Ebay - bought a vehicle through them?

Discussion in 'Hot Entrepreneurs: Build Wealth & Share Links' started by 3timesoccermom, Jul 12, 2014.

1. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

I've heard some good things about buying used vehicles through Ebay. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, to share with me? I'm considering it so tips and advice and warnings would be greatly appreciated.

I probably wouldn't even consider a dealer with less than 100% FB or without a Car Fax.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. 3timesoccermom

Re: ~ Ebay - bought a vehicle through them?

:beg2:

[MENTION=118320]Spanelli8706[/MENTION]

3. judy27

judy27 Well-Known Member Trader Group

I never have, but my BFF's son bought a muscle car through ebay. He had no issues with it and everything went smoothly.

Good luck!!!!

3timesoccermom likes this.
  4. shelleyf

shelleyf Member of the Month March 2009 Trader Group

My stepbrother buys vehicles on ebay sometimes. He got burnt bad the last time so I don't know if he is going to do that again. The other times it went great he said. Carfax are not good things to go by I have learned. They only show what was reported so if the vehicle has issues it probably wouldn't be reported which is wrong but that is what I have learned. That is why so many dealers are promoting "let me show you the carfax!" knowing it will not show any problems since they won't report it. It does show work that was done so that part is helpful but as for the problems it is not dependable. It is just a tool to show work done that is all. That isn't how it is supposed to be but this world is crooked. Ebay is a joke and crooked too. Amazon is great but I don't know if they sell vehicles or not.

5. 3timesoccermom

It's true the car fax won't show everything but if you have nothing to go on sometimes it can have something on it that makes it or breaks it for you. So it's certainly better than nothing.

Ebay is only as crooked as the sellers/buyers that use it, which is not everyone. I know people who would swear they are honest but they have no problem cheating or taking advantage of a faceless corporation.

Smee likes this.
  6. couponsmakecents

couponsmakecents Mod Of The Month June 2008 - Achieving Remission. Trader Group

Bought two times no issues.

7. Smee

Smee Member Of The Month Aug. 2011 - The Smurple Smeep Trader Group

Indeed.

8. 3timesoccermom

Could you give me any details, tips or suggestions? I'd owe you one!

9. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month 6/12 - Queen Of Circle Driving Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

We have sold a car and several 4 wheelers and dirtbikes.
    We have bought a rather large 4 wheeler with a winch & a plow, husband drove to Maryland to pick it up.
    All of our experiences have been very positive.
    As a buyer it is VERY important to checkout your seller.
    How many items have they sold?
    What do people say in their feedback?
    You should definitely communicate with the seller to get a "sense" of how you feel about them.
    When we sold the car (I MISS that car SO much! :sad3:) we were supposed to get 1/2 down when they won & 1/2 down when we transferred the title.
    She sent the whole amount when she won.
    I called her to tell her about it.
    She said, "Honey, I talked to you and your husband. Never ONCE did a hair stand up on the back of my neck. I know you are legit."
    I don't recommend THAT...but your intuition says a LOT.

10. 3timesoccermom

Even if the seller is a dealer? I'd prefer not to go through one but there wasn't even 1 listing from an individual for the vehicle I'm looking for.

11. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Member of the Month 6/12 - Queen Of Circle Driving Staff Member Moderator Trader Group

I don't know.
    We always buy through private owners whenever possible.
    In real life or on the internet.

12. Spanelli8706

Spanelli8706 New Member Trader Group

I have purchased 4 cars in my lifetime (not all for me personally). One through a used car dealer in person, 2 through private sellers found on Autotrader, and one on Ebay. I wouldn't say that any one of the processes was better/easier than the other.

My current car, a Nissan Pathfinder, was purchased through Ebay in 2008. I spent about 3 months looking for it and ended up buying from a used car dealer in Miami. I spent a good deal of time emailing & chatting with the seller. Like GIG's said, I got a good feel for his personality. I requested specific pics that weren't listed, as well as an extra remote & key (only one was listed in the add) to see how willing he was to cooperate. He ordered & paid for a $200 new remote & key, free of charge to me. I got the Carfax, vin number, other docs (for free, of course!!). I always do my homework and know my stuff/specs when asking questions. It's a good thing when the seller is able to keep up and seems as knowledgeable as he should be without lots of pauses and "let me check on that" type responses. I make sure to keep everything, all conversations, documented and get as much in writing as possible (like email, texts and/or faxes). We also agreed that we would conduct the financial aspect in person, not online. So he agreed to remove the listing after I secured a cashier's check and showed proof (I think we faxed the stub...?) I didn't want to wire that much money around or rely on 3rd party sites like Paypal.

There can be some really good deals out there. My car was 3 yrs old when purchased. It had a little less than 40k miles on it and is totally loaded (leather, GPS, DVD system, 3rd row, AWD, tow package, roof rack, etc). Brand new retail was $45k. The car was listed for $21,000, somewhere near KBB value. I negotiated to $16,500, including title transfer. We flew to Miami on cheap tix and the seller picked us up at the airport and was just as nice and personable as he had been the past few weeks. We drove it to my family's home for a visit in FL before driving back home...made a mini-vacation out of it. Traveling for pick-up was not a big deal for us and opened up a lot more possibilities and options.

However, there are some big time scammers out there! I've known a couple of people who have been promised one thing only to learn the truth is something different (condition, mileage, etc). And I've read horror stories including burglaries, murders, etc.

I can say it worked out great for us. My car is 9 yrs old, we have had it for 6. We've only had to do minor maintenance on it like brake pads & tires (knocking on wood here!!). Normal wear & tear type stuff. It has about 115k miles on it now and still runs & looks great.

Would I do it again...? I'm not too sure. I quit using ebay & paypal & craigslist, etc. The rate of cyber crime has skyrocketed. I might still look on ebay, but maybe not conduct the sale on ebay. I'm still willing to travel for a vehicle... I just don't know that I would make such a large purchase online.

13. 3timesoccermom

Thanks so much Elizabeth. Very helpful - I'm sure to others as well.

14. jaytheking2530

jaytheking2530 New Member

eBay is a great place for buying stuff except when the delivery is from China. However, you should not have a problem with buying a car since when you pay, you only pay the initial deposit and then go see the car before deciding to buy it. Also avoid descriptions that have "car is as seen" which means if the engine has a problem, you can't see it and they won't be responsible for that.