Does Anyone Boil Their Rice?

Discussion in 'Rice & Grains' started by Thrifty Bee, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Thrifty Bee

Thrifty Bee Guest

I love rice but it is so hard to cook and I’m a good cook. I bake breads and cakes of all kinds from scratch and I’ve been told my fried chicken rivals KFC, but I can’t get a simple pot of rice right. I don’t have a rice cooker but I do have a Rival multi-cooker that has detailed instructions for cooking rice which are the same as what you’ll find on any bag of rice; 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, ½ teaspoon salt, simmer 18 minutes, rest for 5. I followed the directions exactly and got crunchy rice so I simmered for 20 and rested for 10 and got the same results. The next time I simmered for 25 minutes but that didn’t make a difference either, and I didn’t lift the lid and let the steam out.

Now boil in the bag rice turns out perfect but I can buy a regular bag of rice that’s twice the size for ½ the price. So I started thinking about what is different about the boil in the bag rice, is the rice itself any different? Because if the only difference is the bag is an easy way to boil and strain then I should be able to do that without the bag, right? Shouldn’t I be able to boil it in a pot until tender and strain it in a colander with really small holes?

I know it’s silly of me to have a problem with such a simple dish but I do. Thanks to anyone who offers advice.

2. froggie3

froggie3 Guest

I never have to drain my rice.

I put 2 to 1 (water to rice, so 2 cups water, 1 cup rice). Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low so it barely is simmering, put the lid on, and leave it until the water is mostly absorbed...fluff with a fork.

3. Slivnfree

Slivnfree Guest

Take a pot

Put the amount of rice you'd like

Rinse 3 times, Add water till you can put your finger barley touching level rice in pot and water level is at the bend line in your thumb.

Cover and bring to a boil, once at a boil crack lid and reduce heat to simmer.

Let simmer untill all water is gone, turn off heat, and cover set aside and let sit 5-10 Minutes or until you are ready to eat.

You can also add flavor before you cook it to have flavored rice or if you use tomatos with juice adjust water to still come to the bend in your thumb.

4. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

Here's my method:
    Toast the rice in a small amount of oil in a skillet/saute pan until the grains are opaque (you'll see the difference) some kernels might even get a golden color.
    Add salt to taste and boiling water at a ratio of 2x water to rice.
    Cover, reduce heat, to very low simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Let it sit for a little longer to make sure the water is all absorbed.
    Fluff with a fork and eat!

If you want a sticky rice, just put rice and 2x water and salt into a pot, bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes, or till water is absorbed.

While cooking, do not open lid!

I've never had crunchy rice - the only thing i can think is that there isn't enough water? And are you cooking with the lid off?

Also, try some different rice types. I love jasmine or basmati.

5. shelleyf

shelleyf Member of the Month March 2009 Trader Group

I can't cook rice either, lol and I can cook some mean dishes. I don't know why but I can cook the hard stuff but the simple stuff like rice comes out awful 1/2 of the time. Either too hard and crunchy and have to cook again, lol or too mushy. Then 1/2 of the time it comes out right and rice is one of my favorites. What I have been doing is like you OP I have been buying the rice in the bag. It is different but at least it comes out right every time. I do buy the instant sometimes but don't like it as much as it is a different flavor. I don't even try to cook brown rice. I hate the flavor and it takes forever to cook it.

6. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

This is very close to how I cook it, and it always comes out exactly the way we like it. For my family, I start out with 3 cups of water or chicken broth, and 1 1/2 cups of rice. Bring it to a boil, stir it a little bit, then put the lid on, and drop the temp to simmer. I've found that 25-30 minutes is perfect for the way we like rice.

Make sure that the burner is the right size for the pot, too! One time, I was using both big burners, so I (stupidly) tried to make the rice on a smaller one. But I was still using my big pot. It didn't cook right at all!!! And it was crunchy. I had to start over!

7. Thrifty Bee

Thrifty Bee Guest

I’ve pretty much been doing it like everyone says, two times the water per rice. I only make 1 cup of rice at a time though because it’s just for me and that lasts me several days. I use a multi-cooker that has a thermostat dial and keeps an even temperature a lot better than my stove. I stir the rice once when I first combine the rice, water, and salt to the pot but after that I leave it alone so I don’t let the steam out.

One thing I don’t do is rinse the rice. The instructions on the package and for my cooker never mentioned doing that so I didn’t know I should. Is there a reason that step is important?

I may try cooking it longer like XUfan. That was my first thought but I was already cooking it longer than what was called for, but maybe 5 more minutes is what it needs.

I still may try just plain boiling and draining it. If it works I could cook a lot at once and freeze it in individual portions.

8. Slivnfree

Slivnfree Guest

Rinsing the rice keeps it from Sticking together and becoming mushy. Also after your rice in done cooking don't stir it, that will also make it mushy.

Instead of keeping the lid on tight, try it cracked as I do. This way it is cooking and letting the steam out to give it the Light and fluffy type of rice. You will be able to also hear when all the water is steamed out too!

9. 434Teresa

434Teresa Guest

Now I use a more water than the rest of you do..

1 cup of rice and 3 cups of warm water...cook

But now I like to fry my fice first so it dont get all mushy only soft..so
    1 cup of rice in a pot with enough oil to get the rice wet only. Heat the rice while sterring until it starts to turn colors. Than add the 3 cups of warm water (add your flavoring also) cover and cook on med/about 5 on my stove, for about 10 minutes then uncover and turn it down to just a tad. Let it cook unitl the water has cooked out about 10 to 15 more minutes.
    The rice should be soft but not mushy..

You can use chicken broth instead of water if you like..I use seanoning salt for my flavoring or some of the Knorr homestyle stock(chicken) either one or two of the little cups, now two adds alot of flavor..

10. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

I've never had a problem with rice but I find that with this stove I need to use 3 cups of liquid to 1 of rice. I add a little margarine, butter or oil depending on what I am making. This helps prevent sticking. If I am cooking Asian rice I don't add the oil and just hope it doesn't stick. It usually doesn't. I also add salt. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to 3, put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes. Brown rice takes longer to cook.

11. abond0017

abond0017 Guest

Wish I could help. My thought was to stop putting the salt in, but that is probably not right. I just know that if you add salt to beans while they cook it makes them take longer to get soft...but like I said, that probably isn't the case with rice. Hmmm....all else I can think is hat the cooker isn't keeping it at a high enough temp. Is it an older one? Maybe it just isn't working as well as it should.

12. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

I never rinse my rice. I read that rinsing was done in the old days and also in some countries where they put a coating on the rice. I can't remember why they put a coating. But the rinsing would take it off and also any bugs or rocks or anything else that might be in there. But these days the rice is clean so you don't need to do that.

13. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

I fry mine first if making Mexican or Spanish rice.

To do Asian fried rice you want rice that is a day old after it has been cooked. It needs to be kind of dried out.

I have cooked many pots of rice. I have never had mushy rice.

14. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

Oh but that isn't true with beans either! It's a long held myth that isn't actually true. Beans are much more flavorful when cooked with salt, and the texture is better over all.
    Try it sometime! They will soften just fine.
    What you don't want to cook with beans is anything acidic, like tomatoes.

abond0017 likes this.
  15. abond0017

abond0017 Guest

Hmmm...I'll have to give it a try then. I just always did it the way my mama taught me.

16. JulieDB

JulieDB Guest

The last time I made beans I did not add the salt and pepper until the end, after the beans were soft because I thought the salt would toughen them. They had no flavor at all! I kept adding more and more salt and still no taste.

I can't remember now how I used to cook them. I think I did add the salt in the beginning but not the tomatoes. I haven't cooked beans in a long time. It's so easy to get the canned ones these days and I have had coupons for them too.

17. clippyclippy

clippyclippy Guest

All those years I made bland beans because I thought you couldn't add salt. I can't tell you how hard I kicked myself when I found this not to be true!

18. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We only eat whole grain rice here, so I can't give any information on whether rinsing white rice changes the texture, but the reason they tell you not to rinse white rice is that is where they put the vitamins when they fortify the white rice. Beriberi is a terrible disease. It became quite a problem once the Asians started eating polished white rice instead of the whole grain rice of their anscestors.
    Manufacturers tried to compensate by spraying a few of the vitamins they had removed by processing on the outside of the grain. If you rinse the rice, you rinse the vitamins down the drain with the water.
    You need to rinse brown rice, because it still has dust or a few pieces of hull mixed in the batch. There is also a possibility of bugs, although I've never found any in years of cooking the stuff.
    Anyway, since brown rice isn't fortified, the vitamins are throughout the grain, not just on the outside, so rinsing doesn't affect the nutritional value of it.

19. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yes, you definitely DON'T want to add anything acidic to beans. Years ago when I had no experience cooking them I made the mistake of adding tomatoes to chili before the beans were cooked. NEVER made that mistake again! Hours and hours later, the beans hadn't even started to cook. The chili was completely inedible. :hectic:
    I haven't tried it yet, but a few weeks ago my Mom said she remembered her mother sticking baking soda in beans when she cooked them. She had never done it, because she was worried about the sodium keeping the beans from cooking. She decided to try it the way her mother did and discovered why. Apparently, you don't get all the "side effects" with beans if you add the soda. :giggle2:

20. 434Teresa

434Teresa Guest

it will sure get all mushy on me if I dont fry it first. I cant think of the word but maybe its it like on the cake boxes where it says that some may have cook the batter long because of "oh rats just cant think of it"..