on February 16, 2020
    NEW! Yo-Yo Ma Plays Dvořák
    National Centre for the Performing Arts – Apparently changes weekly (China)
    Beethoven Pastoral Concert this week

Miscellaneous Concerts

NEW! Anna and Elizabeth | Watch A Concert A Day -- Americana/Folk/Appalachian music

Celebrity Concerts
    Katherine Jenkins Weekly Facebook Live Concerts
    (Held Saturday night in UK, the afternoon in the U.S., but you can scroll down her Facebook page to see them all)
    May 16 Concert -- Diva Week
    May 8 Concert -- VE 40s Tunes

May 22 Concert -- Classical Pop!
    April 25 Concert -- Night at the Opera
    April 18 Concert -- Musical Theatre
    April 11 Concert
    April 4 Concert
    March 28 Concert

Celebrity Fundraiser Concerts
    MUSICAL MARATHON

LEA SALONGA | Facebook Live concert to raise funds

John Legend - #TogetherAtHome Concert Series

Benefit for the New Jersey Pandemic Relief Fund

Sing Hope -- Spiritual Concert for Covid-19

Together at Home with Rod & Ruby Stewart

Kelly Rowland, Usher, Diddy & More Unite At The 'Saving Our Selves: BET COVID-19 Relief Effort' Show

#TogetherAtHome Chris Martin

Genesis - The Way We Walk

HAUSER: 'Alone, Together' from Arena Pula

Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert

Victory in Europe Day Celebrations/Big Band/1940s
    VE Day 75th Anniversary Concert with Katherine Jenkins

Victory In Europe Concert! United States Army Field Band
    Haven't watched it yet, but this appears to be oldies tunes from the war years

Victory in Europe Day Concert – U.S. Army Blues Little Big Band
    This concert is Big Band Music

Songs That Inspired the Greatest Generation -- Honoring those who fought and sacrificed to bring about the conclusion

Military Concerts
    These contain a WIDE variety of music including pop, rock, jazz, golden oldies, country, classical, marches ... and the U.S. Military is churning them out at an unbelievable pace!

On May 24, at 7 p.m. (EDT) on PBS' MPT the "A Glenn Miller Swing Celebration" National Capital Emmy nominated broadcast featuring the Airmen of Note, Singing Sergeants, Veronica Swift, and freedom dancers will re-air. As we head into Memorial Day weekend let's pause to recognize the 75th anniversary of the passing of Major Glenn Miller. A brilliant performer and a true American patriot whose music still resonates with audiences.
    Unless it is what they are running as the regular Memorial Day Concert, it doesn't look like our station will have it.

Military Patriotic Concerts
    NEW! Innovation, Endurance: The Military Percussion Tradition - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

March Kings - High Stepping Music to Keep You Moving -- United States Army Field Band

Strengthening Allies at the Norwegian Military Tattoo

The President's Own United State Marine Band – Weekly Concerts
    This week the Friday Evening Parade from May 4, 2018 was highlighted:
    May 13th Stream will be: Japan Tour Concert – Hamamatsu Wed 1 PM EDT · Online Event
    May 20th Stream will be: "Presidential Playlist" Wed 1 PM EDT · Online Event
    May 22th Stream will be: "Summer Blast Off!" (Rebroadcast) Fri 1 PM EDT · Online Event

Military Classical Music Concerts
    Brahms and Beethoven: Music for Spring – The U.S. Army Band

The U.S. Army Concert Band at Schlesinger Hall

April Showers Bring May Flowers: Springtime with flute and harp

The U.S. Army Band Saxophone Quartet - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

Military Country/Blues/Jazz/Soul Concerts
    NEW! Battle Buddies: Duets with the Jazz Ambassadors

NEW!
    Jazz Combo: A Tribute to Louis Armstrong

Music that Unites - We Stand Ready - Six-String Soldiers

G.I. Jazz: The Jazz Ambassadors' Jazztet plays music by Soldiers, past and present

The U.S. Army Blues Swamp Romp perform a Salute to New Orleans

Harmonies of Hope -- We Stand Ready

The U.S. Army Band’s bluegrass ensemble, Country Roads - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

We Stand Ready: Service member Songwriters; Six-String Soldiers Perform Music of Veterans

Sunday Brunch with the Jazz Ambassadors

Tribute Concerts
    NEW! Heritage of Service: Tribute to Family Members Who Served

From Rosie to the Rangers: A Tribute to Women in Service

The Falling and The Rising: A Musical Drama telling the real Stories of Soldiers

NEW! Thank You, Mom: A Mothers Day Special

Dawn of Peace: Choral favorites with the men's ensemble featuring Tim Takach

The U.S. Army Brass Quintet performs “Inspired!" - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us -- tribute to "The Soldier"

NEW! Let Freedom Sing! - Soldiers' Chorus Spotlight -- Traditional Spirituals

Popular Music Concerts
    NEW! Joint Service Jam Sessions: Music from all five services

NEW! Super Mario Bros: Music in 8 Bits

NEW! Musical Passport: A Journey Through Time and Space

Six-String Soldiers: Radio Hits

Rising Above - The Army Changed My Life

Fun With Family Bands: Making Music at Home

Mix Tape Monday! featuring Straight No Chaser

HooahCappella: Service to Country and Community

The U.S. Army Strolling Strings - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us -- instrumental

The U.S. Army Chorus performs “We Come Together" - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

The U.S. Army Band Downrange Unplugged - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

A Tribute to Bill Withers - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

The U.S. Army Band Downrange performs a medley of hits by @Queen Official

United States Navy Band Watch Party – Weekly – Pop/Rock Music
    This week's watch party as well as previous weeks' are archived.
    May 9th Watch
    May 2nd Watch

Military Theater/Show Tunes Concerts
    NEW! Soldiers' Cabaret: Bringing Broadway Hits to Life

May the Fourth Be With You -- United We Stand

The U.S. Army Voices - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us -- Broadway and Beyond

You'll Never Walk Alone: Uplifting Songs from Broadway

The U.S. Army Band Downrange Unplugged: Dynamic Duos - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

Vocal Fireworks - Opera Arias You Didn't Know You Knew

Bones on the Ground: Operapalooza - United We Stand | Music to Connect Us

Film Premieres
    The Need to Grow – Worldwide Premier – Environmental Movie

Not specific to Covid-19, but there are a number of FREE movie sites that offer movies, documentaries and old television series providing a lot of free entertainment.

Youtube FREE Movies

Tubi TV
    Crackle
    Popcornflix

Top Documentary Films
    Vudu
    -- Owned by Walmart. You must provide a payment method to sign-up, but you can use a Walmart gift card with only a small amount of cash on it so little risk involved.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Sherri1480, jastwins and mtka like this.
  2. mtka

mtka Well-Known Member Trader Group

We enjoyed The King and I for the most part last night. I definitely enjoyed the price!

jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  3. Gardencook

We enjoyed it when it first showed on PBS last year. It was on Great Performances along with 42nd Street which we also enjoyed.

You get PBS Passport when you donate to your local PBS station. It is basically a library of hundreds/thousands of past PBS programs you can watch on demand. That is the one and only channel we "pay" for on Roku every year.

We can watch The King and I through most of 2021, so it got pushed aside for other programs. We do want to go back and see it again soon.

4. Gardencook

UPDATED!

Finally waded through the list to create categories for a little more organization. Rather than a long list of concert titles, you can now scan for your favorite type of entertainment or music genre.

I've added NEW! to the items added most recently.

I also added some movie channels offering a lot of free entertainment at the end of the list.

I finally figured out I hadn't "Liked" The Met so wasn't getting notifications on the daily livestreams it is is doing. Today's performance is "Massenet’s Werther."

Another new addition today. "The Lost Thing" is a musical rendition of the children's book by Shaun Tan -- a dystopian tale about belonging which was made into an Academy Award winning animated short film. If you are interested in the animated film, you can find it on Youtube here: The Lost Thing.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    jastwins and Linda_in_FL like this.
  5. mtka

It's 'Cats' this week on The Shows Must Go On. Pretty campy, but much better than the atrocious movie version. I know I will humming some show tunes over the weekend.

jastwins, Linda_in_FL and Gardencook like this.
  6. Gardencook

I've never actually seen "CATS." It is kind of one of those shows I know I like the music to better than I'd like the play.

My Mom actually saw it on Broadway and didn't like it -- AT ALL, so maybe that prejudiced me.

She went on a tour with part of its time in New York. It included a Broadway show, an off-Broadway show and sitting in the audience for the taping of a television program -- but they didn't know in advance what they were getting.

I know she didn't like either of the plays and then she ended up sitting in the audience for Geraldo -- one of her least favorite television personalities. We did get to see a second or two of her sitting in the audience when it aired, however. :p

jastwins and Linda_in_FL like this.
  7. Gardencook

Another update. I've added a section at the top of the list for upcoming live concerts. That way those who would like to tune in during the live performances instead of after will know about them in advance.

I'm continuing to add the NEW! label to any new concerts each day. I'll probably keep those on for a week or so, before removing them so the latest will stand out.

In the way of reviews, we tried to watch the "Soldiers' Cabaret: Bringing Broadway Hits to Life" last night after it was posted. I might advise skipping that one. Since the military is churning out new concerts each day, they must have been running out of new ideas.

We ended up turning that one off, even though we've enjoyed most of the earlier concerts we watched. Think the earlier show tunes concerts might be a safer bet if you are a traditionalist. :p

jastwins likes this.
  8. mtka

Thanks @Gardencook for your hard work. We will be watching "Cats" tonight. It is one of those that the music is better than the production. I did see it live a long time ago and had fun. It kinda makes me sad though, as it was something my sister and I did and she is no longer with us.

I wish we could put together another list of free items. Did you know we have an National Emergency Library? I have been using it to borrow books to put on the kindle. It's a little work to get them on there, but they have a great selection of older books that the regular libraries don't. Also if you have a library card, chances are that you have free access to ancestry and magazines from home right now. Usually you have to be in the library for free access.

The game makers are also giving free games for the time being. Big Fish Games has several games for free download (I really like quite a few) and Epic Games are giving out new ones each 2 weeks. Hum, maybe I should just start a new thread. Maybe later.

9. Gardencook

Updated!
    Links to the limited time weekend performances are listed including CATS, Pipeline and Verdi's Rigoletto. There is also a musical version of Jane Eyre that was recently posted. The London Theatre posted a musical called "It is Easy to Be Dead" about the life of Charles Sorley, a poet killed in WWI. (It looks like it could be better than its title. :rolleyes:)

Also learned that Cirque du Soleil has been posting weekly 60-minute specials, so those are added to the list.

The Academy of Ancient Music released a Handel's Messiah video about a month ago.

Of course, there are many more military concerts.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    jastwins likes this.
  10. mtka

@Gardencook did you get to see Cats? We got around to it last night. Definitely don't remember some parts. It still makes me sad, but at least the camera people weren't too jerky. The stamina that those actors/dancers have is amazing.

11. Gardencook

Yes, I watched it just so I could say I had seen it. However, it definitely wasn't my musical. Guess it was okay, but I was rather bored throughout. If I enjoy a musical I can watch it over and over again, but I think once will be enough for CATS. lol!

I'll go back to old favorites like Singin' in the Rain, Brigadoon, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Les Miserables' for repeat performances. Although, we usually get the edited for school edition of Les Mis and even then we'd prefer they'd allow a bit more editing. And I suppose Gilbert & Sullivan is too "old fashioned" for another revival, but I'd be the first to buy a ticket.

Someone posted a video on Youtube claiming Andrew Lloyd Webber had announced CATS would be the last video released in his "The Shows Must Go On" series. Supposedly, he did it in his CATS video where he provided commentary.

However, I haven't been able to confirm that with any sort of a news report and someone in the comments claimed Andrew Lloyd Webber had a written comment saying, "See you next week." So that person believed the report CATS was the last was a hoax. Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

There was supposed to be an Australia Live performance running all weekend (Australia time), however, when I tried to tune in Americans from various states were seeing no feed whatsoever. Neither was I. So either countries outside of Australia were blocked, they were having technical difficulties and couldn't get it running or as some people concluded it was a total hoax. Who knows on that one either.

Still not sure why anyone would get their jollies from going to all the work of posting a fake "event" or a fake "report," but this seems to be the world in which we live. :rolleyes:

jastwins likes this.
  12. Gardencook

Update!

This weekend's performance on "The Shows Must Go On" will be Rodgers & Hammerstein's The Sound of Music with Carrie Underwood.

The National Memorial Day Concert will also stream on PBS as well as Facebook.

jastwins likes this.
  13. mtka

The sound of music is supposed to be performed live, in like 30 minutes. I can't find anything further on it though. I saw the NBC live version, wasn't that impressed.

14. mtka

Ok, it is the replay of the NBC live version, but it's blocked in the US. I turned on my VPN and set it to London, and then was able to see it listed.

15. Gardencook

We felt the same way about the Carrie Underwood version when we saw it. We weren't terribly impressed, but then who can compete with Julie Andrews?

If you've got your VPN set for London, that may be what you need to catch the live performance of Holiday Inn tomorrow. Didn't realize they were only allowing the UK to watch performances now. Perhaps after Andrew Lloyd Webber said "Good-bye" after CATS last week? Seemed like some sort of confusion there. There is a link to the Facebook site above, but you'll probably have to scroll down if you want to view Holiday Inn.

I didn't post an update on it when I added that performance yesterday, because I thought my computer would be acting better today -- No such luck! How can Microsoft possibly need to do six or seven updates EACH and EVERY day? They shut down my computer for virtually every one of them -- not to mention the two or three scans they do each day to figure out they want to download another update. They shut my computer down for those, as well!!! :mad:

jastwins likes this.
  16. Gardencook

I've gotten way behind on posting thanks to CONSTANT updates from Microsoft that leave my computer in bad shape many days.

However, this weekend's "The Shows Must Go On" will be "Hairspray."

jastwins likes this.
  17. mtka

The Shows Must Go On was supposed to re-air the live version of Peter Pan but decided not too. No big loss. IMHO this performance was awful.

Gardencook likes this.