Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. vickib50

vickib50 Well-Known Member Trader Group

@KmmCo, do you mean vanilla extract?

Sherri1480 likes this.
  2. jcdamomma

jcdamomma Member Trader Group

If the bagels are plain, you could make pizza bagels for lunch or dinner. We brought home some bagels leftover from swim meet concessions this weekend and you would have thought I served my son a gourmet meal when I made him a pizza bagel for dinner.

3. jastwins

jastwins Well-Known Member Trader Group

@KmmCo I use vanilla in baking and also in the egg mixture I use to make French toast. A gallon is a lot to use, but since you use small amounts each time it might take a while to use what you have.

I cashed in some cans today but the bottle machines were full. Last night we ate some leftovers from my sister's party and we finished it for lunch today. I will bring some of tonight's dinner for my lunch tomorrow.
    I paid some bills online today and saved 2 stamps. In my pantry I found some wet dog food and I will split Rosie's dry food in half while I finish up the extra. It will stretch out the expenxpsive dry food a little longer. Later I hope to list something on EBay since that is not a resolution I have kept up with for 2017.

Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  4. KmmCo

KmmCo Well-Known Member Trader Group

Yep - whole gallon of it!

DS must have decided the spaghetti and garlic toast wasn't enough for dinner. I ran to walmart for 30 minutes and he was eating a bagel with jelly when I came back. I am sure that they won't hang around too long.

Sherri1480 likes this.
  5. 3timesoccermom

3timesoccermom The Original Dinner Guru

Vanilla is a great room freshener too - you can put little dishes of it around the house to make it smell like something freshly baked.

Sherri1480, jastwins and KmmCo like this.
  6. KmmCo

Ughhhh - found a receipt DH threw on my desk for $41 that he spent on "junk" at Walmart on Saturday. To make things worse he took the money out of the Efund. Really Dude???? Good thing I still have that extra $60 I was gonna blow in Vegas in my wallet - I will run $41 back into the Efund next time I go to the bank. Anyway, I entered the receipt on Savings catcher along with the $11 I spent today for needed stuff.

I did get .50 credited on Ibotta for today's purchases. I have not been shopping as much this month, so it might take a while for me to reach that next $20. I am at $14.50 now....

The mail brought the rest of the free coke coupons today! (I got the property tax bill for the ski condo, but I have a while before I have to pay that.) I also got the neighbors mortgage statement - will go stuff that back into their mailbox in the daylight tomorrow - resisting the urge to be nosy - trying not to read it thru the envelope. Come to think of it I didn't even look at my statement online yet this month. I just saw the payment went thru my bank when I checked that the other day and didn't bother looking at the statement.

Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  7. KmmCo

Chicken potstickers for lunch - the frozen ones they sell at Costco. I cooked the whole bag and have enough for a couple of leftover containers for work. Today after I drop DS off at work, I am gonna go to Costco and pick up some more frozen things to keep handy for the rest of this month. In a way it is frugal because I can avoid eating out if I have stuff here that is easy to fix.

Cathy and Sherri1480 like this.
  8. XUfan

XUfan Member Of The Month May 2010 Trader Group

I just hit "send" for the final payment on the sofa!!! It was 24 months, same as cash. We got it paid off 10 months early!! NO interest!!!

I went to Kroger today and used $11 worth of coupons. $5.50 goes into the emergency fund box!

I got 2 envelopes full of coupons today. One was a train envie full of goodies and the other was from a trade. Both will help my grocery bill!

Our Kroger store is a Marketplace and has a big clothing department. They have the BEST clearance racks! Today, I got a top for my littlest granddaughter (for next Christmas) that was originally $25 for $4.97!

jamking75, Cathy, Lucky1307 and 3 others like this.
  9. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

Today I took a 2 1/2 hour nap. It was awesome. Bitty Bird has been on this awful sleep strike lately. She has baby FOMO (fear of missing out). so any way I can sneak in some sleep for myself is a win. She just passed out this AM.

Got an Influenster vox box in the mail with a bunch of samples and coupons (SCORE!). I was also selected to sample a few all natural products from one of the many sampling companies I signed up with.

Printed some coupons, cleaned out my purse and scanned some receipts into Receipt Hog.

We ordered some new organizing things from Home Depot. I ordered it online for in store pick up, paid with money in my paypal account from surveys.

Cashed out some survey money from PineCone and Vetrosmart.

There is a deal at Kmart right now, were you get $10 in points back, so I picked up some plastic bags (ziploc type). Ill get get them tomorrow. and I'll check my account before we go to see if I have any more mystery points/awards.

10. amber g

amber g Well-Known Member

Frugal day today, I spent no money, hubby ate out for lunch I'm sure. Ate lunch at work as usual. Right after work had to come home and grab Drew for his first hockey/skating class. I couldn't believe how many kids were there, at least 60 or more. Came home and hubby made brats and cheese dogs and we had suddenly salad that I made last night for today. Simple and quick. Hubby went to the gym and the kids and I sat town to watch some tv. Also, I got $15 in rebate checks today!

Lucky1307 and Sherri1480 like this.
  11. jastwins

Today I cashed in $5.80 in bottle receipts from last week and this week. My sister gave me some bottles and cans from her party plus some Coke reward caps. I put this money in my save .50 cents a day tin.
    Tonight I listed 3 things on EBay and sold one already. No bites on my Facebook posts yet. I may have to lower my prices. Tomorrow, all 3 girls are going to NYC to see a play on Broadway. They are seeing A Bronx Tale and will eat at Carmine's later. I already warned the teacher's about D1's shellfish allergy and D1 will bring Benadryl with her. While the girls are in the city, I will enjoy an afternoon at home. I can actually catch up on some phone calls I have to make and would like to add more things on EBay. I hope I make some progress in posting more items.
    I went through the remainder of my coupon inserts and tossed some more expired q's. I will file and organize the cut coupons tomorrow and hope to finish it completely.

12. KmmCo

~got $1.05 back on Savings Catcher from that receipt that DH dropped on the desk. My receipt is still pending.

I looked at a blog today from a lady that spends $100 a month on groceries for her family and watched some of her youtube videos. It inspired me to think about what is in the house that I can cook.... I realized that I need to use up some potatoes so I threw 4 into the oven tonight. I had one with some leftover canned chili and cheese. The extra ones will be sides for later in the week. Tomorrow night I am gonna attempt to make a ham and potato au gratin casserole that I found a recipe for in one of my cookbooks. I have everything I need for that casserole in the house.

Costco spend was $44 today and I decided not to go anywhere else due to lack of energy. I even bought one of those frozen mocha latte drinks at Costco and that didn't perk me up much.

Lucky1307, Sherri1480 and jastwins like this.
  13. joshmamabear

joshmamabear Member Of The Month Nov. 2011 Trader Group

I started applying for new bank sign up bonuses like the offer from Regions Bank posted on SD that I applied for, approved and now working on direct deposit.

I tried to copy n paste the link but it won't stick so check SD for Regions Bank, it's under Money. My goal for 2017 is to double the number I've done last year.

Bank bonuses are plentiful year round, although you pay taxes on them depending on your tax bracket, it's still lot of free money left to enjoy.

Lucky1307 and Sherri1480 like this.
  14. KmmCo

~Booked my next car rental for KS. I went with the priceline express deal and got Hertz for 1/2 the price that Costco rentals were listed at. Hertz and Enterprise are the 2 best companies there anyway IMO, so I am happy with that. The $40 under my normal car rental budget can be diverted to another category for February.:D

~ I also book 2 flights in the spring on reward miles - no money tied up and if I have to cancel because of weather it is fairly easy to rebook on SW.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. jastwins

Today I picked up a free calendar / appt book from my bank. I kept forgetting to pick one up when I was working during the holidays. I also picked up 2 for my sister and Dad.

I signed up online for thred up, an online consignment shop and will send some clothes from the girls that I have in the house but will not put on eBay. Not sure how it will work out but it is worth a try when I look at all the clothes I have home.

Today, I was able to cash out paidviewpoint for over $15 and transferred it to my paypal account. On eBay I sold a second item and hope to list more later. I made $8 in 24 hrs so I am happy with that.

Lunch was from home and dinner was from the pantry. I did cash in .60 in bottles and used it towards buying a half gallon of milk since we have none. I am trying to spend as little as possible until next paycheck and the only place I have to go is a dr. Appt for D1 next Tuesday. I need to put gas in my van and will put off grocery shopping until next week.

Cathy, Lucky1307 and Sherri1480 like this.
  16. KmmCo

After dropping DS at work, I ran into Kroger and picked up a few items. I was after a couple of produce items but I found a bunch of stuff on the markdown that I had to throw in the cart. 30 oz cookie dough for $1, Krusteaz pie crust mix $1.39 pilsbury quick bread .99,pioneer turkey gravy .29, Keebler ready crust $1.39, and a stuffed calzone in the deli for $2. I also got my friday free tortilla chips. The stuffed calzone will go perfect for a lunch with the little bit of spaghetti sauce I have leftover. I also got a package of egg noodles because that is one thing I am out of - always like to keep one package around for either soups or stroganoff.

~submitted $2 for Ibotta from the $19 grocery bill on the above items.

I made some sugar cookies after getting home, then I made my ham & potato au gratin since the oven was hot. I had enough potato left that I did a small potato and cheese side dish for later this week. The ham & potato stuff should make about 3 leftovers containers for sack lunches. I am gonna have my dinner early since the food is hot now.
    I am a bit hungry anyway as I had a small lunch - I made some individual pizzas from frozen. They were ones I got at Costco yesterday. (I cooked 2 extra for me to reheat at work this week.)

Next week we are going skiing for a few days - DS and I actually got a 4 day weekend at the same time. I think I will take the rest of the turkey breast from the freezer for a "Thanksgiving" dinner the first night. The leftovers will make sandwiches for lunch. I will come up with a meal plan for the rest of the days from what I have here in the house.

I already cleaned up the kitchen and started the dishwasher. The last load of laundry for this week is going into the dryer soon. No more chores tonight!

17. amber g

amber g Well-Known Member

Got a Target order in today. I paid $1.74 for 4 boxes of band-aids, shipped free to my house. It was a great price to stock up at, and should last a bit with 3 kids.

Hubby made chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for dinner tonight. It is suppose to get icy starting tomorrow night, so we went to Aldi tonight. Spent $75, more than I would have spent if I had gone alone because I stick pretty closely to the list but still not too bad. I still have to get to Walmart so I really hope the weather holds out. Friday is always a half work day for me, if I work. This Friday we only have one doctor in the office so he is actually thinking we may just cancel the day. That is ok with me, it will give me a long weekend plus if the weather is bad kids will be off school.

Hubby was just told that he will work from home for a bit starting next week. Next week the kids are off school Monday and Tuesday. He had already taken off Monday to stay home with them because my friend who watches them is out of town. Since he is working from home he said he will just keep them home Tuesday as well, that saves me $75 in daycare for that day!!!

Cathy, Lucky1307 and Sherri1480 like this.
  18. XUfan

Since the girl who cuts my hair was sick yesterday, I couldn't go for my haircut. I had 2 other errands in the same area, but I stayed home instead. There's no sense driving to the same place two days in a row, when I can get it all done at once and use half the gas.

I paid all of the bills online yesterday. This saves on stamps and/or gas. I know a lot of people already do this, but you'd be amazed at how many people still mail everything! I only mail 1 bill each month, and that's because they won't set up online billing unless you have it set up for automatic payment. I like having control, in case of a short paycheck.

Sherri1480, Lucky1307 and jastwins like this.
  19. jamking75

jamking75 Active Member

My DH always brings home the meeting "leftovers", bagels, pizza--NO ONE ever wants them, so he brings them home! I find that crazy, lol.
    As I am reading everyone's posts, I realize soooo many ways I am frugal. If the "outside world" knew, they'd think I was cuckoo! :) Here's a sample of what I've done over the past 2 weeks to save $$$:
    Cashed in $40 in Amazon gc from MySurvey for niece & nephew
    Cashed in $25 Stabucks gc from E-rewards for my other niece/boyfriend
    Found a penny, picked it up
    Gave my DD my $15 Ulta gc to use for makeup
    Used a $15 JCP q
    Used MULTIPLE coupons for today's food shopping---haven't shopped in about 10 days, cleaning out pantry/freezers/fridge
    Ate oatmeal bake for breakfast most of this week---it was a leftover from Sunday' church coffee hour
    Constantly monitoring every electric device in house---is that coffee maker still plugged in from this morning?! Lol
    Any many, many more things......
    It is a sickness, I tell ya! I won't buy a thing, go out to eat, etc w/o scrutinizing a way to make it cheaper! "Hello, my name is Colleen and I have a frugality problem.....":p

Gardencook, Cathy, Sherri1480 and 5 others like this.
  20. XUfan

This week's grocery trip was just for essentials...and a couple of sale items. So my total was small...but so was my coupon total, since it's hard to find coupons for milk, bread, produce, eggs, and bottled water. But, I used 4.50 worth of coupons, which puts $2.25 into the emergency fund box.

Now I'm staying home the rest of the day. I want to dig through the old photos and pull out some pics of my grandson as he was growing up. We're celebrating his 17th birthday on Saturday. His girlfriend will be there, and I'd love to let her see his pics when he was little!

jastwins and Sherri1480 like this.