From "What's for Dinner" Viral Thread Crock Pot Refried Beans

C

chitownmelli

This is the recipe that I always lose, it's time for it to be posted in the forum lol!!! It's very easy and very good, and it's perfectly delicious without the refrying part!!

Ingredients:

3 cups beans (you would generally use pintos) I used 2 c pinto and 1 c small read beans - you do not need to soak them.
1 1/2 c diced onion
4 cloves garlic, or some garlic powder
7 c water
(optional) some fried / crumbled bacon

Directions:

Put everything in the slow cooker - cook on high for 1-2 hours, and then cook on low for 10 hours or until nice and mushy and then smash with a potato masher. Then eat them all!!!! :D

Also posted HERE in "Viral" Thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

robynadams75

This is the recipe that I always lose, it's time for it to be posted in the forum lol!!! It's very easy and very good, and it's perfectly delicious without the refrying part!!

Ingredients:

3 cups beans (you would generally use pintos) I used 2 c pinto and 1 c small read beans - you do not need to soak them.
1 1/2 c diced onion
4 cloves garlic, or some garlic powder
7 c water
(optional) some fried / crumbled bacon

Directions:

Put everything in the slow cooker - cook on high for 1-2 hours, and then cook on low for 10 hours or until nice and mushy and then smash with a potato masher. Then eat them all!!!! :D

I tried a crock pot recipes for refried beans once and they were not good so I've stuck to the cans. I wonder if your secret is the bacon? I may have to try this!

C

chitownmelli

I really think the secret is the things that are added like the bacon and onion --- I made a batch and forgot those things (or didn't have them on hand maybe) and ew... I also add spices to mine like cumin and chili powder, that is totally optional though :)

K

Kim1013

So do you recommend using bacon in this recipe? Do you think it would work to use the bacon grease from cooked bacon instead of adding the bacon or does the bacon cook down enough too that you can't even tell it's in there? I've always wanted to try making my own refried beans.

C

chitownmelli

I have used just the grease before and it was fine :) I like my beans a little chunky anyway so when I smoosh them I never really noticed the bacon because of the bean chunks :)

K

Kim1013

Thanks. I'm going to have to try this. I've always wanted to and making them in the crockpot is even better!

C

cheap-o

We have made crockpot refried beans many times. We found out that you need a bit of fat for them. Bacon grease, Pork ends rendered down work too. We have even put a few spoonfulls of lard it in. You also need to add a lot of garlic salt or garlic and salt. Sometimes we put in a chili or Jalapeno