Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

Got a $25 Visa GC from a MyPoints Cash out. Mom and I tried to hit up a free estate liquidation,but everything was gone by the time we got there. So we hit up Amvets thrift store and I scored two smoked dresses for Bitty Bird and a new sweater vest for DH.

Picked up DS rX, now we are home until school is out for the day. We are going to go hunt for painted rocks (it's a local thing), then hopefully, I can con the big kid into a trip to the Y for some exercise. It seems like there is one week a month I just can't get to the Y each day- This week was that week. Between Doctors appts, Food bank, hubs going out of town for a conference, and the kids getting really bad sleep two nights in a row (They missed Daddy), it seems like I've run out of spoons each day.

I'm trying to cash in as many rewards as I can, it seems like all of my favorite rewards programs are drying up or changing :(

With all the dr's appts and therapy my Big guy needs, I'm trying to knock our grocery OOP to $100. I'm doing a co-op, and a pantry trade.

2. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Still hotter than "you know what" out ...... I hope this isn't a sign of what the whole summer is gonna be like.

I made my ravioli's last night since that was something I knew I could eat. I had several containers left for work lunches this week. We managed to get to Sprouts on Friday and I stocked up on produce for the week. I got .50 in Ibotta rebates from there.

We didn't even stop at any garage sales, but we did go into our favorite thrift store. I found 2 pair of pants for $4 each that were in practically mint condition (Eddie Bauer and Lee). DH got a few items including a nice pair of sneakers. I dropped off two books as donations on the way into the thrift store - gotta keep cleaning out more stuff though!

Sat. was a work day for me since I decided to pick up a shift from someone. Extra $$ on the same paycheck that will have my holiday pay! I had to drive myself to the train and I managed to top off the gas tank on the way. I am glad that I picked up a booklet of 5 train passes instead of just the 3 that I was gonna get. I needed them since I used one today and two earlier this week because my carpooler was sick for a couple of days..... I need the other 2 for the end of the month when I am again working for someone on my day off and for a day that my carpooler took as a vacation day.

3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

This past week, I cashed out for some Amazon gc's -- a $5 from Kelloggs and $3 from Receipt pal. After gathering a few receipts, I submitted them to Mobisave to get exactly .45 cents to bring my PP bal to $25. I promptly paid my paypal credit with the funds.
    This has been a clean and toss weekend and if I were not exhausted, I would do more. Our dump has a goody pile for people to take stuff or leave things, so I dropped off some unwanted items there. There are also clothing bins at the dump and I put in 4 large bags of unwanted clothing. The girls are filling a second contractor bag of unwanted stuff and garbage and more things for me to leave at the goody pile. More good news was that during her room cleanup, D3 found her school calculator and I am thrilled we do not have to pay to replace it. It had been missing over 5 mos and I told her it was in her room in a bag. Well, that is how she found it. Always listen to your mother!!
    I paid $15 to order D1 her transcript for her college credit courses, she took through a community college, in high school. D1 is attending a state university and they will most likely accept all her credits. D2 is going to school in a different state and they will not recognize the credits from the community college in NY. They will recognize one of her AP classes from last year and depending on her scores, maybe she will get credit for one other course.

Sherri1480, KmmCo, jcdamomma and 2 others like this.
  4. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Well, if it hasn't arrived yet, I suspect relief is on the way @KmmCo! After sweltering all weekend, we're freezing our tootsies off the past couple days. Trying to figure out what to wear from one day to the next is getting to be quite a chore. Thankfully the winter stuff isn't out of reach yet. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised to wake up to snow this morning. The higher elevations did -- FOUR feet of it! BRRR!

Thankfully, so far we've just gotten rain, more rain, hail, high winds and a lot more rain after that. At least the tornadoes stayed in Wyoming and Nebraska. We've got enough problems with flooding right now. (Boise's Zoo is making preparations to evacuate animals if necessary!)

We went to see Fiddler on the Roof preformed at the University last night. Had a B1G1 deal on our punch card that is going to expire in August and nothing offered earlier really excited us. The only problem is we've got another B1G1 for a community theater and what are they doing next month? Fiddler on the Roof. Guess we'll get to see it twice this summer. lol! I think they'd better start communicating a bit better in the future.

Went to pick up our free tacos at Taco Bell this afternoon. We got free drinks -- because we aren't 21 any longer :rolleyes: -- and with other items to fill out the menu, it only came to $5. Not a bad lunch treat.

From there we went to pick up a few groceries at the store we don't shop as often. They were offering a 10 cent fuel reward just for buying something and we could pick up a pound of butter for 99 cents.

Rather than be total tightwads, we did pick up some other items for which they offered some personalized coupons -- 25 cent yogurt, laundry detergent, a 35 cent can of soup (they even had low sodium!) and a couple frozen sweet and sour entrees that were B1G1. Hadn't ever tried the brand before. There wasn't much in the box, but I guess it was a change of pace.

After years of unsuccessfully playing a "Spin and Win" contest (three spins every single day for months on end) I FINALLY won something -- for the first time ever. Had to fill out a verification form and read the rules which was worded almost as if my name still may have to go into a drawing to get the prize.

The prize won't be mailed until at least eight to 12 weeks AFTER the contest ends in September. So IF I can remember that long, I should be receiving a coupon for a free bottle of juice somewhere around December.

Wonder how much time I've wasted spinning that wheel through the years only to be told the prize won't arrive for another six months? Guess it is something -- if it ever arrives. :p

Don't think I've got @vickib50 's silver touch when it comes to sweepstakes. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Sherri1480, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  5. KmmCo

It did cool off a bit yesterday - low 80's instead of high 90's - which is more normal for June. It has threatened to storm a couple of afternoons, but nothing really came of it.....

Anyway, plugging along at work and eating my sack lunches this week. Trying to get a few little chores done in between work and sleep. We decided to stay home Thursday and do something fun with DS for his birthday (or at least take him out to lunch). We will leave for KS at dawn on Friday, so we can beat most of the rush hour traffic out of town......

Sherri1480, Gardencook and jcdamomma like this.
  6. KmmCo

Bought a few gift cards ($65) for 4x fuel points and stuck them in the suitcase for our road trip tomorrow. I got bread and milk for DS this week and figure he can scrounge in the freezer and pantry for whatever else he might want while DH and I are gone. I also got a pound of lunchmeat and will take half and leave half here. Shopping done and both vehicles are gassed up too.

All 3 of us went to lunch at Huhot and got totally stuffed. Fun but a little expensive - glad we don't do that too often.

Sherri1480, jastwins and jcdamomma like this.
  7. Gardencook

Took a short day trip yesterday. After living here 35 years I FINALLY made it to Craters of the Moon National Monument when the wildflowers were blooming -- not an easy task after years of a husband with crazy work schedules and sick parents. DH used to commute out there everyday to work, but of course, a commuter bus is NOT a tour bus so never saw too much of them.

It was COLD at the beginning of the week and the pouring rain wouldn't have made for a great trip. Then the temps were due to skyrocket by the end of the week, so we grabbed Wednesday when things were supposed to be in the 70s. There is ALWAYS wind on the desert, so that helped keep things cool, as well. When temperatures get to 100 out there, the lava floor heats to 150 degrees! So it is always good to plan trips accordingly. :eek:

The Indian Paintbrush, Larkspur, Bitterroot, Monkeyflowers and other beauties are in full bloom right now. Hard to believe ANYTHING can survive in that lava, but we knew the display would be pretty this year with all the rain/snow we've had.

Were running late and hoped to fit in a quick run through EBR-1 -- the nation's first nuclear power plant. We got there a half hour before the sign said it closed, so knew time would be tight and we'd only have about 20 minutes. However, a rude employee greeted us at the door and informed us we could have only 10 minutes, because she was going to catch a bus and preferred closing at 4:45 NOT the 5 p.m. promised on the sign.

No way to read the self-guided tour signs in that amount of time and she wasn't volunteering to assist so we just left. The museum is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, so I've never been there when it was open before. Finally got there after 35 years and I still haven't seen it.

The university offered a free concert on the quad tonight, so we took advantage of that. Stopped by Jamba Juice for B1G1 juice to drink while waiting for the concert. Treated ourselves to a $3 BBQ dinner the university offered, as well. They were asking for donations for the college food pantry, so we dropped off some cans, as well.

8. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

@Gardencook, please pardon my ignorance, but, what is the university near you? I fear my knowledge of all things "American" is not good outside the south, or as we call it, "God's country."

9. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

This morning, I had free time since my student did not show up to take their test. I updated my resume, and typed up 2 letters to post for extra job openings in my school. One pays well and is a year long job. The other pays hourly (a great rate) and is after school as needed. My lack of confidence prevented me from applying the other 2 years. Even though I have to re-apply for my present job, I will not doubt myself and believe I will have have the same position next year. They are even talking about expanding my position to 2 people and I would be one of them. The chance to earn extra money would be great.

This weekend, I have to pack to go to D2's school orientation on Monday and Tuesday, get gas and a monthly pass of 10 ferry tickets. For $57 I can buy 10 trips, but if I pay for a single trip each day, I would spend almost $30. At least I paid for the second, longer ferry trip last month and although it is not cheap, it is a huge timesaver and no tolls. AS a rewards member, at least one ferry trip was $30 cheaper than the other.

Last night was not frugal, ($90 for 3 dinners) but in the end, I was glad I attended the Yearbook dinner. D3 is the yearbook editor and she made me very proud. She was this shy girl who has blossomed into a lovely young lady. The yearbook was dedicated to a teacher who has been very ill this past year. Her family surprised her by bringing her to the dinner and there was not a dry eye in the place. It was so good to see her and hug her. A year ago, she had not been feeling well, but kept on doing what she was great at and that was being a teacher. You will not find a more dedicated and devoted teacher. I hope she will beat this illness and come back to teach our students. She is so greatly missed.

I will be having immediate family coming out to the graduation and need to plan a menu. To save costs, I will cook the food myself and hope I can get this done in the 3 days I have at home next week since graduation is June 24th. I need to raid the pantry to see what is available. I may opt for baked ziti with sauasge and maybe fillet mignon or sirloin steaks on the grill. I will see what is going to be cheaper. Sometimes the butcher gives Crankie a deal, but his prices have gone up this year. For lunch, I will have hotdogs and hamburgers/sliders. WE need to pick up soda and water. I will have Crankie get the beer/wine. I plan to shop with some extra coupons I received in the mail this week.

10. Gardencook

You're not ignorant Vicki, there are so many universities in this nation it is impossible to stay on top of them all. lol!

We've got Idaho State University here, and frankly even though I've only taken a class or two for fun there I've got a closer attachment to it than I ever had to the colleges in Washington where I attended. ;) ISU is a BIG part of our community.

The state Museum of Natural History is located there.

We've got a beautiful world-class performing arts center with accoustics that consistently place it among the top 10 in the nation. Can't afford tickets to most of the big names that come here, but once in awhile we get to a smaller concert or community concert there. That's where we saw the Irish Rovers a few months ago. With no support pillars to block views and a smaller hall than you get in big cities, there isn't a bad seat in the house.

There is more than one theater in the same building and we enjoyed Fiddler on the Roof in one of the smaller theaters there the other night. We'd never attended a performance in that theater before. It was almost "in the round," so we were immersed in the play with actors singing in the aisles. That worked pretty well for something like Fiddler.

The university also holds performances in some of the older theaters in other buildings that were around before the performing arts center was built.

If you don't mind waiting a bit longer to see movies, the university has a theater in the student union building where the general public can enjoy second-run movies for $3 each.

The film society offers some more "high-brow," educational or independent films which don't generally hit the traditional theaters. We've been to several of those this year -- when they were only $2 each and a couple of the educational movies were free. They had to agree to hike prices with new contract negotiations with the university, so we'll have to cough up $3 (gasp) for the movies we want to see next season. :p

Every three years the Idaho International Choral Festival is held here and choirs from around the world converge so we get to see amazing talent from every nation imaginable. The university offers free "sample" concerts on the quad each day at lunch during the festival as well as larger evening concerts.

We've also got a huge indoor football complex -- even though this isn't the place to come if you want to root for college football. o_O Holt Arena used to host the Dodge National Circuit Finals Rodeo each year -- until another city lured it away. They get a lot of Monster Truck Rallies and such at the arena.

We have the Simplot Games there each winter, which brings high school track athletes from all across the nation, Canada and New Zealand to compete. Spectators are welcome free-of-charge there, as well. Haven't gotten over there for a few years, but since DH ran track in high school, he always enjoys it.

We just became aware of the "Concerts on the Quad" last summer at the end of the season, but intend to enjoy more of them this summer. Hard to beat a free concert, cheap food and a venue where you can be comfortably back in your home for the evening within 15 or 20 minutes after the concert ends. That's one of the advantages I DO appreciate about living in a smaller community.

11. vickib50

We have the Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Center here in Fort Myers. Debby Boone was here in March and I hear that "Hamilton" will be here the 2018-2019 season. Boone performed with the local orchestra. It wasn't a "pop tunes" night at all like you would expect from her. I didn't go as the tickets started around $95.

I think there are three universities and a couple of community colleges in Fort Myers, @Gardencook. I have not looked into any entertainment opportunities at any of them. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.

12. Gardencook

David Archuleta will be here tonight @vickib50.

He is BIG in our region due to his religion. DH worked with a gal who traveled all over to see his various concerts. ;) People were driving back home in the middle of the night after watching him in Salt Lake -- then going to work the next morning, others were simply adding the cost of a hotel room to the ticket price and taking vacation days.

Tickets for tonight's concert have been sold out for months, but we didn't even check the cost. Out of our price-range, I'm sure.

He isn't performing at the university, but a big outdoor amphitheater they've just built. It is within sound-range of our house, so although we won't hear the music I'm sure we'll hear "loudspeaker noise."

The Piano Guys will be at the university shortly, but again we haven't seriously considered. Tickets start close to $100 and the "good" seats are $200 each. We're not quite that "fan"-atical!

Was just looking up the free "Concert on the Quad" performers for the next several weeks. They're mostly "trying-to-gain-fame" performers, but the price is right. There's a gal next week who doesn't really excite us, but if we're bored ...

The fellow after that definitely isn't our style, but a week or two later there is a pop violinist coming who may have potential. We'll see ...

The municipal band Sunday evening concerts in the park will be starting the week after next. I made a point of tracking down the start date. The band doesn't have a website or Facebook page, the city doesn't seem to mention the concerts in its posts and generally speaking the concert season is almost over each summer before we remember. Don't want to make that mistake this year!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  13. amber g

amber g Well-Known Member

So instead of full time day care this summer my girls are staying home one full day a week by themselves, this saves me $200 a month. I tried for 2, but they were bored so we backed down to one. My son goes 4 full days. Then on Fridays when I work 4 1/2 the girls stay home and Drew goes to work with me. Well today they all decided they wanted to go. My work is very flexible and since the kids entertain themselves and each other it's no trouble. After work they convinced me to take them to Culvers for lunch $30 for the 4 of us. Have you ever had a time when you convince your kids to try something they swear they won't like and then they love it. Well right now it is onion rings, and that is an upcharge at Culvers. After lunch we went to the bank to withdraw money for the sitter for the next 2 weeks. After that stopped by Walmart for a birthday card for a friend and a Father's day card for hubby and a small gift and treat. Then we headed to CVS. I don't know if any of you are CVS shoppers, I wasn't until the last few months, now I am addicted. In the last 2 weeks I have gotten 2 boxes of hair color, 4 loreal shampoo/conditioner, 2 small things of ibuprofen, 2 lip balms, and today 4 dove shampoo/conditioner completely free. It is a great place to stock up on toiletries!!! After that we headed to the library to sign up for the summer reading program and check out some books. I am not a big reader, mainly because of limited time. I really wanted to check out a Dave Ramsey book, but they were all gone. Tomorrow we are going to list some more items for sale. We have $60 in sales pending pick up tomorrow if they show up.

14. vickib50

@amber g, good that you finally "discovered' CVS! It is a gold mine. Don't forget your phone apps of ibotta, Checkout51, and savingstar. You will get a bundle back on those. Register your CVS store card on savingstar and it makes the rebate process so much easier.

Onions rings. Your kids didn't think they'd like them. Well, don't introduce them to all the "expensive" foods at one time! They'll break the bank!

15. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

We're busy!

I took boxes to a lady in my mom's group who was moving to TX (military move), and she gave me the entire contents of her pantry, fridge, and freezer. They were over the weight limit, and there are rules regarding moving food anyway. We're talking 12 grocery bags full.

I shared a bunch with my local Buy Nothing group, and a friend who is in need of some help.

Commodities is at the food bank this week. We're low on meat and cheese, so fingers crossed for that. And milk, I always hope for milk.

We're totally taking advantage of free lunch for all kids 18 and under this summer too. We can get the kids breakfast and lunch at our local school and YMCA for free all summer!

It's about 100 outside, so we closed the house up at 10:30 and set the thermostat to 83. All the shades are drawn and the fans are going. If we run the AC a few times this month, I'm ok with that. We had a $26 gas and electric bill in April (State climate credit), so I've still got a little wiggle room in the budget.

Other than that, school is out and summer school for DS starts on the 26th. We're going to do a lot of hiking, playing, and swimming this summer.

I'm doing some cleaning and purging today. I've got tons of posts on my local Buy Nothing group.

Later I'm going to pick up a new to us grill from a friend. It needs to be cleaned up, but other than that it's ready for a new propane bottle and it'll be dinner time!! WOO HOO! And a friend who is moving to AL gave us a patio umbrella. Our patio is going to look great, I am excited. Depending on what kind of flowers the 99 cents store has, I may pick up some new potted plants this week to spruce up my planters. They are looking a little sparse. Since we'll be spending a lot of time at home this summer (no vacation planned and DS has at home therapy twice a week), I want to house to look a bit nicer.

16. Gardencook

Gotta make decisions about tonight's entertainment. Movie or concert?

There is a free Concert on the Quad, with the female vocalist who doesn't excite us -- a bit too much of Carrie Underwood/Taylor Swift wannabe for our taste. She's probably good enough, just not our style of music.

Meanwhile, the Film Society has been having a tough time getting the okay from the university to hold movies in the campus theater. The movies were always held on Sunday and the university has been determined to close the buildings on Sunday -- all next school year, not just for the summer. They first moved to day we couldn't go, but now put them mid-week.

They gave everyone a chance to voice opinions and of course, the movie we wanted to see lost. :( The one they're showing tonight doesn't look bad, it is just a disappointment that we can't see the other one. Wish they had shown both of those movies instead of the ones that didn't interest us the past few weeks.

We'll probably end up going anyway to show support. At least this is a day we can get to it. I do wish we'd remembered it was playing last night, however. It would have been better for us to go then.

They've hiked the price with the renegotiation, so we'll have to pay $3 instead of $2 now, but guess we'll survive.

17. KmmCo

That house in KS is finally gonna be on the market on Monday!!! We got it 99.9% cleaned out and I have one more trip down in July to get just a few pesonal effects and finish some cleanup. Next trip after that will be for closing hopefully! I will update some more in a bit as DH is bugging me to go on an errand now....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  18. KmmCo

I bought 2 boxes full of assorted boxed goods and snacks at Aldi to bring home from KS. I am making a "hamburger helper " for dinner either tonight or tomorrow with some burger from the freezer. Depends on if DH gets done installing the microwave before dinner tonight. Plan B is carry out pizza! (We got home at 2 am. Slept, did a couple of errands, and headed to the mountain condo by 2 pm. Staying here to go to HOA meeting in am on Sat.)

I mostly made sandwiches for lunch there in Kansas. Too hot for cooking...We used gift cards for a couple of dinners out, so no additional out of pocket. DH did cook one meal of chicken fajitas and we had leftovers as nachos later in the week. I brought 2 packages of chicken from home and the other went into a chicken pasta dinner skillet.

Enjoying the cool weather up here for sure. High 60's and sunny here.:D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.
  19. Gardencook

Nothing too thrilling here. Had a fiasco with a mother screaming at us at a restaurant the other night. She had already ruined our dinner. Why stick around for her scene and ruin everyone else's? We just ended up leaving and eating at home because we hadn't even ordered yet when she started yelling at us. That nixed our movie plans. With the heat I haven't felt like doing much since.

That left us with a few too many stores to visit this afternoon and my knee is feeling it tonight. Waited till Friday on two of the stores to get double weekend fuel points, but really should have hit the others Thursday.

Picked up some great markdowns at the first place. They had just dumped a bunch of gourmet bruschetta and pesto in the discount bin for 75 percent off. Regularly sells close to $5 a jar, but we could actually afford it at $1.29. The box boy certainly seemed interested. Apparently he'd never heard of it before.

Also got some markdown produce there along with soda pop which was cheaper than at the sister store. That was the reason we went there in the first place.

Hit our favorite discount store. Picked up bread there today. The bread they sell is a local brand with ingredients which are all identifiable. It tastes just like homemade and is four loaves for $3.87, so the price really can't be beat, but it is usually easier to pick up bread with additives at the grocery store when it goes on sale for $1.29 or less about every other week, so DH usually just wants to pick it up there

Now after weeks of big purchases, I finally again saw the discount store sign that said we could use the $5/$25 discount up to five times. I thought that was the case when we bought the discount card. Then I never saw the sign again. The book that comes with the card says one use not five and thought I'd been mistaken. We used it the once weeks ago, but could have been getting $5 off practically all our purchases since then ... if I'd known. Seems the place I saw the sign was at a register which is rarely open.

The manager explained how it worked and told us the girl hadn't even punched our cards several weeks ago, so we'll get an extra $5. Now we've got four more punches -- but only have until August 31 to use them!

Meanwhile, they've been putting food out for weeks and virtually all our purchases have been more than $25, but they are beginning to run out of many things so our future purchases won't be as high. Got good enough deals anyway, I guess.

As I've explained so often, this store has a way of making sales complicated. If their prices weren't so good, I'd probably be angry about that. :p

We've got to remember that if they do the same deal this year. The cards cost $25 and the store gives you $25 in discounts just for buying the card -- which it sells. Meanwhile, there are B1G1 deals for use all over the region -- including restaurants, performing arts and various attractions. We've gone to a concert, a play, have another play coming and still have to visit our local zoo. We missed the Rome exhibit in another city due to poor weather -- however, combined with the restaurant deals it has definitely paid for itself -- and we've hardly used any of the restaurant discounts yet. Winter was so severe, we didn't feel like going out.

Went by the store at the other end of town. At least the clerks are friendly there now, but they still run out of things a lot. Today they only had one jar of dill pickle relish when I had a coupon good on two. Had to pick up sweet pickle relish for the other jar, and since it was only 25 cents a jar a/c I didn't squabble. However, then they didn't even have shelf space for the kidney beans shown in the ad. Since they were only 25 cents a can a/c I ended up substituting black beans instead and no one seemed to know much about the toilet paper that was supposed to be 12 rolls for $2.99. Had to get a rain check on that.

Anyone who comes after us will find it emptied of pastrami luncheon meat, because I bought the last four packages of it. At least I got some. It was the small 2-ounce packages and I had enough coupons to buy 10 packs for 30 cents each. Mostly wanted turkey, but they only had a few packs left after I bought six of them.

We accomplished what we went in for, however. We got a special offer of a 10 cent fuel reward if we purchased ANYTHING. They did have the one pound bag of organic carrots on special for 66 cents. Would have bought more items if they'd had them, but we got a bag of groceries for $5 and it was enough to get us the fuel reward. Now we've got 20 cents that doesn't expire until the end of next month, since they gave us the same offer a few weeks ago.

20. KmmCo

Home at last! Ended up eating leftover pizza last night and just brought the hamburger home to cook tonight. We ate lunch at Dickeys on the way home. I ran in and got a gift card at Kroger to get the fuel points for that meal. I have $2 left on the card for another time.....

We are gonna have to run to the store for sodas in a bit as DS drank most of them while we were gone. That is my only money spending for the rest of the day today....

Sherri1480 and jcdamomma like this.