Does Anyone Boil Their Rice?

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by Thrifty Bee, Apr 19, 2012.

1. queenofthehivemomof5

queenofthehivemomof5 Admin Hottie Trader Group

I use a rice cooker - sorry that is just so easy and I cook up a lot of rice at once and freeze it.

I don't rinse my rice because I like sticky rice.

The boil in a bag rice is converted rice. Meaning that is already cooked rice that has been dehydrated thus it cooks quicker. I would follow the instructions on the bag/box of rice instead of the instructions on your cooker since each type of rice cooks a little bit differently.

If you rice is soupy yet not cooked through (crunchy) you need to cook it longer. For regular white rice 2 parts water to 1 part rice is the right ratio. And you bring to boil, cover and simmer till water is gone. I would stop doing the let sit part and just cook it till all the water is gone and the rice is done.

Or invest in a rice cooker - seriously they can be found very inexpensively.

2. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

Thrifty Bee - does your lid have a steam-hole in it? If so some liquid will escape as steam and that could possibly be a factor in the hard rice.

I've done (white) rice this way for a million years and it's always fine. This is just regular long-grain rice, not brown or boil in the bag, etc.

Put 2 cups of cold water (I've read always start with cold - if I remember correctly it was something about having more oxygen than hot) the rice (or 3 cups water to 1 1/2 cups rice and so on) and your seasonings into a pot that has a lid that fits well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, put the lid on and set the timer for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid while cooking. After 15 minutes, turn off burner, push pot off the burner and let sit another 5 minutes or so. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.

Until recently I did always have to make my rice in a huge pot because no matter what it always boiled over. However late last year I discovered that if you add about 1 tsp vegetable or olive oil to the water it will not boil over. So now I can use an appropriately-sized pot.

That particular pot does have a steam hole in it so I actually add slightly more water (or you could add a smidge less rice than called for) to account for the steam escaping.

Re the beans for years I'd also read not to add salt during cooking because it causes the skins to be tough but I don't believe it's true either. That said, it does seem to me (not sure if it's really true or not) it takes less seasoning to get the flavors right when I add them at the end of cooking them whereas if I add them before and during I have to really dump it in and then still add more later.

Re the baking soda - I tried it years ago and saw no difference at all.

3. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original "Viral" Foodie

Altitude?

4. 434Teresa

434Teresa Guest

Thats it..I could not think of it for nothing..funny thing of all times I have no cake mix or brownie mix either.

5. Thrifty Bee

Thrifty Bee Guest

Thanks for all the great tips guys and you Queen for letting me know what the difference is in the boil in the bag rice. I was actually going to try boiling my rice like pasta and then draining it.

My cooker is fairly new, 2 years give or take a little; though it’s actually a Presto instead of a Rival as I earlier claimed. It has a dial thermostat and keeps precise temperature where my stupid stoves requires constant adjustment; turn it down a hair when it starts to boil over, then turn it back up when it stops boiling completely. It does not have a vent hole in the lid and fits well. I know most of you have seen this cooker at sometime, they’ve been around forever. It’s black and comes with a metal basket that has a removable handle. You can deep fry, boil, slow cook, simmer, steam or just about anything in it.

A rice cooker sounds nice, I’ve browsed them at Amazon and Walmart.com. I may buy one later on but right now I’m trying to recover from having to pay in more on taxes this year in addition to what they deducted from DH’s checks.

The altitude thing is a clever thought but doesn’t apply. I’m at sea level or normal altitude, whichever is the correct one to say.

I will try cooking longer and maybe even forgoing the salt. I’m actually not a salt person, absolutely hate it. But I’ve discovered that some things need it when boiling like pasta and potatoes, and I figured rice was another. Other than that I don’t use the stuff for cooking or seasoning my plate, I don’t even like it on my fries when we eat out.

I don’t really care if the rice is sticky or not as long as it’s very tender and not mushy and sticky to the point that what’s leftover turns into clump that won’t come apart during reheating.

6. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

I would love to have a rice cooker, but I don't want to have another appliance to manage. And I don't think I'd get any better rice using one. It's one of those things I've never had trouble with, which is why it's mystifying what's going on in your pot.

And the salt will make no difference, except in flavor. The few times I forget salt, I regret it - unless you are on a very restricted diet, don't do it!

The only things that could result in crunchy rice are too little water, or insufficient cooking time. Nothing else makes any sense.

7. PeachySteph

PeachySteph Guest

That's pretty much what I do. Follow the directions on the package. But instead of adding water, I add chicken broth.. but add some water so it's not super salty. Like if the package said I had to add 3 cups of water, I'd do 2 cups of broth and 1 cup of water. The kids LOVE it like that and gobble it up in an instant. :giggle2:

8. abond0017

abond0017 Guest

When I left the salt out...I only left it out for about 2/3 of the cooking time. I never just added it at the end...I can see how that would turn out bland

9. Thrifty Bee

Thrifty Bee Guest

OK, I cooked another pot of rice Friday but didn’t get the chance to report back on how it turned out. I turned the temperature a little higher than what I had been and had intended on cooking it longer. But all of the water was pretty much gone after 20 minutes so I checked it and it was tender. I turned the pot off and let it set 5 to 10 minutes while I finished my tuna and veggies, and it turned out fluffy and tender. The only thing I did different other than cook it on a higher temperature was I added butter. I’m not sure if the butter made a difference but I believe the higher temperature did.

Thanks everyone.

10. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

:BigHand: