Daily Frugal Challenge!

Discussion in 'Living The Frugal Life' started by MoneySavinDiva, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MoneySavinDiva

MoneySavinDiva Well-Known Member Trader Group

How about it ladies? A challenge to be accountable with the seemingly small and "unimportant" frugal tasks that we could take or leave each day. Money is super tight for us right now, and I've fallen off the frugal wagon these past few months, so now I need to get back on in a BIG way! Let's each come here and post what we've done each day to be frugal. Some of these tasks might not save a lot of money up front, but after awhile can add up....Pennies make dollars!! I know I could use the accountability - and who knows, you just might learn a new trick or remember an old one that you want to start doing again! I'll start!

Today I...

~ Cooked up a bag of beans in the crockpot for the Chili I have planned for this weekend (Instead of buying a can of beans for twice the cost!)
    ~ Ran out of Ziplock baggies to put the beans in, so I went to my basement and found 4 empty jelly jars that I was saving for no reason at all and froze the rest of the beans in them. Saved me gas from running to the store and money for bags I could do with out right now!
    ~ Decided I would start saving as many empty food containers as possible. I pack hubs' lunch each day, and it seems like those little containers never get brought back home! I've tried everything, including not packing lunch until I get containers back, but they STILL disappear at an alarming rate! If I send empty yogurt, etc. containers, I won't care if they just get tossed! So I cleaned out a produce bag and yogurt cup to start!
    ~ Unplugged appliances not used on a daily basis to save phantom energy
    ~ Started using cold water instead of hot to rinse dishes before going in the dishwasher
    ~ Requested the library get a copy of The Complete Tightwad Gazette, so I don't have to buy it myself.
    ~ AC is still turned off, windows open (YAY for no AC OR Heating bills right now!! :BigHand:)
    ~ Pulled a batch of goulash from the freezer for hubs' packed lunch tomorrow since tonight's supper won't yield many leftovers
    ~ Speaking of tonight's supper....I used the crockpot to make it = less electricity use than the oven!

Alright...who's with me? Let's hear what you've done today to be frugal!

2. STallerico

STallerico Well-Known Member Trader Group

Awesome Job
    Today I...
    Made DB lunch instead of him going out to eat.
    We are eating leftovers from last night instead of going to get fast food. (this is a big one for us) Trying to make larger portions at a time so it lasts for to meals.
    And i cleaned out the refrigerator..Don't know if that counts or not ..lol
    We always unplug appliances when we are not using them.

3. OneHotMomma

OneHotMomma Well-Known Member Trader Group

This is a good thread, I'm looking forward to learning new tips!
    Today I:

-Went without AC
    -made sure to wash laundry and dishes in off peak electric hours
    -froze leftovers from last night's dinner, cause I know they won't get eaten right away, in individual portions for DH's lunch
    -used up brown bananas I bought on discount for chocolate chip banana muffins

4. jenrose

jenrose <b>Note to Self:</b> Strangling<br>Pǝople is BAD! Trader Group

OMG MSD! I haven't seen you in forever! I miss you!

Oh and today I:
    Packed the boys lunch instead of letting them spend $2.50 each on yucky school lunch
    DH brought lunch to work with him as did I so hopefully no fast food.

5. OneHotMomma

OneHotMomma Well-Known Member Trader Group

Made a meal plan and store list
    stockpiled corn, oatmeal, and mushrooms
    Trying to figure out if I can can lentils in half pint jars - I sneak these in with hamburger dishes like homemade hamburger helper, you can't taste the difference and it stretches the beef

6. cody82414

cody82414 The Happy Hoo-ha Hacker<br>Member Of The Month Jan Trader Group

this!!!

and you'd better get in touch with me lil sis <3

7. MoneySavinDiva

You girls make me smile! I'm back!

8. MoneySavinDiva

Today's frugal schtuff...

- Sold some landscaping bricks leftover from the patio construction last fall that were just taking up space in our driveway.
    - Listed 3 other things for sale in the neighborhood online garage sale on Facebook. One is pending pickup.
    - Discovered extra money in my Paypal account. Transferred it to the bank account.
    - Walked to all of our errands instead of drive.
    - Finished up all of the leftovers in the fridge.
    - We're going to supper at my dad's tomorrow night, and I had originally volunteered to bring something that would require a trip to the store. Instead I pulled some brownies from the freezer, frosted them with some leftover birthday cake frosting in the fridge and found some sprinkles in the cupboard. Free contribution to the meal!
    - Kept the AC and Heat off today - windows open.
    - 4 loads of laundry all washed in cold water - 3 of them hung on the line to dry instead of using dryer.
    - Cleaned out two more empty food containers to keep as "tupperware".

How'd you ladies do today?

9. Abbybob

Abbybob Well-Known Member Trader Group

Oh, I like this thread, it will def. help keep me on track!

Today:
    -Sold some stuff on CL that was taking up room in our house
    -Tried Halloween costume on Lil Man to make sure it fit (I saved money because it fit!)
    -Updated the pantry and freezer inventories
    -Stockpiled chicken breasts and 2 pork tenderloins. Fresh and Easy has the best markdown meat!
    -Packaged up leftover blueberry muffins and froze them for future breakfasts for little man.
    -Ate Leftovers for dinner.
    -Received two rebate checks in the mail (SCORE!!).

10. Dengineer

Dengineer Well-Known Member Trader Group

I have been working on frugality too. I have a crazy scheme to try to live off one paycheck a month and save the other one at least for a few months.

These are the frugal things we are working on in general-- Last payday I put together a menu for the next 4 weeks. I used the store ads to buy what was on sale last week, and the family calendar to plan the meals--I hate having a dinner planned, something like roasted chicken that goes into the oven at 3, and then realizing that I won't be home that particular afternoon. So I took all that into consideration. I cook big meals when I know I'm going to be here and do crockpot stuff on the days I'm not. It's much easier now that's it all laid out on paper. And one week later, it's working out GREAT!

DH has been doing a lot of repairs--he fixed the tractor himself and has a big garage now to do oil changes and other vehicle repairs. He and his stepfather put a new roof on our house and saved us at least $3500. He is resealing the fireplace this weekend and we are working on harvesting firewood from our property to save on heating.

I am making a lot of Christmas presents this year. Most them are being made from things I already have--like cross stitch (I have tons of supplies), crocheted hats (again, tons of yarn) and a blanket for DD in the school colors here in our new town.

I try never to leave the house unless I have 2 or more things to do. Occasionally I have to, but I really try to combine errands whenever I can.

We don't have cable and only watch what we can get on an antenna. It saves money and keeps a lot of CRAP out of the house and out of our kids minds.

I pack my kids lunch once a week to save money. The school lunches here are great and the kids love them but I have them pick the day they like least and I pack them a lunch that day. It doesn't save much but it does help.

Specific things for today--

Work on DD's blanket and other Christmas items.
    Make pumpkin bread from frozen puree from pumpkins that I got last year for free.
    Work on the garden--we planted it late and it's just starting to produce.
    DH is getting a chain for his chainsaw today so we can cut another stack of firewood this weekend.

That's all I can think of right now.

11. MoneySavinDiva

Friday...

- We are small business owners, and I work primarily from home, but on Friday's and some Saturday's I go into the shop to work and do bookwork. So I made my own coffee before heading in and packed my lunch and a few snacks for while I was working.
    - My two year son old goes to an in home daycare on Friday while hubs and I are both at the shop. She offers breakfast, snacks and lunch as part of the daily cost. I usually feed him breakfast at home before we leave, but I decided this morning that since we're paying for her to feed him anyways, he could just eat there. Saved a little money I guess on not having to make another breakfast at home.
    - No lights, TV, etc. running at home since we were all gone all day
    - AC/Heat off. Windows open.
    - Sold another item I listed on the neighborhood garage sale site on Facebook.
    - I've been having issues with my laptop, which I use as my primary computer to do all of my business and bookwork stuff when I'm working from home. So, I brought it into the shop with me today and our IT guy fixed it for me. Saved me from having to drive an hour to the nearest Best Buy and from whatever fee they would have charged to fix it.
    - Took a survey for $2 ECB to CVS. Plan to use it towards a gallon of milk next time I'm near a CVS.
    - Sat down with hubs and brought him 100% up to speed on our finances and budget situation. We brainstormed ways to come up with extra and save more money to put towards our financial goals.

Happy Friday everyone!

12. everprincess

everprincess Energizer Bunny<br>-(\(\ She Keeps<br>( =':') Goin Trader Group

Glad to see you back on the boards MSD! Missed you!

13. Abbybob

Today we hit up costco and I bought the large bag of Disney nuggets, I came home and bagged them into serving bags. I can bring them along when we head out for the day and keep us from the drive-thru.
    Posted some more stuff on CL.
    Did some stockpile trading.
    Scored a free coffee at 7-11.
    Potluck playdate for lunch, and little man got to play with friends.

14. to1drland

to1drland New Member Trader Group

YAY!!!!! So great to see you back on here!:wavehi:

doing a load of laundry ...w/ 1/2 the recommended amount of laundry soap (appliance repair guy told me to use about 1/2 of what the bottle says, & I've not had any issues w/ stuff not getting clean....also wash in all cold)
    borrowed mom's carpet cleaner, instead of having to rent one
    no heat or AC here either...nice fresh air coming in.:BigHand:...although it is "dusty fresh air" due to drought
    boiling down veggie scraps from freezer & bones for stock to make chicken & noodles
    making iced tea & storing in single serve aluminum bottles in fridge.....way cheaper than buying it pre-made & probably better for us....now if only I could figure out how to make dh homemade "rockstar":giggle2:

15. jenrose

jenrose <b>Note to Self:</b> Strangling<br>Pǝople is BAD! Trader Group

DH is off doing side work.
    I'm taking the boys to the fire department open house today (free entertainment)
    Told them we may walk down instead of driving (a mile or so away)
    Think I'll take the sit stand stroller I have that I want to get rid of and tape a for sale sign on it. Ya never know someone might want to buy it. :wink7: Plus that way if the kids get tired the can take a rest on the walk down. And I'll have somewhere to put the stuff they collect while we are there. I'll bring a backpack though so if someone does want to buy it I have the backpack to carry stuff back in.

16. MoneySavinDiva

Saturday...

- It was my weekend to work at our shop, so lo hung out at my parents house for the morning so I wouldn't have to pay a sitter. He actually spent the night last night since we were there for supper, so I saved gas too, since I didn't have to drive to drop him off or later pick him up (my parents were in town doing some shopping, so they just dropped him off at the shop close to closing time when they were done shopping).
    - Kwik Star offered a coupon for a free cup of coffee on their Facebook page today, so I printed it off and enjoyed my coffee for free this morning, rather than making it at home :BigHand:
    - I packed mine and hubby's lunch for while we were working. We both ate breakfast at home, and lo & I ate supper at home and hubs ate at a wedding (I ended up leaving the wedding early because lo was acting out. Boo, no cake :sad3:)
    - Finished up the budget for October and did some adjusting to September.
    - AC/Heat off...windows open
    - Emptied out some more food containers...cleaned them up for future "tupperware" usage
    - Finished up the menu plan for next week
    - Did some paid emails
    - I needed to return a shirt for a smaller size to Old Navy, but the closest ON is an hour away. My parents were going to a town with an ON tonight, so when they dropped LO off to me this afternoon, they took the shirt to exchange for me so I don't have to make a special trip.
    - Have tried to use electricity as minimally as possible today!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

17. motherofmolly

motherofmolly The Mushroom MoM-ma Trader Group

my girls and i started a friday movie night. i pick the oldest up from school on friday and stopped at the movie rental store (on the way home). let the girls get a movie ...you get a free microwave popcorn with a movie so we go that. we then had frozen pizza, a movie and microwave popcorn and m&m's for movie snacks. the m&m's were the singles that i got at kroger for cheap after double and i also picked up a 2liters of store rootbeer earlier in the week for drinks. this was our cheap "entertainment" for the weekend. we will do this again next friday.

this week i recycled a goodwill dress jumper that didnt fit my dd in the waist. i made it into a skirt with a quick cut and a little elastic. she loves it.

now, off to finish taking down the laundry off the garage line and putting up more.

18. MoneySavinDiva

Sunday...

- Drank coffee at church instead of making it at home (their's tastes way better than mine anyways! I need to find out what brand they're using!)
    - Hubs changed the oil in our SUV this afternoon - he even found a rebate form for the oil and filter!
    - I got two rebates ready to mail. I only had one stamp - but found 2 postcard stamps in the bottom of my junk drawer...they've been there for well over a year, so I just popped both of those on one envelope instead of buying more stamps right now.
    - We had a church group tonight and had to take a small snack to share - I decided instead of going to the store to buy something, I'd use the last of the brownies from the freezer. I was out of frosting, so I just whipped up a half batch of peanut butter frosting. I froze what I didn't use for next time I need some frosting.
    - Started using Swagbucks again. I'm hoping to have a few gift cards saved up to put towards Christmas gifts.
    - Started contacting companies for coupons again. Contacted my daily 3 and then worked on a list of companies to contact in the future.
    - Made supper in the crockpot instead of stovetop.
    - Ran out of chili powder, so I found a recipe to make my own instead of buying it.
    - AC/Heat off....windows open
    - We didn't have any lights on today, and the TV was only on for a very short time to watch some football.
    - We're running low on milk, so I decided it's high time I get to using the OJ concentrate stockpile that's been in my deep freeze for far too long. I mixed up a pitcher that should last us a week or so.

19. Abbybob

We were gone most of the day, we did our local AIDS walk 5k. That meant all the lights were off and windows were cracked for breeze.
    We scored some free snacks (Oranges, bananas, water) after the walk to take home.
    Family Dinner at my brother and SIL's- we brought a side dish that I made from leftover veggies.
    We're using up our free RedBox Codes- It's so great to be able to rent a movie for .33 (tax).

I'm off to soak my feet in epsom salts and do my meal plan for the week, and my weekly blog outline. This week is going to be frugal too!

20. to1drland

to1drland New Member Trader Group

Sunday-
    heat & AC off here too
    line dried rugs instead of using dryer
    made pitcher of sun tea
    mixed up a batch of "blackened seasoning"
    used powdered milk to make the au gratin potatoes at lunch today, since we were almost out of milk & wanted to save what was left in the jug for drinking.
    shelled dried green beans from the garden for next years seeds
    dried bread heals & stale buns for bread crumbs in the pantry

MSD- What kind of shop did you & your Dh start?....ya know I'll soon be doing my annual fall trip up north ...may need to stop in and say :hello1: :wink7: