Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Ran to Kroger and picked up a few items because I had store coupons expiring... Free Jif peanut butter, free Kroger cheese slices, free sour patch candy. I bought 1/2 dozen donuts (1.99 -.75 coupon), frozen garlic toast ($1.99 -.40 coupon), and some Noosa yogurt ($1.50 - .50 coupon), so 6 items came to less that $4.

I saw that they are doing 4x fuel points on gift cards, so I may pick up $100 worth on Monday to get the gas discount. Prices are going up a lot on gas - it was $2.29 here today.

I am off to the jolly land of work this afternoon! Summer shift bidding is pretty well done and I will go back to Th, Fri, Sat off in May. I will be carpooling all 4 days instead of battling the train commute.... Th, Fri, Sat is DH's days off as well so I will see more of him too....

Sherri1480, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  2. KmmCo

Went to Chilis for lunch with DS . I had a gift card (purchased from last months budget) and I spent $10 out of pocket for the remainder of the bill and the tip. I had just a tiny bit of leftover chicken fajita that I brought home. It will supplement one of my work lunches this next week. Since Chilis was near Costco we stopped in for a few items. I picked up 8 things for $51 - 3 of them had instant rebates. My main reason for going in was to get the jumbo peanut butter jars. I like keeping a couple of jars in the pantry and we only have the little free one that I opened yesterday. (18 oz jars don't last long around here. All three of us seem to end up making sandwiches at some point each week.)

I will make either lasagna or some chicken teriyaki for dinner tonight that I bought out of the frozen foods section. Which ever one I don't cook will stay in the freezer for next week.

Gonna try and get DS out for a hike this afternoon at a nearby open space park. The rest of my day is laundry, dishes, and housecleaning :(. I did get to the bank with some cash from the in town renter that has been sitting here for a bit. I put $80 into my vacation savings and the rest into my checking account for bill paying. I also put gas in the SUV ($35) since it was out. I did not fill it up last week at all and had come back from skiing with only a little over a half tank that the guys have been using over the last 10 days.....

All my purchases went on cards that I get points on. I am trying to build my Hilton points up for future trips and I can always use the airline miles. I used 12,000 of my Southwest points this month for the 2 trips to KS that I booked because I wanted to save a little cash. I have second half property taxes due soon and wanted to make sure I didn't have to dip into savings to pay them. When I pay the cards off with online bill pay, I get points on my bank account that I can redeem for cash back. I should reach a $25 reward on that within a month or two....

I ate leftovers for work on Thur and Fri. DH made me tuna helper on Friday evening to take to work on Sat and Sunday. I have one serving left that I will finish off tomorrow while my son is at work. I don't want to eat is again today and it will keep in the fridge okay for one more day...

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Cathy like this.
  3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today, I received an email from Checkout 51 notifying me that my paypal deposit was in my account. It took awhile, but is still faster than waiting for a check. In the mail was a $5 check from Persil that I purchased in February. It will go into my account tomorrow.
    After this weekend, I need to go into a no-spend mode so I can stretch out my one week paycheck. E-Z pass will hit my account and I was able to top off my tank for $20 on our way home today. Over the weekend, I spent $70 on gas. The rest of my money was spent on Chinese take out Saturday night and fast food lunch today. This week & next week, I have to take d2 and D1 for dental appointments and I tacked on a dr appt for D3 next week. If I can get 2 appts in one day, it saves me a trip off island. ( I made the dental appts over 2 1/2 months ago) The hours for the dr. appts are really not conducive for working parents, and while I hate to take a day off, I compromise by leaving early. If appts end at 3:00pm, what do working parents do? You either make the appt on a holiday or a day you know you have off from work. I have to budget in Co-pays for dr. visits. My dental expenses for checkups is covered 100% and fillings should by covered 100% by Crankie's work and union insurances.

After driving over 750 miles this past week, I am exhausted. I will keep my driving to a minimum except for the dentist this week. I still have enough ferry tickets for 2 more rides off the island.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and Cathy like this.
  4. KmmCo

~Lasagna it was for dinner! There was six leftover servings that I packaged for lunches for DS and myself.

~DS decided he just wanted to veg out in the basement, so I just took a walk around the neighborhood. No gas spent to get to the park that way.

~I got a car booked for my next trip to KS. Went thru ebates to hotwire (which had the best prices anyway) for a 4% cash back offer which will give a big $2.25 back. Once again the hot rate was for Hertz, so I am not complaining at all about that. My trip last week has not credited yet to ebates, but the fine print says up to 6 weeks after travel...

~Lunch today is a scrounge in the fridge creation. I had some crescent dough sheet that needed used up. I found some pepperoni and mozzerella and onion. I grabbed pizza sauce out of the pantry and some italian seasoning. The result was something resembling a Stromboli for lunch.... :D.

~Last night I went and got some gift cards for 4X fuel points. Found a good deal on two $25 movie theater cards ($5 off with digital coupon), a $25 Freddys burgers, and $50 SW airline card. $125 worth of cards got me 500 fuel points or .50/off per gallon. My logic for the SW card was that even when I book points flights I have to pay the $5.60 in taxes each way, so I can use the card to do that until it is gone.

~picked up my free jello pudding that I forgot about on Sat when I went to the store.

~returned something at the hardware store that I didn't need for $5+ and took a moment to price the type of microwave that I want for my condo. I will get that updated and eventually replace the stove before next ski season. My unit rating put my kitchen at "substandard" on my appliances. If I bring my rating % up then I will get more rentals at higher prices and that is an easy fix. The other things that I am doing is replacing lampshades and towel bars - relatively cheap fixes . I also need to do some touch up painting on the base boards. The big expense will be the fireplace fix up this year, but that is one thing that is my big desire to do for my own pleasure.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  5. KmmCo

Used my bus pass to go about 20 minutes from my house and take a walk on a nice greenway trail by the river. I felt like a little exercise was what I needed today, and the change of scenery was really pleasant. :) I have zero entertainment $ left this month because I put the deposit down on next years ski pass and then bought those movie gift cards to use later. Walking/Hiking is a great free thing to do now that the weather is nice.

I ran a load of my son's work clothes because he was pretty wiped out from the busy weekend and didn't do any of his laundry yesterday. I found $6 still in his pockets. Normally I would say the one that does the laundry keeps it, but it was some tip money that he really worked hard for. I will be nice and go put it downstairs on his desk for him:).

I am gonna heat up my tuna helper that I need to finish up and just veg out in front of the TV for a while tonight. I might do a survey or two later if I get really enthused to do something usefull...

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  6. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

Headed to a grocery store today, but of course ... what we went for wasn't in stock. There were only two cans of VERY sticky tomato paste when I needed 10 to use with a 5x coupon good on two cans. They made me buy the two cans at that store, which meant I could only use the coupon one time.

They have ordered more, which we will get at the price we would have paid with coupon, but in the hassle I forgot to use a $4 coupon so didn't exactly save much. Wouldn't have purchased the two bottles of shampoo without it, but hate to keep pestering them. I'll have to think about going back, but will probably end up doing it. I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to refund the two bottles and then re-ring them with the coupon.

We were headed to another grocery store which had Stove Top Stuffing on sale. It is generally the only place we can get the whole wheat variety. The stores we shop most often won't carry it and it is often out of stock at the other store.

However, we hadn't been to our favorite discount store in a while and it is on the way to the other store clear on the other side of town. The discount store had a RARE find -- whole wheat Stove Top! It is the store with the complicated sales, but we ended up getting 12 boxes for $3.60. Instead of the B1G1 at 79 cents I expected, she charged 40 cents each for nine boxes then gave us three free. You're never quite sure what you'll pay at that store, but it is often a REALLY good deal. :p

We also found four boxes of Kashi cookies ( 75 cents for three with one free), five Lara Bars (39 cents each with one free), and three packs of whole grain flour tortillas for 79 cents each. If they had a fourth one, I would have gotten that one free, but they didn't. Even picked up four more bottles of low sodium Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce for $4.47 total.

Getting Stove Top there pretty well negated the need to go to the other store where it was on sale for $1.50 a box. Could have gone to the other store for some cheap cilantro, a cheap carton of yogurt and a single box of cheap broth, but it didn't really justify the gas without the stuffing -- especially since some of the clerks have "attitudes."

After that, we swung by Firehouse Subs to use a tax day B1G1 sub coupon that was offered on Facebook. However, we learned they've gotten rid of DH's favorite sandwich, so he was disappointed. As a matter of fact they've gotten rid of the entire "healthy" line of subs! :(

Paid with a gift card, so no money OOP.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 1:01 AM
    Cathy, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  7. KmmCo

Ran to walmart for TP and laundry soap. I found some ghirardelli chocolate chips and some Sams Choice desert mixes clearance for $1. I am baking some brownies right now to make sure they taste okay. If I like them, then I will go back and buy more mixes. DH wants some more of the semi-sweet chips too. I think I will pick up more white chips and milk chocolate chips because I can use them in trail mixes this summer....

~ picked up some restaurant gift cards at Raise.com. If I am figuring it right, I got them for 16% discount on average. I paid $50.35 for $60 worth of cards ($20 Dickey BBQ, $15 buffalo wild wings, $25 brinkers/chilis) at places that we will frequent at some point over the summer. I might look and see if there is more that I want as I just got an email offer for $10 credit on my next $50+ purchase. The restaurant eating will go up over the summer with DH and I off work together and I figured that I should start stocking up on gift cards that I know I will use....

~no plans for lunch today, but looking in the fridge makes me think I will make some quesadillas. I can make cheese ones for DS and I can use my leftover chicken fajita for mine.

jcdamomma, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  8. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

It's spring break, and I've been trying to keep the kids busy with free activities. We went to the zoo (annual passes), had a few play dates at the park with friends and did a nature based scavenger hunt (free printable).

Boy Kid and I went to a free clothing swap and Easter carnival on Saturday AM, it was small, but I picked up a lot of cute clothes in the next dew sizes for Baby girl, and some really nice PJ's for boy kid.

I've been doing trades, and keeping up on spring cleaning by putting stuff on my local Buy Nothing Group. I had our sitter come yesterday so I could go do some grocery shopping and take a friend over to the food bank.

Today we've got a doctors appt. and I'm taking boy child out to lunch afterwards. Baby Girl will stay with Grandma. Other than that, we are home today to do chores and relax.

Our garden is starting to bloom and grow, and the kids are so excited about being farmers.

jastwins, jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  9. KmmCo

Second trip to walmart - got 2 more brownie mixes, 12 chocolate chips, 1 pkg markdown steaks ($6), hoagie buns, and ice cream. The ice cream had a $4 Ibotta rebate and it cost $4.64 so I had to give it a try! I submitted the rebate to Ibotta already along with a .25 any item rebate. Ibotta balance is now up to $13.45 already. I also put both receipts into savings catcher....

On the chocolate chips, I found some nestle dark chocolate and some butterscotch for $1 too so I included some of those. I am gonna make some steak sandwiches for dinner tonight. I have cheese slices and onion, but I had to buy the hoagie buns at full price ($2.98). Still for $10 I will get dinner plus some leftovers for lunch sandwiches, so I don't think that is too bad of a deal.

I also found a bin of .98 flip flops. I grabbed one pair and will go back to look some more later when I have more time. I like to have a stash for my beach vacations so that I can just toss them when they get stinky instead of trying to put them back in my suitcase. I am down to only one pair now and I have been wearing them around the house lately.

I am going to drop DS off to work so that I can use the vehicle. I think I will go over to that open space park today for my walk since we didn't get over there on Monday. It is about 5-6 miles away from his work. I will just grab a water bottle on the way out the door and head on over for a while.

jastwins, jcdamomma and Sherri1480 like this.
  10. KmmCo

What to do with the scrapings out of the bottom of the brownie pan? A little of that ice cream solved that problem.....:D

I am sure I am eating more calories than I walked off this afternoon, but it sure tastes good! The plus side, no wasted food and a whole lot cheaper than going to Cold Stone or even DQ.

jcdamomma and Cathy like this.
  11. Gardencook

I REALLY should be more grateful ...

I was a "big" winner in the latest online grocery store instant win game, but I always seem to win things that really don't interest us. Don't know how many packages of Skittles I've won in the past -- and that's the only time we eat them. :p

In all fairness I did win a large Reese's bar this time ... in addition to Skittles. :rolleyes: And I think I won another can of beef barley soup this time as well as in a previous game.

Haven't gotten around to picking up the other items until today so between Friday frees and instant wins we looked like real junk food junkies.

We got a free Tombstone pizza (not big fans of the brand), free Mozzarella Sticks (have never even bought them before) and a package of corn dogs ( I think I've only had those one time in my entire life and that was at least 15 years ago. Mom just didn't fix them when I was growing up, so I never got in the habit as an adult.)

I thought the win screen said "mini" corn dogs, but the wording on the coupon allowed for any size up to 42.75 ounces and you pay the same price for 23 ounces of minis as you do for nearly 43 ounces of regular size. Couldn't do that, so now we have 16 corn dogs. They're "crunchy honey flavor" so maybe I'll have to pull out some honey mustard sauce for dipping.

We also got a free package of pudding, as well as a free can of Pringles. The store didn't have the small size I'd won, so substituted a larger can -- and at least we got the lower fat ones we prefer. Those are pretty hard to come by in this town.

The stray cats DH feeds will even get a treat with a free and normally VERY expensive pack of cat treats.

The clerk had to adjust the computer on the Pringles substitution. I'd pointed out all the free items earlier, but she wasn't expecting us to walk out with all that for 73 cents, so I did have to explain that all we were paying for today were red band bananas. I explained I didn't want to make it any more confusing than it already was, so we focused on the frees and didn't pick up many other groceries today ... she thanked me! ;)

And I've got to say while I wasn't looking forward to it, a dinner of free pizza and free mozzarella sticks tastes better than expected!

jcdamomma, Cathy and jastwins like this.
  12. Gardencook

... and the crunchy honey corn dogs were lighter and had better flavor than the corn dog I remember eating at a potluck many years ago. Maybe those were just a poor brand, or had been in the oven too long. Who knows?

Anyway, two free meals I dreaded this week have actually been better than expected. Guess things are looking up! :p

Didn't go out today, so didn't spend money on that front either.

jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  13. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

My phone and ipad were slow to load up info and I had my nephew look at it over the Easter weekend. The culprit seemed to be the VPN I downloaded last year. It was for some SB points and you enter sweepstakes monthly, but the time I wasted waiting for my phone and ipad to get ready to use was getting to be too much. It is amazing how much faster I can get use my phone and ipad to check on things. Not worth the time to load these for some company to track your internet habits for almost free. They are easy to install and tough to remove.
    Last month, I returned a digital reflections monitor and did get some Sb points for that. Again, not worth the time and points they awarded me.

My one week paycheck can only stretch so far, and I will call my credit card company to let them know that my payment will be late. I can set it up with them over the phone to deduct it next week and they will not charge a late fee. It is the only card company that let me catch up on my payments when I was between jobs and I want to stay on their good side. I do not use the card and am just paying off the balance, but the let me keep the card open and I am grateful.
    For next week, I need to have gas money and money for the subway when we go to the city. Over the weekend, I will post some things to sell on Ebay and hope to add to my paypal account. Today, after work, I need to redeem my bottles and cans at the IGA. Last week, when D1 cleaned out her room, she had 10 empty water bottles in there and that was an extra dollar for me.
    Dinner tonight will be something from the freezer since I am not going shopping. I hope to find something easy to make since I am tired and it is raining today. Maybe a pasta and sausage dish? We'll see, but I know it is in the freezer and pantry and that is a money saver for me.

Gardencook, Cathy and jcdamomma like this.
  14. Gardencook

Well, we swallowed our pride and went back on the shampoo coupon that didn't get used at the store the other day. They were really good about it. $4 is still $4.

It actually worked out well that we went. I found a couple canisters of my favorite brand of gourmet cocoa in the discount bin for $1.19 each. It retails for at least $4. It is a regional brand with such interesting flavors. Today it was chocolate coconut.

That store always gets rid of the brand when the weather gets warmer. I've picked up chocolate mint, creme de menthe, chocolate with peppermint candy, dark chocolate, chocolate peanut butter cup, chocolate hazelnut and I don't know what all in the discount bin through the years. Never had the coconut one before though! ;)

That is the store that always tosses health foods in the discount bin rather than stock them, so I found a 12-ounce bag of quinoa marked down to $1.45 today -- and thanks to a coupon from @jastwins -- picked it up for 45 cents after coupon.

The store was supposed to have a really good deal on gourmet wraps, however, I didn't bother to print the coupons until I checked to see if they were in stock. They weren't. :( Usually, the only time I find them here is when the warehouse sends them and they toss them in the discount bin rather than stick them on the shelf. A two hour round trip to the store I know carries them would wipe out all the savings, however.

The handle on our storm door sheared off the other day, so we picked up another. Had to get the clerk to climb to the ceiling for it since the shelf was empty. I had a gift card earned on rewards programs, so nothing OOP.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    KmmCo, jcdamomma and jastwins like this.
  15. KmmCo

Going to Ks tomorrow. My Sunday carpool is on vacation so I had DS drop me at the rail station for work. I brought my suitcase and will change after work and then go sleep at the airport. That saves me a big trip home and frees up the car for the family while I am gone. I will meet with a real estate agent on Monday afternoon and then work on the mowing.

jastwins, jcdamomma and Cathy like this.