Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

With a REALLY exhausting day out of town yesterday and all the noise this morning I had NO desire to leave the house today -- so no money spent there.

I actually did quite well at controlling my spending yesterday, so I can't fault myself for the money I did spend.

I did buy discount pita bread and whole grain pasta I couldn't buy here and got some markdown produce as well as a package of markdown whole grain naan bread.

I spent about $7 at the discount store where I can easily spend a fortune, but told myself I couldn't have a lot of whole grain "goodies" that I would have liked had the prices been a bit lower. I did get some of the brand of bread we don't have a bakery thrift outlet for here.

Made it through a large thrift store, Big Lot's, Kohl's, Sears and Macy's without spending a cent. Of course, I don't have daughters heading off to college like @jastwins. I really don't keep up on sales at the department stores, since we don't have them any longer. I was too tired to go into Dillard's even though it was in the same mall as Sears and Macy's. It is another department store that deserted us years ago. I probably wouldn't have gone into the stores at all had I not been wasting time waiting for DH's meetings to end. At least the mall was cool.

Splurged on lunch at an all-you-can-eat salad bar, but that was to waste time, as well. Figured I couldn't waste more than 15 or 20 minutes at a fast food joint, but managed to spend nearly an hour and a half over lunch, just enjoying a leisurely meal in the cool.

I did use a coupon which saved me $2 off the already reasonable starting price and we've got a loyalty card for that restaurant and are getting somewhat close to earning another $25 gift certificate. We generally only go there on special occasions, so it takes us quite a while to earn one.

The salad bar is MUCH better than the same chain here in our town -- even though we enjoy the restaurant here. Our bar has chicken wings, while the one in the other town has wings and chicken tenders. The brownies to go with ice cream are soft and chewy up there, while the ones at our restaurant are always thin and tough as shoe leather.

That restaurant has a much wider variety of quinoa salads -- and frankly the "chef" at our restaurant could use a bit more training. The quinoa salads up there always look bright and appetizing. The same salads here taste fine, but often look a bit like a car ran over them. :confused:

Got in on the last day of the Harvest/Pea Crisp sale, since they weren't restocking the ones DH likes at our store. Did have to warn the clerk about the overcharge, and just as I suspected the price rang in $1 too high on each bag. I had the clerk ring the crisps up separately from my other groceries so there would be no doubt about what they should cost. After carefully checking to make sure I'd purchased the correct product, she did adjust it to the correct price.

I found a few bags of a different brand at our favorite discount store last week, so DH now has a supply that will last him a little while -- although with his metabolism, probably not long enough.

He may need them, because while he was taking care of the banking and insurance involved with selling the car the other day, he got a message on his cell phone. The job he interviewed for more than two months ago may finally come through -- after we had given up on it.

Unfortunately, it is a contract job that ends with the fiscal year, so there is only about five weeks of work available. :( They "think" there is a good chance of the contract being renewed, but you know how that goes? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is a chance he may be back to commuting and that will mean he'll need to take lunches, snacks for the road up there and snacks for the road home. Now I wish we'd remembered the "one day only sale" on the snack chip packs last week. However, it completely slipped our minds.

Since our store was out of Taco Bell gift cards Sunday and didn't appear to be restocking them, I did have him pick up a couple cards while he was up there today. There was no guarantee our store would restock before the 4x promotion ends and we don't know exactly when we'll next be back up there. It could be tomorrow or it could be months ...

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  2. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Went to Target to look at something completely different and found 2 bargains.... First was some Hormel always tender roasts that had $3 and $4 off stickers on them, making them 1/2 price. I bought 7 of them - 2 teriyaki and 5 regular roasts. One will be dinner tomorrow and the rest went straight into the freezer. Lots of pork roast in my meal plans the rest of the summer!

The other bargain was a clearance priced kitchen aid mixer, priced at $40 less than the cheapest one online. I have wanted one for years, but never found a real bargain on one at a time when I felt like I had money to spend. (I keep $300 out of the house sale $ just for a splurge of some sort, so I guess this was part of that.):D

DH also picked up some clearance M&M's - red,white, and blue from 4th of July. Also a bag of reeses pieces for the kiddo. I don't buy candy much anymore - too expensive and too fattening...... Total fail on what I was actually looking for today (something for the condo). Oh well, another shopping trip for another time.

Lunch was some taquitos and mini tacos from the freezer.
    Dinner: 1 leftover pizza slice per person and some pasta with spaghetti sauce. There wasn't enough of either item for a real meal, so it worked out just to eat both.

Caught up on a couple of weeks of a finance podcasts that I like and read a couple of blog articles this evening. That was about the excitement of my day!

jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  3. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, DH still has no idea if he is going back to work. He never got a call from the gal who was supposed to contact him after he made contact with the boss on Wednesday. Supposedly they're now in a big hurry to fill the position after two months of nothing -- and the job ends at the end of September with hopes it will be renewed for another year. It is kind of making DH wonder about the whole thing ... o_O

However, IF he finds himself back to work next week, it does seem things are falling into place for his commute.

We've now got a vehicle that is up to the challenge and got the other car sold. (I DID NOT want to deal with potential buyers on my own.)

Today we got in on the last day of discount house-brand groceries at the store we shop the most. That brought us five loaves of bread for a little more than $1 each. Also got five packs of cheese slices for 90 cents each. We've got plenty of tuna, which is really his favorite lunchtime sandwich.

Earlier in the week I was able to get more of the pea crisp chips while we were out of town. It was the last day of the mega-sale, so he now has those if he needs them for lunches.

Dropped by our discount store again this afternoon. The store has had a TON of oatmeal cookies the past few weeks, as well as whole grain fig bars -- two of his favorite sweet treats. I really can't bake anything for close to some of their prices.

Today we found a bunch of bags of assorted fruit/nut/seed mixes ranging from 75 cents total for four small bags to $2.25 for four larger bags. He loves that sort of stuff for munching at his desk or in the car.

Between more whole grain cookies, 12 pouches of heat and eat quinoa ($2.07 total for each four bags), trail mix and a can of coffee, I thought I'd gotten us up to $25 to qualify for another $5 punch on our discount card. However, their sales are so complicated we came up short. I had to go back for another eight large bags of trail mix to get us to $26 for the discount. We left with several bags of food for less than $21 with tax. I LOVE that store!

The clerk couldn't find her hole punch, so she handed the card back with a wink. That means we've STILL got two more $5 punches on the card which expires August 31. Clerks haven't punched the card twice, stretching five $5 punches to seven. Depending on what they set out, we may still get some real deals.

The card cost us $25 and so far we've saved $25 at that store alone. Meanwhile, we got all sorts of B1G1 dining and attraction options including plays, concerts and museums. I think we got our money's worth -- even though we did buy it quite late in the year!

Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  4. KmmCo

Pork roast, boxed potatoes, and canned green beans for dinner.

We went out to lunch today at Chilis - spent too many $$.:( I ordered an $8 lunch special, but DH and DS ordered expensive meals plus 3 drinks today added to the tab.

I ran into walmart for 2 items so that I could get a $3 bonus on Ibotta. The bonus plus the $1.50 I got for the items pushed me over the $20 to get a gift card for next weeks shopping.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  5. KmmCo

Found a car for DS from a person down the street. 2001 Honda Civic .... A little older than I wanted but super cheap and runs good.

Lunch today: grilled polish kielbasa, hash browns, salad. All from what was here after my Wed shopping trip.

jastwins and jcdamomma like this.
  6. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

I managed to use up all the week end of produce for dinner ..had 5 potatoes, half a green pepper and half an onion decided to make a potato salad with it. DH hates celery so worked out good. I got a McCormick skillet sauce at smith's a couple days ago marked down to $.49 so will make Applewood BBQ Chicken with some chicken tenders I need to use up.

KmmCo, Sherri1480 and 3timesoccermom like this.
  7. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today, I turned in bottle deposits and got back $8.65. I cashed out and put $8 of the money in my account. Tonight, I used a $25 credit on Shutterfly to order some wallet photos of the twins (OOP $3.95 which was shipping/tax). Not sure what they did on their site, but I found it much more difficult to create a card and order it. I was not happy the the selection online, so, I just gave up and ordered wallet photos. The girls and I will write out the cards. and I send them out next week.
    I took care of a neighbor's cat and will use the funds to buy this week's ferry ticket. I will opt for the 7 day ticket since I have to make 2 extra trips off island this week. Thursday is payday and I will do a CVS run that day. Last week, I earned a$10 ecr from Cvs for answering a survey and an email from Staples contained a teacher reward of $5.
    Also this week, I have to book the ferry to take D2 to school on the 26th. This ferry has a rewards program and I hope to get a discount on at least one of my trips. On Saturday, I will get my oil changed and am going to Cranky's yacht club Lobster dinner.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  8. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

I was within $2 and change of the $20 cash out level for Ibotta, so I decided to go to Riteaid to see what I could buy. They had a B1G1 sale on Adult gummie B12 energy vitamins that D2 needs, so I picked that up for her. I paid $10.79 OOP for 2 and Ibotta allowed $2.50 each on 2 bottles. I should have gotten the any item .25 but forgot to check it. : ( So, $5.79 for 2 bottles of vitamins is a pretty good deal, plus my Ibotta balance can now be paid out.
    My emails brought me a MIR for doing a survey for a Gliss hair product. Ibotta sent me a Shutterfly code for 2 Art 8x10 photos or a notepad. Yesterday, I used a $5 STaples reward to get D3 some free post its (500 ct) . I earned a $3 and $1 Amazon code for doing surveys.

All week, lunch, snacks and drinks are all from home, so no spending on food while at work. Today, the marketing officer gave me a free ticket to attend the Hampton Classic Horse show. Since I have worked for the bank, I have passed by the show on my way home, but never attended. Twice, over the years, I won a seat for a luncheon, but staffing issues prevented me from going. With my ticket, I can bring in a car load of guests and I have a minivan!!! I just have to pick a day to go.

Still eating leftovers from the party, so no cooking for me. The girls want to go to Sam's club for their college snacks, but I may use Jet or Boxed to save time and wear and tear on my van. I may stop at Cvs to use a $10 ecr for doing a survey and a $5 gc from SB. Tomorrow, I will head towards my other house to drop off the truck to get inspected and the windshield resealed. Crankie got an $80 ticket since he forgot to inspect the truck since APRIL!! On Saturday, I have to take my van for an oil change. Thankfully, tomorrow is payday and I have to book for ferry trip for D2 and set aside gas and toll money for D1. My twins are college bound next week. D3 will be an only child for a while.