Recipes - 5 Ingredients Or Less Delicious Recipe for Round or Tenderized Steaks (BUT WOULD YOU CALL THIS SWISS STEAK?)

greenfrog57

Mod Of The Month July 2011
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I found this recipe in the forums at Taste of Home. I made this last night and DH & DD both had seconds!

SWISS STEAK

round steak, pounded and cut into serving size pieces
flour
1 pkg. onion soup (w/mushrooms optional)
shortening -- I only used a pan spray to coat the pan and was able to brown this way.

After trimming fat and cutting into serving size pieces, I simply pound
the meat on both sides until tender and dredge in flour. In electric skillet, heat shortening until melted and hot. Add floured meat and brown well on both sides, removing browned pieces and adding more until all meat is browned. Remove meat from pan and drain grease. Add meat back to the pan and add one package of dry onion soup mix (with or without mushrooms). Add water to cover.

Simmer, covered, 2-3 hours or longer; the longer the better! Add water if necessary during cooking. The soup and water will thicken as it cooks and no thickening will be necessary.

It's easy, it's really good, and no tomatoes! LOL....

I simmered for 3 hours and it was fork tender but not so cooked that it disintegrated in the pan.

C

clippyclippy

What a great recipe using on of the lesser expensive cuts of meat
i am definitely going to try this for lunch after church tomorrow. I can start it before we leave, and have it ready when we get home.
thanks for sharing!

XUfan

Member Of The Month May 2010
Trader Group
I make this for my husband whenever I can find round steak cheap...which is rare these days! He loves it. I season my flour with garlic powder and black pepper. Also, since I don't have an electric skillet, I use a cast iron skillet, and finish it off, covered, in the oven. He loves it! Oh...and we call it "Mom's Steak" because my mom used to make it (when round steak really was cheap!).

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
[MENTION=32345]clippyclippy[/MENTION] - I hope your family liked it as much as mine!
[MENTION=1455]XUfan[/MENTION] - I also added garlic powder and black pepper to my flour. I forget to mention simple additions like that since it is a given for me. I also didn't use an electric skillet but a large heavy skillet on the electric smooth-top stove (so no cast-iron either for fear of shattering it!)

My girlfriend refers to a similar recipe as "smothered steak" so maybe that's what I will call it. Swiss steak is something else I think.....

C

clippyclippy

I didn't make it after all! The meat was too expensive... :hysterical: Not on sale, regular $5.99/lb?
I'll wait till I find a mark down package and grab it then.
I'm sure it will be yummy!

3timesoccermom

The Original "Viral" Foodie
I'm with your friend on calling this smothered steak. I think Swiss steak has dry mustard in it.

But, whatever, steak, gravy, long-time simmering - you can't go wrong!
I'd serve this with egg noodles and if daughter didn't object, would also add bunches and bunches of mushrooms. :smile7:

Always nice to have another easy winner in the file.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
This is dinner again tonight! Down to the end of my gifted beef....

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Dinner again tonight - seems to be a once a month dinner. My family loves it!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I just called my friend whose dad has a farm for hints on tenderizing a steak. She said to score the meat in a grid and then pound. Trying this technique with tonight's rendition of this delicious recipe!

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Round steak is $2.99/lb at Safeway unadvertised this week.

queenofthehivemomof5

Admin Hottie
Trader Group
This sounds tasty. I think I may have some cube steaks in the freezer which is the cut we use for Swiss Steak (our recipe for that has tomatoes & peppers in it)

This sounds easy though with just a few ingredients.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
Dinner again!
This time, I think I'll cook some noodles to serve underneath.

greenfrog57

Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
Trader Group
I have and it works well, but this time I just ponder the heck out of them instead!