Easy Pot Pie Recipes

D

Doglover8180

Does anyone have a good and fairly easy home made pot pie recipe?

A

angeliainwonderland

YES! You need :
Cut up chicken, bite size pieces (breast prop best but any will work)
Canned or frozen mixed veggies
chicken broth, boulion or chicken gravy
Biscuit mix (cheap add water type)
salt, pepper, poultry seasoning

The amounts you need of each will depend on size of family you are cooking for.

Cook chicken pieces. Put mixed veggies, seasonings, broth (or other I prefer dry gravy mix,gives more flavor) chicken and some water, just enough to cover, in a pan. Heat on stovetop.
While thats heating, mix and roll out biscuit mix.
I use a cake pan to cook in.
Spray pan, put chicken veg mix in pan. Put biscuit on top! cook until biscuit top is done.
This is how I do it. Some people use canned biscuits cut in half and placed on top of mixture.
Does this make sense to you? Seems like I kinda ramble.
Anyway if you have questions just PM me. I would be happy to help! I cook for meals on wheels every day. We do pot pie bout every 6 to 8 weeks.

Cook

A

aimeebee

After I cook the chicken, I make a gravy from what's left in the pan and pour that over the mixed veggies. Sometimes, I use cream of chicken soup instead of gravy. I like to make it in a casserole dish and use crescent rolls for the crust. When you take them out of the cannister they are the exact right size and fit percectly over ther the casserole dish.

C

clippyclippy

Cut up cooked chicken
bag of frozen mixed veggies
2 c chicken broth and/or milk
maybe some bullion
2 T butter
2-3 T flour
salt and pepper
prepared pie crust

I just make a white sauce (you could use cream of chicken soup):
melt butter in a pan
add flour (about 2 T) cook till bubbly
add a either milk or chicken broth, or a mix of both and maybe some bullion for more flavor
Heat till it thickens.

Place the chicken, mixed veggies, and white sauce in a 9" deep dish pie pan.
Cover with the pie crust
Bake till crust is slightly golden, about 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

C

cintinative

If you are looking for something that actually uses pie crust (rather than a casserole type with the biscuit top), PM me. I have a recipe I use from All recipes that I modified slightly to make it easier (precooked the chicken and use frozen peas and carrots). It's really good. However, you need to eat it after it is cooked. It doesn't reheat well. So it's not necessarily a good meal to bring to someone who had a baby, etc. I use the Pillsbury pie crusts b/c I got them for cheap (50 cents/box) with coupons and it's makes it much easier for me.

I

isis

I've been using this recipe for years and dh can eat the entire thing in one sitting if I don't monitor him!!

I use refrigerated pie crust or if I buy frozen, I let it thaw out first til it gets to room temp, makes it easier to work with. And I use both pie crust, dh loves pastry crust, so I use it to line the bottom of the dish and on top. Not good for those who watch carbs, but I only make it a few times a years, so I allow the splurge!!

You'll need:
EVOO
1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken (I prefer to use breast meat), cut into 1 inch chunks
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 carrots, cut lenghtwise in half, and sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed (sometimes I'll just use canned green beans)
1 Envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Savory Herb w/Garlic
1 C Milk
Pie Crust
(optional, add in a cup of chopped mushrooms)

Preheat oven to 400*F.
Blend milk & packet of savory herb mix in a large measuring cup or bowl. In a large skillet, heat EVOO and cook chicken, about 8 minutes or so. Its OK if they're not cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and let drain in collendar of any excess juices. In same skillet, add onion, celery & carrots. Cook another 8 minutes. Then add green beans (and mushrooms) along with milk & herb mixture. Add chicken back to skillet and mix everything together.

I do not use a pie plate for my pot pie, but a medium sized corning ware square dish. I spray it with cooking spray, then line the bottom with 1 one of the pie crusts. Then add the chicken mixture and top with 2nd pie crust. Pierce top with a fork a few times.
Bake for 25 minutes, until pie crust is nice & golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 4.

O

OneHotMomma

I just use a premade pie crust, 1 canned cream of chicken soup, one can cream of potato soup, 1-2 potatoes (cubed, cooked), frozen veggies, and grilled chicken strips (chopped). Easy peasy, assembled and in the oven in 10-15 minutes.

D

Doglover8180

apennysaved.... have you tried that recipe you posted? Just wondering if it's any good?

C

cintinative

Here's my recipe. I remembered I had typed it up so I am copying and pasting.

Chicken Pot Pie (All Recipes.com, modified recipe)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas black pepper
1/4 teas celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teas garlic salt

2-9 inch unbaked pie crusts (I used Pillsbury roll and bake)
Preheat oven to 425F
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook celery and onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, celery seed, and garlic salt. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Place the chicken, peas and carrots in the bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8

P

PopCulture

Here's my recipe. I remembered I had typed it up so I am copying and pasting.

Chicken Pot Pie (All Recipes.com, modified recipe)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas black pepper
1/4 teas celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teas garlic salt

2-9 inch unbaked pie crusts (I used Pillsbury roll and bake)
Preheat oven to 425F
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook celery and onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, celery seed, and garlic salt. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Place the chicken, peas and carrots in the bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8

Nice. I'm gonna have to try this one.

G

GJohnson39

Popculture's recipe is very similar to mine. Occasionally I will add a few ounces of cheddar cheese to the bechamel sauce to add another flavor dimension. It is a perennial favorite in our house.

M

mom25grls

My mother in law used to make this and it is CHEAP and the kids and DH love it!!!

1 can tomato soup
1 lb hamburger (browned & drained)
1 can water
1 lb bag (12 oz more likely) frozen mixed veggies
Bisquick (or similar, I've even used tube biscuits or homemade biscuits)

Mix the hamburger, veggies (I sometimes partially thaw them sometimes not), tomato soup and water all together. Put into a 9 x 13 greased pan. Mix up drop biscuits as stated on Bisquick and drop by tablespoonfuls onto the top of the meat mixture. Bake in 350* oven until the biscuits are browned (maybe half an hour) and meat mixture is hot. It does reheat well and even freeze leftovers for take along lunches (hubby has to take his meals to work!).

You can adjust the amount for the number of people you need to feed. When all the girls were home I usually used 2 can tomato soup, 1 1/2 lbs. (or two bags) frozen veggies and 2 lb of hamburger.

Laurie