Other Cutting the Cable Cord - Home Telephone Question.

pasharain

(ง︡'-'︠)ง ♥ Quasher of Dead Links ♥
I am strongly considering cutting the cable cord, but without a cable package a home phone would cost $30 a month. I need a land line for various reasons...does anyone know of a cheap home phone "carrier." I remember there used to be "internet phone" services. Anyone use one that is good? Thanks so much!

I realize this is an old post (8/18) but for anyone having this question / concern, I may be able to answer. The "internet phone" technology is VOIP, standing for voice over internet protocol. Perhaps not a surprise that it does just that... provides voice communication over the internet. I'm sure there are now dozens or options for VOIP technology but the three that come to mind off the top of my head are Ooma (which I have), Magic Jack and Google Voice. Let's see what Wikipedia has to say:

Ooma: Ooma, Inc., or Ooma, is an American publicly traded consumer telecommunications company based in the Silicon Valley, California area. Ooma offers Voice over IP calling using an Internet connection to support a range of communications solutions for small business, home and mobile users.

Magic Jack: magicJack is a device that plugs into a USB port on the user's computer and has a standard RJ-11 phone jack into which any standard phone can be plugged.

Google Voice: Google Voice is a telephone service that provides call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging, as well as U.S. and international call termination for Google Account customers

With that said, I can only talk about my Ooma Telo. It's a set top box connected to my router/modem. I use my own supplied cordless phone and after the cost of the box (was around $120) I pay $4.66 for FCC charges for the service. That's $4.66 compared to what was $30/mo. on our "bill us all you can" cable / internet / phone bundle. I now pay $39.99/mo for internet only and I stream all TV/movie programming free so there's no need for that extra $120 a month to go to an ISP (internet service provider).

It's been about 7-8 years now with the Ooma so it's more than paid for itself. We've had no issues at all with one exception ... if power goes out, the phone (and internet) goes out. The olden day "landlands" would not be affected by power but any cable or satellite phone would. But hey... most of us have access to cell phones these days.

I totally agree with the original poster ... I love having the "land line" for receiving answering machine messages, which is built into the Ooma Telo.

Want pricing? There are so many ways to price shop and chop. I have seen refurbs on Groupon and Walmart for around $50. There's of course Amazon, Best Buy, Ebay and ... well, scores of stores and pricing should be in a $100-$150 range.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Thumbs up on your decision to cut the cord. My wife and I have zero regrets about completely nixing the $100+ a month cable subscription cost that was not giving us the value for the money. Without question the hardest part of the decision came from the phenomenon known as FOMO (fear of missing out) but that $1200 a year has been used in far more valuable ways in our budget. We have found web sites and apps, over-the-air antenna programming and free "streaming" resources accessible with our internet connection only, reasonably priced at $39.99/mo. The Ooma mentioned above cut another $25 or so per month for the home portion of our former "bill us all you can" bundle. There are so many ways to cut costs of the cord without cutting the value. Some choose to use devices like Fire Stick or Roku which are one-time device costs. Others choose to use one or more combinations of pay services like Philo, Sling, YouTube TV, Hulu TV, Netflix, Disney Plus, etc. ((I read an article that there are over 200 apps and web sites out there with different price points and programming)) ... Looking for specific programming? Check out apps like "Reel Good" or "Just Watch." Free, and legal, apps on the internet or in your device play stores worth looking at include: Pluto TV, Xumo, Crackle, Vudu Free, YouTube Free and Tubi TV. Even if you reduce your monthly cost from $100 to $50 a month, you'll find $600 over the next year that will let you prove a better bang for the buck instead of watching the "Big Bang Theory." None of your options need to be all or nothing. Everyone's mileage will vary. Want another cool tool for comparison? Check out www.cobblecord.com.

Gardencook

Trader Group
We dumped cable several years ago and have never looked back. We've got Roku and will never find the time to work through all the viewing options we have with it.

We've considered going with a pay package to get a few of the cable channels we used to have, however, we never seem to find much on hotel cable when we travel so don't see the need.

The only channel we currently "pay" for is a $60 per year donation to our local public television station. When you donate at that level you get a subscription to "PBS Passport" which allows you to stream a huge library of old PBS programming as well as watching current programming on demand if you happen to miss the local broadcast.

jastwins

※Kaboom!・:・:・゜
Trader Group
D3 set up the R oK. u for me yesterday and today my cable company sent me an email for my new optimum voice order. I called optimum but the customer service rep was not helpful. They said they will look into it but I have a feeling I will call them again.