Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

I remembered that I had a couple of Friday frees to pick up at Kroger. I got my YES soup and my Hersheys cookie bar for free. I also found Pillsbury pie crusts marked down to .49 so I grabbed one to make an apple pie tonight. I already had pie filling in my pantry that I needed to use up. I also picked up a .99 (markdown) veggie snack tray to take to work tomorrow.

Also just got a notice that I got $1.37 back on savings catcher for the stuff I bought on Monday!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Lucky1307, Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  2. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Jasmine, you can buy discounted gift cards for Michael's at up to 19% off the face value. Go to giftcard granny . com to see what's available or just google discounted gift cards and find vendors on your own.

Lucky1307, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

You know, Renee, I never plan ahead since D1 pays for her own stuff at Michaels. I just supply coupons or discounts. I will look into giftcard granny for future purchases since Michaels is her favorite place to shop.
    Today is the baby shower for a teacher in our school whose wife is due soon. Luckily, I had purchased a card for a shower last year and did not use it so that saved me some money. I also reused a blue bag from Christmas, so I saved that too. Since the parents to be are both English teachers, I bought books from Amazon for the baby. Some really cute and sweet books are out there now. One of the books is titled, On the Night You were Born, and it is a beautiful sweet story that brought tears to my eyes. I also found a poetry book for babies, entitled I Love You. I also purchased 2 other board books, one about dinosaurs dancing and the other about different kinds of trucks.
    Today, I brought leftovers for lunch. On Saturday, Crankie and I will get our taxes done and I hope we can get a refund. While I am out for the day, I will do some coupon shopping and try to stop at Dollar tree. Also on my list is Kohls since I have gc's from Christmas that I still have to spend. Clearance section, get ready, because I will be looking for some deals.

Lucky1307, Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  4. amber g

amber g Well-Known Member

Had some leftover pork dumplings for lunch leftover from last nights dinner. Hubby made them and they were delicious!! Saw a promo for Instacart they offer grocery delivery. They had a promo with Schnucks $25 off your purchase and my first delivery was free. I spent $37 and after promos, plus a small service charge my total was $19.07. I was able to get several items I was going to pick up tomorrow at Walmart plus some stock up items. It was delivered to my house within 2 hours of my order being placed. Pretty easy, the only wrinkle was the shopper texted me because they were out of the variety of something I ordered. He asked which other I would take, but instead of just switching he actually added another to my order which bumped my total up by $4.25. I was at work so I verified with hubby I only received 1 of the item and then called and was issued a refund for the $4.25. I just have to get home now and make sure the rest of my order is complete. The extra bonus is less time spent in Walmart tomorrow!!!

5. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

The past few days have not been really frugal... BUT- I did pay off our large credit card debt with a portion (ok, like 90%) of our tax refund. So that's INCREDIBLE! We're going to start making extra payments on DH's car to get the loan paid off sooner. Also, we're going to start saving actively again. I jump started that by putting some $$ into our savings account (basically, the rest of our tax refund).

I'm helping a friend sell some of her fabric, she's having health issues, so she can't sew as much. She's giving me 10%, so I'm stoked (she offered me 1/2, but she needs the money).

I picked up a lot of men's clothes off the free section of CL. Some of it is for hubs, some for my friends hubs, the rest is going to go to a clothing swap in early March. I am trying to get the next size up for both kids at the upcoming clothing swap, and some clothes to tie dye over spring break.

Picked up groceries yesterday, which was nice. Our fridge was pretty empty. I've mostly been having soup and toast this week for dinner. Hubs play opens tomorrow, so next week I'll start making dinner again.

Cashed out my available balance at Topcashback, $38!!

Turns out I had a bunch of Sears surprise points, so I chose some new socks (8 pairs!), a new bath towel, and a slotted spoon! I paid less than $2.00 OOP. Bitty and I will go pick it up tomorrow- Hooray for in car delivery!

And my Paypal card has vanished... I called and ordered a new one. I've been cashing out pinecone into Paypal, I'd actually like to send my money!

Lucky1307, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 2 others like this.
  6. amber g

Another grocery store, Shop N Save, was having a promo to use instacart for delivery. I signed my husband up and loaded $35.09 worth of groceries into my cart, when I went to check out it had taken off a $35 credit of my bill. I was not able to get another free delivery, but after I paid $5.99 for delivery my total was only $9.41.

I also did 6 tic tac rebates through Ibotta over this weekend. I spent $6 total on the tic tacs and after rebates and bonuses I got $5 back in Ibotta. 6 tic tacs for $1. These are going in my kids Easter baskets. I also have 5 free candy bar coupons from a sweep I will redeem to put in their baskets.

Sherri1480, Lucky1307 and M_Lexx like this.
  7. M_Lexx

M_Lexx Active Member Trader Group

Not much to write about, as in same old, same old mode.

Meanwhile, our local Walmart realm has yet again beat my expectations on no less than three occasions:

1) I was walking out of the store (again! with onions! and bread!) when I heard (again!) 'Miss, do you have the receipt for your purchases?' behind my back. Turned out some lady tagged along me with a cart full of detergents, electronics, clothes and toiletries. So, my question still remains 'why would it be OK (as per the staff member who stopped the lady above) for me steal $2.00 worth of merchandise and not OK for her to steal $1.500-$2.000 worth of various stuff?" Mind you, I shudder to think that I could have stolen something ... which brings me to the next point;

2) there is one register at self-checkout that rings up stuff but every now and then it misses, e.g. rings up a $1.00 instead of $100.00. So there I was on Thursday, buying various stuff and some items ...canned adult food (aka potted meat) sold in six-packs, set of candles, potatoes, cat litter ... ring up green but don't show on the receipt! I call the clerk and get the most fabulous answer 'did the register go green? it means it got on the bill! you are fine! thank you for shopping at Walmart!" ..... twenty minutes after standing in line to CS guess what answer I got? ... 'did it go green after you scanned it?" Seriously? I mean really? I am right there, reporting a dang register malfunction, and all you can tell me is 'did it go green?' Yes, it did! And yes, I can count in my head since I was six and figure out I am not getting charged items I just have bought, so why on earth do coupon values for the items I don't see or calculate on the receipt get taken off??? Why does the blasted register ring green, take the coupon value off and then ... don't show the item or its value in the receipt but asks for coupons to be inserted into wherever before I can pay? I avoid the particular register like the worst plague, with my luck it will ring a $1.16 cat litter at $116.000.00.

3) clearance items ... I get those. But two cart fulls of M&M's Valentine's Day candy? Literally, I was at Walmart before work, at 7 a.m., and there was a lady who dumped every single one of the said candy box full of M's bags into her carts. When I and two other ladies present at the time asked her if she could spare us a bag each she snarled ... 'I have coupons for all of these!" ... yeah ... okay.

8. jastwins

M_Lexx, your descriptions are why I rarely go to WAlmart. My last trip involved me prodding the cashier to try to put in my SAvings catcher reward of $2.56 after another cashier did not want to help and no manager (about 4 registers away) bothered to show up. All my coupons went in well and I gave her some cash to get my order down to exactly $20. I then used my SBKC $20 visa gc to pay for it. Took about 10 mins, but my OOP for a $33 order came to $6.40 after coupons and gcs.

Today is prom shopping day for D1 and d3. D2 bought her online and it was a bargain that makes her look like a million bucks. Easy to do when you are an XS. I have down loaded the Macys app and there is a coupon for PResidents day that I hope we can use. I will stock up the drinks and snacks and we will eat lunch out today. Also on the agenda is a dr. appt for D3..

I posted something to Ebay last night. On FRiday, I received a $5 rebate that I deposited in the bank.
    My shopping trips over the weekend were a success. In Kohl's I used my Christmas gift card and store credits to pay $11.83 OOP for a Free country fleece lined hooded jacket, 3 shirts, a pair of pants and 7 pairs of socks. CVS was great and I had some awesome deals on detergent, deodorant, razors and hair care. In Dollar Tree, I picked up some cards and used coupons on some much needed Caramex lip balm. Clearance in STaples allowned me to come home with .50 Scotch masking tape, $1 loose leaf, $1 printer paper and a $2 deep plastic container that I will use for my coupons.
    Later, I will post on how well we do at the mall.

Sherri1480 and Lucky1307 like this.
  9. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

Semi-Frugal day yesterday...

We went to Legoland (Free tickets), just Lil' Man and I. He had been saving his allowance to buy some new legos. He didn't spend it all. Used a GC to buy dinner. and I went to bed early last night.

Today is a school holiday, so we're off to the Y in a bit, then over to the park to play for a few hours. We're taking snacks with us. I'm hoping we'll meet up with some friends.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  10. KmmCo

Hey ladies, I had problems with the clerks at walmart figuring out how to do my savings catcher gift cards too. I just ended up finally putting the gift card on walmart pay so that I can do it myself..... Lack of training for the clerks is what I would say is a big part of the problem.

Nothing new here. I sack lunched it the last 4 days and the only money I spent was to gas up the car before going to work on Thursday.

Gonna head back up the hill to the ski condo today for my "weekend". I just need to finish laundry and then I need to buy a few groceries this week. I did cash out a $25 gift card for the dreaded Walmart this week on Ibotta, so I will use that today. Hopefully that will cover most of what I need today. Now I just have to come up with a plan for 3 dinners and 2 lunches this week. I am out of eggs too and like to have a few of those around for breakfast options and baking.....

Sherri1480, Lucky1307 and jastwins like this.
  11. amber g

I was feeling great with some of my frugality, then we decided to do taxes last night. Not only am I not getting a refund, I usually get a small one, I actually owe and not a small amount :( Feeling frustrated, I will have to use some savings to pay the amount due and then work again to get my savings back up. I am grateful that I have the ability to pay it without worrying, that is why we have worked so hard to have money in savings, for situations like this. But, I am still completely bummed because I am working so hard to budget and save to reach my goals for this year. Venting over.........I will work to tackle this and then get back on track with my goals.

So I had $374.XX in my house fund to make an extra payment toward my house. I went ahead and transferred that amount into savings. I should now have close to enough extra in my savings to cover the cost of the cow we are picking up this weekend. So now the concentration will be on the tax bill :(

12. KmmCo

~made a couple of small pizzas for lunch today. I used a flatbread mix and pizza sauce that I had in my pantry. The fridge yeilded onion, pepperoni, and not enough mozzarella. I made one pizza with the mozzerella and one with some cheddar jack cheese which we had in abundance. I added a bit of Parmesan to both pizzas. (That was leftover from last weeks chicken parmesan).

~Tomorrow I am doing a pork roast in the crockpot with a honey/garlic/soy sauce (internet recipe). I will do some carrots and a few fresh peas that I have already as a side. Maybe some rice too if I get the energy to do that. I got the pork roast out of the freezer to thaw already....

Dinner tonight is chili dogs. I grabbed some beef franks at walmart - I already had buns leftover from something DH made for himself - they needed used up anyway....

At walmart, I got quite a few odds and ends including lunch meat, cheese, and lots of eggo waffles. Spent $20+ after the gift card but was able to claim $6.50 at Ibotta. I just looked and noticed I got $3 in bonuses as well!:D I brought up a few waffles for breakfast tomorrow since I had left some syrup here....

13. jastwins

Today was not the most frugal day, but I did not expect it to be. WE are up 2 more prom dresses and both girls are paying for them. I will give them each $50 towards their dresses. In Macy's they would only give you the sale price if you used your Macy's card and I got rid of mine years ago. Their interest is way too high. D3's size was not in stock so It was ordered and at least I got free shipping. One thing I would have done differently is to have paid by my debit card and not the way they did it. I brought cash and the woman said you had to use a card. When I questioned it, she told me she would try to use cash. What she did was buy a gc with the cash and use the gift card to pay for it. My only concern is if we have to return her dress, would I get store credit, a gc or cash? I hope it fits and we do not have to return it. D2 ordered hers online and got the best deal.

D1 found a dress in Macy's she liked, but the price was high. She put it back and asked me to take her to DAvid's bridal, about 5 mins away by car. This worked out great, she found a beautiful dress for less than the cost of the Macy's dress, and shoes to match on clearance for $12.49.
    Before we got to the mall, I stopped at Tuesday Morning. I found a few items on clearance and a sign said additional 25% off all clearance. A woman taps me on the shoulder and asks me about the discount, telling me that the cashier did not tell her the right price. The cashier told her the system deducts the discount but the product she was buying had 2 labels. It seems that the cashier would not take off the additional 25%. My cashier did deduct it correctly and she helped the lady who inquired about the discount.
    This week, I will work at my bank job and hope to do some double dollar coupon shopping at a nearby King Kullen. I will bring lunch from home and buy a ferry ticket for the week tomorrow morning. My friend has Amazon prime and I asked her to order special insoles that are only available on Prime. She is a doll and I know she will order it for me. I have the money on the side to pay her.

14. KmmCo

Ski day was good, but a bit too warm. It is supposed to cool off tomorrow and maybe snow a little bit over the next couple of days though. It was a no spending day as well. I was gonna buy my son a beer at happy hour, but he had already headed back to the condo so I skipped it too ....

The crockpot pork that we had for dinner was only okay, so I am not keeping that recipe. The pork roast was actually too big for the small crockpot, so I cut a piece off and put it in the fridge. I will take it home and make something from it for dinner tomorrow night.

~ For lunch we had ham & cheese sandwiches and some Sunchips that I had brought from home.

15. KmmCo

~ We got home just in time for lunch, so I heated up the leftover pizza from Monday. DS and I split the last piece of apple pie that was in the fridge from last week.

DH had actually unloaded the dishwasher and started refilling it, so I finished reloading it and got it started already. I am gonna clean out the fridge later and will have do another load this evening. I have a load of laundry that I brought home with me today to do later as well...

The weather is beautiful and I am gonna make it a point to walk over to the park and do a couple of laps around the pond today. When the cold front moves in tonight it might bring a little rain/snow mix with it.

~ In the mail was a coupon for a free grands biscuit can. I am not sure what the source of that was, but I will gladly use it!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Sherri1480 likes this.
  16. amber g

So yesterday I hit someones car mirror with my mirror, totally careless and totally my fault. I left a note and the gentleman called me and said he thought $75 for the part and labor would cover it, so I took him a check last night. He lives right down the street from me, but I don't know him. He said it was no big deal, accidents happen. I was relieved, there was not much damage at all, but the hassle for him should be considered as well.

Yesterday I was given my annual review. I was given a decent size bonus that will cover a good portion of my taxes due. The bummer is I knew I would probably get something so I had planned to put that in my vacation fund. Good news is it was more than I expected. Hubby thinks he will get a bonus coming up in the next month or so. I do not plan on this bonus so if he does, it will go into the vacation fund.
    Trying to buckle down and leave as much left over in my budget as possible in February. It is looking pretty good. My grocery bill this week should be pretty minimal thanks to my instacart deal. I also did a boxed deal for some cereal and chips. It was a decent deal and I get $7.xx back in Ibotta. Tonight hubby will go to Aldi and I may try to get to Walmart as well. This weekend we leave Friday to pick up our cow. My in-laws are watching the kids so free babysitting.

Next weekend I am going to try and get hubby to go through the garage and see what auction purchases he has in there that he can sell. The kids are also ready for spring/summer clothes so that is on the list to do. I have a good amount left in this months clothing budget I will roll over to next months clothing budget just to make sure I have enough, with 3 kids it adds up fast.

17. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

How wonderfully refreshing to see someone taking responsibility and being honest. That is becoming SO rare. Kudos to you and thank you for making my day.

Sherri1480, jastwins and amber g like this.
  18. KmmCo

The leftover bit of pork roast got shoved in the oven with some baking potatoes. I seasoned it with some pork rub that I had in the spice cabinet.

I cooked all the potatoes that I had (5 total). I figured the extra baked potatoes will be used up in some way this week. I have some chili left from the chili dogs, so that will probably go on one for a work lunch this weekend.

I stopped at the thrift store on the way home from dropping DS at work. Spent some of my "entertainment" money on a couple of books, a couple of brand new oven mitts, and a package of brand new kitchen towels. Some of my kitchen towels are getting pretty worn and today I couldn't even find the one oven mitt that I still have around here. I looked in the dirty laundry basket and it wasn't there, so I will have to ask DH what he did with it while I was gone.
    --------------
    My comforter at the condo was missing and I had a thin hotel style bedspread in place instead. A voicemail to the property manage got answered at last today. It was sent out for cleaning since the guest this holiday weekend vomited on it - yuck!!! A little too much Apres ski drinking is my guess on that one.... Anyway, I am glad the housekeeping got it taken care of - another reason it is nice just to pay for the property manager instead of trying to do it all myself. (The condo looked like it was kind of a rush job anyway since the person checked out on Monday. Usually the weekend guests go home on Sunday, so nobody is there on Sunday nights.) They didn't give me any of those obnoxious bottles of wine this week and they didn't even put in a new kitchen scrubbie or replace the ink pens that the guest made off with. The pots were just thrown haphazardly in a cabinet that I don't usually keep them in.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  19. Gardencook

Gardencook Well-Known Member Trader Group

We haven't had much to report around here lately. DH has been working on an organization project he's been promising me for years, so we haven't been leaving the house much.

We've got plenty of food on hand, so our meals have been a hodge podge of whatever we felt like at the time. No real menus AT ALL.

Hadn't been to my favorite discount store for a couple months, so we decided to head over there yesterday for a change of pace. Spent a little over $25, but got some really good deals.

Of course, I just remembered I had a discount card that would have given us an additional $5 off. I'll have to remember that before it expires in August.

They'd gotten in a load of Soy Vay products and I couldn't resist. They had Veri Veri Teriyaki and Hoisin Garlic Sauce. :)

Thought all the teriyaki sauce was the same at first, then I noticed I'd chosen regular teriyaki and they had low-sodium as well, so I did a quick switch.

@greenfrog57 and @3timesoccermom will be envious. It was 99 cents a bottle. On most food items at that store, when you buy three identical items you get the fourth one free -- so basically 75 cents a bottle after discount. Pull date isn't till the end of the year.

Would have preferred Island Teriyaki, but at that price I'll add my own pineapple. lol!

They also had green taco sauce for 89 cents a bottle with an extra B1G1 -- so 45 cents each. Been having a hard time getting a decent deal on salsa verde at the supermarket for many months. Seems our stores don't offer it on brands that go on sale and I cringe when I see the regular price on competing brands.

They'd apparently done a buy out of a drug store, because they gotten in a big shipment of items they normally don't carry. I found Natural Dentist Mouthwash, which I love to keep on hand -- when we can find in stock at a store for a decent price. It is a good product, but generally $7.99 a bottle. OUCH!

I was able to get four bottles for $2.99 each and they had two more that were dented, but not leaking for $2 each.

Did get a couple boxes of Traditional Medicinals tea two for 50 cents each after B1G1. I haven't ever tried "Nighty Night" before, but thought it would be handy to have on hand.

DH also got a couple packs of oatmeal cookies for 45 cents each after a B1G1 sale. He already launched into them last night, so they won't last long.

We'll be headed out of town for a day trip tomorrow. DH wants to hear a speaker. He contacted a couple publications which are interested. He won't earn a huge amount on either story, but one publication will pay mileage so no fuel costs -- and it will give him a chance to mingle with potential employers.

I'll be able to hit a discount store I haven't been to in months. I've got some $5 off $25 purchase coupons that ran in the newspaper last month. Couldn't get up there then due to the weather.

There is no expiration date listed. Since it is a small family-run store I hope they didn't consider the deal over when the month ended. They aren't running the coupons this month.

Got coupons in the mail yesterday for a chain we don't have here. Thought maybe we'd drop in tomorrow while we were near -- until we noticed it was a "President's Day" sale. The coupons expired several days earlier and the post office didn't deliver them on time.

Of course, we were promised closing our regional mail sorting center would make absolutely NO difference in delivery time -- which none of us believed. My husband spoke to a business man a couple of weeks ago who said it recently took a time-sensitive letter a full month sent "registered mail" to get across the country. :mad:

After warmer days and most of our snow finally melting off, we had convinced ourselves spring was on the way. Then we got clobbered with another eight inches of snow overnight. Sounds like we got hit harder than anyone else in the region.

We're hoping the roads won't be too bad, but more snow is expected today. Temperatures will be frigid overnight again and we'll barely get up to freezing during the day for a while. :confused:

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  20. amber g

So I made a purchase through Ibotta at Boxed. I felt they were pricey but Ibotta was offering 10% off plus a $5 bonus on your first order. Boxed was giving 15% off and free shipping. I made a small order and Ibotta immediately let me know my 10% off was pending, no word on the bonus. I figured it would go through when my card was charged/order delivered. Well I look on Ibotta last night and the bonus is now $2. If it weren't for the $5 bonus I would not have made the order. I am on an Ibotta facebook page and apparently I am not the only one having this issue. I guess I will see what happens.

Last night we ended up going out and starting some summer shopping. My oldest is very picky so she usually doesn't buy a ton because she never likes anything. Kids needed new socks and underwear, Drew needed new shoes, found a few clothing items, came to $150. It adds up fast. Wanted to go to Kohls, but there was not coupons or discounts and I refuse to shop at Kohls without them.

Sherri1480 likes this.