Recipes - Tried & True Easier-than-it-sounds Italianish "lasagna casserole"

S

Smee

This dish needs a name. I'm sure it has one. I just don't know what it is. It was inspired from this PW recipe, but it really barely resembles it anymore:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/sour-cream-noodle-bake/

I bet this could count under OAMC because this recipe makes a LOT, and I always freeze some for future meals. It is very flexible and forgiving. My measurements are based mostly on package sizing; I don't really measure anything in this dish. I've made it several times, and it has never been a failure.

1 lb ground beef
1 12 oz package egg noodles
1 large jar marinara-- the jars I use come from Costco and say 907g (2 lbs) on the label which appears to be about 32 oz.
2-3 TB basil pesto
1 cup grated parmesan (fresh is best, of course, but the stuff in the green jar works just fine)
1 1/2 cups (or so) grated sharp cheddar (optional, read through)
1 16 oz container sour cream
1 16 oz container small curd cottage cheese (or ricotta if you prefer)
Small can of mushrooms (optional)
chopped green onions to taste (optional)

Brown ground beef in a large pot or dutch oven and drain off any excess fat.
Add marinara, mushrooms, and pesto to the ground beef and stir well. Turn it down to low or medium low, cover, and simmer while stirring occasionally.

Cook pasta in well salted water, and drain.

While the meat and marinara mixture is simmering and the pasta is cooking, combine in a large bowl the cottage cheese (or ricotta) and sour cream. Add grated parmesan and mix well. Add black pepper to taste (I use probably a good couple of teaspoons, but I like it kind of peppery; it doesn't make the overall dish peppery) and chopped green onions to taste (not in my house). If you wanted, you could add an additional spoonful or so of pesto to this mixture. Make sure it is all combined.

Add the drained pasta to the sour cream and cottage cheese mixture, and combine well.
Add that whole shebang to the simmering meat and marinara mixture, and combine well.
Simmer until hot and melty all the way through, stirring occasionally.

At this point, you can eat it straight out of the pot, all warm and yummy. I like to put it in a casserole dish, top with the shredded sharp cheddar, and bake at 350 until the cheese is all toasty and melty (about 25 minutes).

I get a medium sized casserole dish out of this, plus two or three foil pie plate sized pans to freeze for future meals.

S

Smee

Ha! ..."drain off any excess fat." Like the whole thing isn't a fatty mess. A delicious, gooey, fatty mess.

kremsh

Krem Pit
Trader Group
Who doesn't love a delicious gooey fatty cheesy mess every once in a while? It sounds delish to me!

tndee

Trader Group
Yum!! I had to copy and save this one to my recipe file on my computer. It sounds like something I'd be pretty happy digging into! Thanks, [MENTION=115298]Smee[/MENTION]!

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Call it a "delizioso grasso appiccicoso pasticcio di formaggio" (delicious fatty gooey mess of cheese).

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
This sounds great!! I'd have to leave out the ground beef, and substitute spinach...but I think it's something hubby and I would both love!!

S

Smee

Call it a "delizioso grasso appiccicoso pasticcio di formaggio" (delicious fatty gooey mess of cheese).
Is that Italian? I'm not Italian, but my mother is:)rolleyes24:). You'd think I would have inherited the ability spit out such a mouthful of random (to my 'merican ears) letters, but my tangue would get all tongled, I bet. It sure sounds fancy, though. If I could say it. I'll practice.

This sounds great!! I'd have to leave out the ground beef, and substitute spinach...but I think it's something hubby and I would both love!!
My husband actually did add fresh spinach to it. It works very well. I believe you could probably use just about anything you want.:smile7:

Fillies Fan

International Man of Mystery!
Trader Group
Is that Italian? I'm not Italian, but my mother is:)rolleyes24:). You'd think I would have inherited the ability spit out such a mouthful of random (to my 'merican ears) letters, but my tangue would get all tongled, I bet. It sure sounds fancy, though. If I could say it. I'll practice.

Yup, it's Italian. It is actually a fairly easy language to speak if you remember that "i" is pronounced "ee" and that if there is an "h" after a "c" you don't pronounce it but if there is no "h" after the "c" you do pronounce it -- hence, "ciao" sounds like "chow" (and the "i" in it is almost silent). Also, you have to roll the letter "r" as you say it.

Simple, huh? :biggrin:

S

Steveee1

This sounds great! I might have to try it one day when I have the time