Crunchy homemade granola

JANE4girls

Member Of The Month July 2008
Trader Group
I have really been wanting to make more stuff from scratch vs buying it in the store. One of the things I have been dying to try is homemade granola. We love granola, but it is so expensive.

What you need:

4 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup shelled, raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 1/2 cups chopped or sliced almonds
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1 1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 325º. Combine oats, sunflower seeds, almonds and cinnamon until mixed well. Add maple syrup and oil and still until everything is moist.

Spread granola on a 12x17 rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes and then stir and flip the granola over. Bake another 15-20 minutes stirring in between. Watch the last few minutes so it does not over brown.

Cool on a rack or eat your first bowl hot. Put into and airtight container and store for up to a month or freeze for up to six months. Enjoy cold or hot by warming milk before serving. Makes 8 cups.

N

neverfullprice

This sounds really good. Do you know approximately how many calories per cup?

Thanks!

JANE4girls

Trader Group
This sounds really good. Do you know approximately how many calories per cup?

Thanks!

Okay without knowing the calories of the sunflower seeds I took in account the total calories used for everything else and came up with 359 calories per 3/4 cup serving. You would just have to figure out how many calories are in 1 cup of sunflower seeds and divide by 10 9because this makes 10 servings) and add it to that total.

hope that helps:wavehi:

zoeys_mom

Mod Of The Month Aug. 2009
Trader Group
nope, no idea, lol...but I know it costs approximately 43¢ per 3/4 cup serving.

Is that figuring in the cost of the oatmeal? I have free oatmeal right now and am just trying to calculate what my oop will be on this. I want to see if it is worth it to get my dh to make some for me :hysterical:

JANE4girls

Trader Group
Is that figuring in the cost of the oatmeal? I have free oatmeal right now and am just trying to calculate what my oop will be on this. I want to see if it is worth it to get my dh to make some for me :hysterical:

the prices calculated to make this are all before coupons and sales prices, so yes, as couponers we can make this way cheaper with stockpile items :giggle2: