Does this sponge exist in America?

Discussion in 'Household Tips & Tricks' started by Fillies Fan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

Two days ago, I was at a mall with my ex and at a shop somewhat like Dollar Tree, we saw a very unusual sponge.

It is white, 11 inches long, 3 inches wide and two inches deep. What makes it so unusual is that it can be used to clean most things without any soap, detergents, etc. You just get it wet and then wipe off whatever you are cleaning.

I was doubtful but decided to buy it, figuring that if it did not work I could use it as a regular sponge. I then tried it on my bathroom sink which was, to say the least, rather dirty and with no effort on my part at all a single swipe had the sink shining.

I can't tell you the exact name of it as it is written in Hebrew and Hebrew has no written vowels. The closest I can come is either "Nofer" or "Nufer". It does not say what it is made out of (it does say it is kosher but I can't imagine what would make a sponge unkosher). It says on the package that it cleans plastic, marble, ceramics, brass, steel, bathtubs, pipes, ovens, microwaves, cars (but not with metallic colors) "and other things",

I have never seen this kind of sponge before and neither has my ex. I also have no idea of how it works. Does something like this exist in the States?

2. NoHio

NoHio Well-Known Member Staff Member Trader Group Moderator

It sounds kind of like a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but they are not that long. Other than that, I don't think I've seen anything similar.

greenfrog57, Fillies Fan and jastwins like this.
  3. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I was going to say the same thing. Magic Erasers work they way you're describing, but they're much smaller.

greenfrog57 and Fillies Fan like this.
  4. Fillies Fan

Thanks, I have never heard of Magic Erasers before but googled it after reading your responses and, yes, it does sound like the same thing.

greenfrog57 likes this.
  5. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

It's amazing the things we take for granted. As I typed my earlier response, I just assumed everyone had heard of Magic Erasers. I do the same thing when I'm talking to my sister, who has lived in Canada for 45 years. I'll mention a restaurant, store, or product, and she's baffled! Then again, she has to re-write recipes before she sends them to me...so that I don't have to calculate my ingredients in metric!

Fillies Fan likes this.
  6. Fillies Fan

When googling it I found that it has existed for 20 years and I moved out of the States in 1979. I can assure you that on my visits there I don't look for house cleaning products. :D

jastwins likes this.