dead deal RAOK What is your worst trip story? Let me know!!

Discussion in 'Random Acts Of Kindness (RAOK) Giveaways' started by jastwins, May 13, 2017.

1. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

It seems that all is not great on the senior trip and the twins are on their way home. I am sure the kids are super cranky because they miss the comforts of home. When they get back tonight, it will be non-stop complaining so I better enjoy the peace and quiet until they arrive.

What is the worst thing that ever happened to you on a trip out of state? LEt's hear all the details and hopefully, we will get a good laugh out of it.
    Here is what happened on our one and only family Disney trip: Our accommodations were a motel under construction and a sign on the door to keep it locked at all times due to the high crime rate in the area. My sister let us use her timeshare and this is where they put us. I called up my sister in tears, and 3 hours later, we drove 2 miles down the road to a 3 bedroom , 3 bath condo at a Golf resort that was lovely. It was like going from hell to heaven in one day. At Disney, we got rained on, D1 caught a virus, Crankie got sick, Crankie slammed d1's finger with the car door (she was fine), Space Mountain was out of service for 3 days,Epcot was under construction and everyone was miserable when you parked your car in Grumpy 123. Needless to say, I will probably never go back. The girls went there for their 8th grade trips and loved it.

The winner of this RAOK will be receive a 50 coupon potluck ( I will check your WL), 2 forever stamps and $2 CC. If the stories are really good and we get past post 25, I will pick a runner up using the random number generator and a different person will receive the a 25 coupon pot luck, 1 forever stamp and $1 CC .
    I will let this go on until Thursday night!
    Please leave 2 posts between your own and if I comment, it counts as one.

Let's hear those stories!!!

Winner is @Gardencook. Second place is a tie between @XUfan and @vickib50 .

Thank you for your stories.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Looks like someone needs to get the ball rolling here ... but I'm not sure you'll believe my bad vacation story. Guess it has provided a few laughs (or head shakes) through the years, however.

In my mid-teen years it was just my Mom and I alone in the world. Mom decided to treat me to a trip to Disneyland -- still haven't made it to Orlando like you @jastwins, but I doubt I ever will.

You know you're off to a bad start when your Greyhound bus pulls away from the curb and you look down and see your luggage standing on the sidewalk -- waiting to be loaded on the bus ... :eek:

Mom ran to the front to tell the driver he'd left it behind, but he insisted our very unique (i.e. old fashioned) luggage was not ours, but someone else's and refused to stop the bus. We got all the way from Washington to Redding, California before we could get anyone to check for our luggage. SURPRISE! It wasn't on the bus.

Redding was always our LEAST favorite Greyhound stop. (We traveled to California twice by bus.) That is where they refueled the bus -- both ways. Federal regulations required that EVERYONE had to depart from the bus to avoid a mishap. We always got there in the middle of the night, so got to spend an hour or two trying to stay awake at two or three a.m. with nothing to do but eat in the cafeteria where the Greyhound staff bit your head off. ( Everyone else got snapped at too, so it wasn't our fault. ;) )

Both of us have severe smoke allergies and those years they allowed smoking in the last eight or 1o rows of the bus. We quickly learned that smokers don't like to sit in the back of the bus, so they would rush on, grab all the front seats, make the non-smokers take the back seats and then walk to the back of the bus to smoke every hour or two, bracing their cigarette hands on the seats to keep from toppling on curves. I spent most of the trip unable to sleep for fear my long hair would catch fire if I dozed off.

Then there were those "other" cigarettes a young gal was smoking in the restroom. Mom and I were so naive at that time, we didn't know what we were smelling -- until the bus driver got on the speaker and explained that federal law only allowed tobacco on buses, nothing else. :rolleyes: We both ended up with splitting headaches by the time we reached Los Angeles.

From the Los Angeles bus depot, we had to catch a cab to Anaheim. There were none at the bus station, so we called and waited for what seemed an eternity for the cab, but perhaps it was only an hour or two. Probably not that unusual for Los Angeles, I suppose.

While we were waiting, our eyes started watering to the point it was close to full blown crying. That was our first experience with smog. Until then, we just thought Los Angeles was very foggy. lol!

We had booked a special tour through Greyhound which included our round-trip bus tickets and Greyhound was supposed to take care of our motel reservations -- "supposed to" being the operative word. It seems that even though Greyhound knew EXACTLY what day we were arriving on a GREYHOUND bus, it informed the motel we would get there the day we left Washington -- which was logistically impossible. We arrived at the front desk of our motel to be informed we hadn't arrived the correct day, so our room had been given away and the owner wasn't sure if he could find us another since it was the height of tourist season.

After another hour or so, he was able to locate us another hotel a distance away. So much for the promise of a place right across from Disneyland. If I recall correctly, Mom also had to pay an additional fee for the room. :mad:

Then of course, our luggage had to find us AFTER it finally arrived from ... Canada. One of the disadvantages of growing up in Vancouver, Washington is that no one has ever heard of the place. People either think you are Canadian or live in the District of Columbia. They just look confused when you try to explain and even the Greyhound depot in Vancouver, Washington apparently didn't know the difference and sent our luggage to Vancouver, British Columbia!

We did book a local tour at our motel which I honestly can't complain about too badly. We took a nice tour bus down to a wildlife safari and saw San Juan Capistrano, as well.

About the only complaint that day was the kid who belted out ALL the verses of "Ninety-nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall" for the ENTIRE trip back to Anaheim. Despite several stern criticisms from the bus driver, the parents WOULD NOT shut the kid up! We weren't thrilled by the noise, but felt really sorry for the driver who had to maneuver a huge tour bus through California afternoon rush hour traffic with the kid sitting on the floor next to him. (The kid REFUSED to go back to the seat by his parents.)

Disneyland didn't start out badly. We knew something was up when a couple of teenage boys kept snickering as they refused to take their assigned front seats on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and INSISTED Mom and I had to take them instead, but we eventually dried out in the California heat -- especially since you had to stand in line for close to an hour to get into most of the attractions.

I was REALLY disappointed to learn that they had sent Abraham Lincoln to Orlando for the "grand opening" of Disney World -- now I really sound old. To top it off, when my husband and I returned to Disneyland after we were married they were remodeling the exhibit so two trips to Disneyland and I never got to see old Abe. :(

It wasn't until that afternoon that I got to feeling rather "weird," however, I didn't want to ruin Mom's fun -- or mine either for that matter. Can't even remember the name of the attraction where Mom caught on that I was really sick -- I didn't know myself until halfway through the movie. It was a 360-degree theater in the round where you stood in the middle of a room and "traveled" the United States with video and sound going all around you. I'm not generally prone to motion sickness, but I was that day. By the end of the film I was holding onto the handrail in front of me for dear life! I didn't think that movie would ever end!

Mom looked over when the lights went on and saw I'd turned several shades of green. She felt my forehead and realized I had a fever. Our big chance at Disneyland and I caught the flu -- right in the middle of summer. :confused:

She got me back to the motel and we spent the last day of our vacation locked in the motel room. I was sicker than a dog and my fever shot sky-high. I kept apologizing for ruining her trip and good mother that she was, she just kept telling me it was fine and couldn't be helped.

So with Mother's Day tomorrow, I thought it would be good to end our bad vacation story with a tribute to mother's everywhere. I couldn't have had a better one! :)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

Contest over. No one can beat that one!

Sherri1480, jastwins and Gardencook like this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Oh Vicki! Surely someone's had a worse vacation than mine. I still look back on it with quite a few fond memories despite it all. ;)

BTW, I know this comment doesn't "count" as an "official" post.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  5. jastwins

:);):rolleyes:o_O

6. jastwins

7. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

Gosh! I thought there would be a ton of responses by now. I saw this thread the day it was posted, but I didn't have time to post at the time. So...here goes:

Shortly after my divorce from my first husband, my daughter (then 18) and I decided that we should take some short trips, and do things that I like to do (because every trip, movie, restaurant, etc. had been chosen by her father when we were married). So, we decided to go to Cleveland (the closest NBA city to us) and see a game. This was before they were good, so seats were cheap! She wanted to take a couple of friends, and I had no problem with it...as long as I got a room to myself!

So, I made reservations at a Days Inn, outside of Cleveland. We drove 3 hours from our apartment, and found it easily, as it was right off the highway. It was an old-school motel...all on one level, in kind of a L-shape in a huge parking lot. I went to the desk to check in. I told them I had reservations for 2 rooms. The clerk asked if I wanted them next to each other, or apart. The girls said, "Apart!". Not a problem. So I was given a room that was in the first part of the building, about 3 rooms from the desk. The girls were given a room that was in the 3rd section of the building. So, we walked their stuff down to their room, and I went back to put my stuff in my room.

As I walked in, the phone was ringing. It was my daughter. Apparently, the toilet in their room was "full to the brim with water and cigarette butts." So, I called the desk. They said they didn't have maintenance guy there, so I should come to the desk and get a key to a different room. I did, and we went to the room the told us to go to. It looked fine. So I went back to my room.

As I walked in, the phone was ringing. It was my daughter. There was no shower head on the shower. So, I called the desk. And again, I went to the desk to get a key to another room. This time, the room was fine. The toilet and shower both worked. So, I went back to my room.

It was fairly hot that day, and I didn't have AC in my car, so I thought I'd take a shower before we went to the game. I noticed there was only one towel, so I called the desk to see if I could get another one, for my morning shower. I was told that the maid was gone for the day, and never leaves the key to the supply closet...because she thinks they steal the stuff on night shift. The "pleasant" girl at the desk told me to hang it up overnight, and it would be fine.

Then, I thought I'd check to see what was on TV. But where was the remote? Oh, and the phone was ringing again! It seems that the girls didn't have a remote either. I called the desk (by this time, I'm sure she loved me!). She said that you can't have a remote unless you pay a $15 deposit...which you get back when you check out IF you bring the remote back to the desk. I was tired, and didn't want to keep getting up to change channels, so I paid for one for my room...but the girls took turns changing the channel in their room. When I went to get my remote from the desk, I took my ice bucket. The ice machine was the kind that's a big bin that you scoop the ice from. But there was no scoop. I asked if she knew where it was, and she said they didn't have one. Just use your hands. YIKES! I skipped the ice, and drank a warm can of Coke.

We checked out the next day, and even that was an adventure! I wanted to register a complaint (or more!) with the manager. I was told that he was "asleep in his office, and wasn't to be disturbed." I had already paid when we arrived, so we left.

I contacted the corporate offices of Days Inn when we got home. I told and re-told my story to several people as I got bounced from office to office. I began to wonder if they just liked hearing me tell it! Finally, after about 45 minutes on the phone, someone said that they'd send me a check for the cost of both rooms, plus $50 for my trouble.

It ended up well, but I have not...and will not...stay at a Days Inn as long as I live!

8. jastwins

9. vickib50

While this may not truly be my WORST story, it ranks in the top 5. In early 2002, I won a sweepstakes trip of 5 nights in South Beach, Miami Beach, for 5 people. Now, that, folks, is a great prize! So, imagine my further delight when I learned that I actually had 4 friends in the world. So, we made our plans to depart on Friday before Easter which fell late in March that year. On (oh, geez, when I describe it this way, you'll know the outcome) one side was my friend from childhood and her partner, also one I'd known from high school (he was good friend to my first husband). On the other side was a more recent, but, still long-standing friend and her sister, both, at that time, old maids. Now that I've set the stage, let the games begin!

Childhood friend is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. She chose her partner from similar bulbs. Backing up a few decades, she made it through senior English in high school and graduated because I, as a sophomore in high school, wrote all of her papers.

Other friend; well on her way in life (now has PhD) and sister with not one, but, three college degrees.

Oldest friend takes it upon herself to choose all restaurants and activities. Even though rental car was in my name, her partner hoarded the keys. So, we are off to Little Havana to eat at Versailles, a famous restaurant there on Calle Ocho as I recall. When the three of us in the back seat ask our destination, she tells us, badly mangling the pronunciation. I corrected her. She shot back, "Well, I'm not Mexican!" As a chorus, we said, "It's French!" And the race is on.

By midweek, I have been pushed into role of homeroom mother. Factions not speaking to each other. Refusing to make plans together. I must plan mornings with one pair and afternoons with the other.

Oh, we were put up at Loew's Miami Beach. Even back in 2002, the room rates started at $350 per night. We were there 5 nights and had 5 different rooms, although we did not use all. Not a cheap trip. Airfare for 5 from Chattanooga to Miami. Tickets to 10 area attractions for 5 people. Seaquarium, Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle, etc.

I'm developing a splitting headache just recalling this fiasco.

Gardencook, jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  10. jastwins

Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  11. vickib50

jastwins, Sherri1480 and Fillies Fan like this.
  12. Fillies Fan

Fillies Fan International Man of Mystery! Trader Group

I know it is too late for the RAOK but I decided to tell you about my worst trip ever.

I was 20 years old, in the Army, and was being sent to Vietnam.

The military had chartered a plane to take us all there and while it had flight attendants we only saw them at meal times. The pilot also did not bother making any announcements.

As 'Nam is a very hot country, we were all dressed in our short sleeve uniforms. Finally, the pilot came on the PA to announce that we were about to land. The flight was only a few hours old so we knew it couldn't be over and that we were only stopping for re-fueling. We tried to guess where and most of us figured that it had to be Hawaii.

We were wrong. It was Alaska (the flight was taking the polar route). We didn't discover that until we had to get off the plane, walk down the stairs, and then go to the terminal. I can guarantee you that Alaska in late October can be very cold -- especially if you are only wearing a light cotton, short sleeve, uniform.

When we finally got back on the plane and took off for the longest segment they put a movie on for us to enjoy. Their choice of entertainment? The Longest Day. That is exactly what a plane full of young men heading into a war zone want to see -- soldiers being chopped to pieces as they landed on the beaches of Normandy.

jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.
  13. vickib50

If that don't beat all!

Fillies Fan likes this.